Author Topic: Help Requests  (Read 18377 times)

Offline grand_diablo

• Soldier
  • Veteran of Cartography
Help Requests
« on: September 11, 2006, 01:43:34 am »
Youre having problems with finishing your map?

You need some nice textures and havent found any suitable yet?

You need some special sceneries that havent been created yet?

Your map needs some poly debugging or shape optimizations?

You find your map's shading ugly and need some talented person to retouch the looks?

Your bots keep standing still or running into walls and you need someone to edit proper waypoints?

PUT YOUR REQUEST IN HERE!

Please keep in mind, that your request should be as detailed as possbile so willing people have an easier job to help you. Supply sketches/drawings/photos, descriptions or in case of debugging/waypointing (or similar) needs, a download link to your map and needed resources.
[/color]

Requests for WHOLE maps have to be posted in the mapping idea forum. This  thread is meant for maps that are mostly finished.
"Remember, remember the 5th of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot." (V in "V for Vendetta")

Offline Real

• Major(1)
Re: Help Requests
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 06:13:41 am »
Well, I guess I need help with my first map.

It's basicly finished, but I somehow can't add proper shading to it, it always looks very weird when I do it.So maybe somebody with more experience can fix that.

Plus I still need waypoints for my map, I do understand how to make them, but I guess it's better if somebody more experienced adds them.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:16:53 am by Real »

Offline KamikazeDuck

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 08:55:25 pm »
grand_diablo, isn't this what the whole Mapping Help / Resouces are for? Oh wellĀ  ;)

Real, the shading probably isn't working properly because you have polygons overlapping. Shading overlapping polygons which are overlapping can look good and give your map a Soldat-style feel but if you don't do it well it can end up looking too spikey and rushed.

If you're not using it, switch to Polyworks. In polyworks you are able to "Snap to verticies" this means all the corners of the polygons (when the corners are placed together) will allign. What this enables you to do is create your maps in these two ways:

These ways are easier to shade than when you have overlapping polygons.

The downside to using this shading method for your map is that you will need to recreate all the polygons of your map. To do this, you'd need to use the new feature of Polyworks, the sketch tool to outline all the polygons in your map (not the individual polygons but the sections of land). Then you would delete the polygons and start placing new ones using the "Snap to verticies" function.

Remember to save the map before doing any of this in case you make a mistake or something weird happens.

Hope this helps!

JUNGLE | ART | PIRATE | RADIATION | DESERT | UFO

Offline Real

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:51:50 am »
Thank you for the answer, I'll try it.:)

Offline w00titsme

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 04:52:19 pm »
how do i make scenery for like a builidng where it collides with players?also with polyworks how do i multi-texture?
Make your Coca Cola fresh!

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 06:19:48 pm »
how do i make scenery for like a builidng where it collides with players?

Place the scenery on the FRONT position.  Then add polygons behind it.  If you set the scenery on any position besides the FRONT position, the polygon will appear over it.

also with polyworks how do i multi-texture?

http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=6371.0
-Read this tutorial.  Practice multitexturing a few times and you will quickly get it.

Also, if you want to make multi-textures of your own, use Rainrider's Texture Splitter (dunno why he called that, it's should be named "Texture Blender," IMO).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:22:25 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Ransom

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 02:27:46 pm »
So to have multiple textures you have to edit the textures outside of Polyworks? I've read like every forum on this and still can't figure it out.
In ur house, steelin' ur pie.

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 04:43:50 pm »
So to have multiple textures you have to edit the textures outside of Polyworks? I've read like every forum on this and still can't figure it out.

Did you try this one?
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=91.from1149831093

If you want to use custom textures your going to have to use something other than poylworks. This program is free and functional....
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-win/

Offline Ransom

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 06:39:14 pm »
Cool dude. I've got it now and(hopefully) some awesome maps will come soon.
In ur house, steelin' ur pie.

Offline mre521

• Major(1)
CTF Map
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 06:15:53 pm »
Help! I need help with the CTF map i am doing called CTF_Underground. My problem is the waypoints I made aren't doing what I want them to do. Can someone please fix the waypoints on this map?  :)
NOTE: I used Soldat Polyworks to make this map.
http://individual.utoronto.ca/caek/Soldat_PolyWorks.zip

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 07:05:58 pm »
I'm on it. But to be honest with ya, that map has a horrible layout. Try going for something like ctf_Run or ctf_Laos in the future. It's also pretty bland in terms of polygon/background colors, texture stretching, and scenery usage (unless you were planning on adding more later)

EDIT Done. Aside from waypointing it fully, I tweaked it up a bit in all those fields I mentioned above except the background colors (to exploit the torches fully).

http://h1.ripway.com/Keron%20Cyst/CTF_Underground.PMS
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:31:51 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline mre521

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 05:33:23 pm »
Thanks Keron. That was a big help!
And that is not a finished map i was just going crazy aver makong simple waypoints.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 07:58:01 am by mre521 »

Offline Enzym

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 06:14:33 pm »
Hi. I Have Just Started Making My First Map.
But I Am Having Trouble Getting It To Work Propely.

My Problem Is:
In Some Places Of My Map, The Bottom For Example.
The Player Suddenly Bounces, When He Walks Over A Polygon.

Could Somebody Please Take A Look At My Map,
And Tell Me What I'm Doing Wrong?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 06:16:28 pm by Enzym »

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 06:52:36 pm »
It could be the polygon peaks; you didn't connect the vertices completely. If you're using PolyWorks, make sure "Snap to Vertices" in the Edit section is checked, and grab batches of vertices and Join Vertices ([CTRL] + J) if they aren't unconnected; you can easily tell if they aren't by zooming in.

I've done that, and in addition I also covered them with minor peaks just to ensure they don't interfere again; even Marcinkowski did so himself, in various sections on the upper path of ctf_B2b. They look horrible, but it's your map, of course, so you can change whatever you like... :)

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Lifeā„¢
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 02:18:20 am »
Nobody seems to be posting on my old topic, so I figured asking here might help.

I have absolutely no eye for sceneries, in fact I tend to avoid them. I'm often told to put 'em in, but I have no clue what to use or where to start ('boulders' or 'trees' aren't specific enough). So any points on what and where to use sceneries are what I'm looking for.

Here's hoping I'm not breaking some unspoken rule by posting here ...

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 09:58:10 am »
No, you aren't. I'm not sure why this thread was unstickied; it's happened before to other random pinned threads as well.

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Lifeā„¢
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 01:31:36 pm »
Maybe you have an evil moderator on the loose. I mean, it's always possible, right ?

I've realisticaly lowered my expectations, I'd like suggestions for the scenery pack I should use.

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline rithlore

• Major(1)
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 01:06:23 pm »
i need help with getting the map on the game ive spent a very long time making it  only i have trouble with compiling it

plz help me
~rithlore
have a great weapon mod on my server :D

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 01:22:40 pm »
If you're using Soldat PolyWorks, go to File, and Compile to PMS. Don't save again after that; compile already saves on its own.

But if you're using MapMaker or MapMaker Plus, you'll have to save after you compile

Offline rithlore

• Major(1)
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 02:30:07 pm »
i did that loooked on soldat it wasnt there
(using mapmaker)
have a great weapon mod on my server :D