Author Topic: About the spamming issue  (Read 3038 times)

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
About the spamming issue
« on: June 05, 2007, 11:53:10 am »
Reading through various different topics recently of people whinging about how the forums are degrading into a pile of horse turd, I thought I might propose something which might potentially stop conflict between members over the whole 'bash-pit/lounge spamming' situation.

What I propose is that a temporary bash pit is put in place. For a short period of time, say a week, just to observe the effect it has on the lounge and the board itself. In exactly the same style as in the old forums.

I propose it in a way of observing what the forums might be like if a permanent bash pit was put in place and also in a way of lowering the hostility of certain members of the forum towards the admins/mods.

I'm sure this might sound appealing to people like Chakra who would probably not be able to contain the dribble at the thought of having reason to insult, at any relative point, belligerant members through the fact that they had messed up their one chance to act sensibly and use smart humour like mature adults.

Whether the temporary bash pit is succesful or not, it would be advantageous either way, so I see no reason as to why it's not a good idea.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Re: About the spamming issue
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 12:10:05 pm »
I've given this some thought as well, and I think it's a good idea.

I always liked the lounge, at least for what good I've seen in it. It's a shame that so much bad stuff have infested the place, 'cause I really don't think the somewhat chaotic state is it's nature.
And so, I hope getting a bashpit could help concentrate the ****ty stuff elsewhere, and leave the good stuff in the lounge.

I support it.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 12:16:42 pm »
Too many people come here to blow off steam and talk about their day. A bash pit is the most recommended place to put your steam in and let it rot among the several piles of shit and spam.

So a 7-day trial for the bash pit is in order to see how old and new members react.

Support.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 12:21:48 pm »
Too many people come here to blow off steam and talk about their day. A bash pit is the most recommended place to put your steam in and let it rot among the several piles of **** and spam.

So a 7-day trial for the bash pit is in order to see how old and new members react.

Support.
Kid... were you even around when we had the bash pit?
@ii

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 12:23:27 pm »
No, but he's actually making sence.. Now there's something I never thought I'd witness. I think he's right.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:27:40 pm »
I don't think it'll make things better. Yes people will spam in i...but it's gonna be so bad now when the bashpit has been gone for so long. Then they remove it and what, will they stop? NO!

Yeh i don't like it :P

OBEY!!!

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 12:33:33 pm »
I'm not following.. You're saying it'll be hard to adjust to it?
I disagree. In fact, the thing I like about this idea is that people will have no choice but to let the bad air out in there, otherwise their stupid threads will be locked.

And what's even better is that when people bitch up about their lounge threads being locked, you can go like, "Well, you should've posted your irrelevant crap in the bashpit, mate".

I would never use the bashpit. I actually think the concept of having one is completely lame, but, as I see it, called for unfortunately. I wouldn't appreciate having it here, but whatever it takes to redeem the forums, yeah?

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 12:53:21 pm »
I don't think it'll make things better. Yes people will spam in i...but it's gonna be so bad now when the bashpit has been gone for so long. Then they remove it and what, will they stop? NO!

Yeh i don't like it :P

He's sort of making sense. Let me put it this way: You give a dog a bowl of food, let him eat some of it for a while, then, suddenly, you take it away just as the dog started to enjoy eating the food. The dog wants more food. The dog will misbehave for a while.

Is that it?

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 04:18:10 pm »
Don't worry, it won't be done, no matter how hard people want it.

Long live Nazi-Communism!

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 04:35:56 pm »
He's sort of making sense. Let me put it this way: You give a dog a bowl of food, let him eat some of it for a while, then, suddenly, you take it away just as the dog started to enjoy eating the food. The dog wants more food. The dog will misbehave for a while.

Is that it?

Yeah something like that. All the ppl here are spammers so if the bashpit becomes reality everyone will start something there. Then they remove it and do you think they'll stop? I don't think so. I don't have a great memory of this but if i recall it correctly in the beginning of the new forum there was a lot of spam in the lounge.

If they create a bashpit then it has to stay...end of story.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 04:39:12 pm by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 04:40:20 pm »
All the ppl here are spammers...
lie.
It's almost everyone. I don't spam.

In order to prevent the proposed Bashpit from hogging all of the server's memory, maybe topics which have been inactive for a week or more get deleted?

Eh, a Bashpit would be okay, and it might stop people from spamming, but this is the internet, and there will be clueless, arrogant, semi-literate 12-year-olds who will not be able to resist not reading the rules and bumping months-old topics.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 04:57:14 pm »
I like this idea. I wasn't active on the old forums (had an account there though) so I don't know much about what its like, but it sounds fun.

Eh, a Bashpit would be okay, and it might stop people from spamming, but this is the internet, and there will be clueless, arrogant, semi-literate 12-year-olds who will not be able to resist not reading the rules and bumping months-old topics.
^^^^
That about sums up how I feel about this.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 05:01:08 pm »
All the ppl here are spammers...
lie.
It's almost everyone. I don't spam.
Note that I didn't bold that "All" ;P

Um and my definition of spamming here on the forum: Something that's useless to the topic. Thus making your remark on my post spam ;D So almost everyone spams then IMO.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 05:03:12 pm by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 05:51:19 pm »
The oldies all know what had happened with the bashpit, it was a dash of funny and a lot of stupid.

When it went away, most of the stupid just stopped showing up. the rest leaked into the rest of the forums.

Do we need to retest this?

with a nice embarrassing warning level o' meter, everything is pretty much peachy
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 06:55:04 pm »
The moderators are - yet again - having a private discussion about bringing the bash pit back.  This one is going even worse than the others (for the people who want the bash pit back).

For once the moderators are looking at how things used to be and how they are now, in detail, and comparing things to the archives of the old forums.

It doesn't look like the bash pit is coming back, even temporarily.  I'll let you guys know what goes on as we talk about it more

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 07:15:03 pm »
Thanks Flab, I don't expect it to get anywhere, but if you don't ask there's no chance of getting.

Just for anyone that cares, I'm neutral on wanting the bash-pit back. I just feel that the only way to get this community jump started into wanting to have a laugh and a good time again is by first reconciling this issue with hostility towards admins and mods.

Offline Valorman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 12:19:02 pm »
I support either way. It would be interesting to see the topics that would pop up in there.   [retard]

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 09:31:04 am »
For the record, I don't know what spamming problem you're talking about and I think that you (or anyone who is complaining about a spam problem) is crying wolf.  Spamming about a non-existent spam problem is:
1) stupid
2) a good way to get banned

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 02:47:04 pm »
For the record, I don't know what spamming problem you're talking about and I think that you (or anyone who is complaining about a spam problem) is crying wolf. Spamming about a non-existent spam problem is:
1) stupid
2) a good way to get banned

I is crying wolf, eh? Well if it's evidence that you want to spit in my face:

Click
Click
Click
Click
Click
Click

I've never had a problem with you or your actions flab and I (obviously wrongly) figured you wouldn't have a problem with a discussion being brought up about a problem that is obvious throughout The Lounge and it's posters. Whether a new Bash-Pit is a good thing or not, I couldn't care. The pure intention in the creation of this thread was to form some kind of truce between what the community wants and what the admins will allow. So if you decide what I'm doing is stupid and you're going to ban me for it then I really could not give a shit.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 04:03:31 pm »
This is the same problem that every other forum faces. Probably about a million of forums out there died because they either don't remedy this problem, or doesn't have enough members to keep it alive.

I believe you, panzer, but this is a common problem, I think.