Author Topic: LandWarrior 3.0!  (Read 41594 times)

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
Re: LandWarrior 2.0
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2007, 01:09:50 pm »
The other US modern/cold war mortar just looks like a PVC pipe and any mortars of calibers below that are from WWII, unless you also look in grenade launchers, which I think you don't want to do. Didn't find any pictures for foreign small mortars, but I can look into it.

5 man mortar...meh, if you can use a minigun like it was a BB rifle, then I think you could man a 5-man mortar by yourself lol.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline ChromedGun

• Camper
  • Angel of Death
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2007, 01:11:13 pm »
When you say its served by 5 people, do you count in that guy in the background who looks lost or is there anyone outside the picture? =P The guy to the left doesn't seem to do anything either, lol.

Ontopic: I tried your mod and it confused me. Most of the guns pretty much look the same and operate the same. When it's about your mod, I'm like the guy in the background @ the mortar picture, I'm all puzzled and outside the action.

@Kryp -- go buy some skills. use /command to bring up the commands.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2007, 01:12:08 pm »
No, 5-man mortar is right, look it up on Wikipedia. it says the M252 is a 5-man mortar :P
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2007, 01:22:46 pm »
Long time ago I was lookin for one-man US mortar for Soldat I didn't found any BUT I found that theres UK production mortar (~40-50mm) that's used by one men. Try to find it at Wikipedia.

Offline Taehl

• Camper
  • When a fool hears about Tao, he just laughs.
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2007, 01:23:07 pm »
ChromedGun:
Soldat has a good formula for gun balance, which I borrowed from. I, however, pushed the guns each more towards specific niche roles, and tried to make it so that each one had a weakness that could be exploited by some other gun. While the MP7 has good damage and low recoil, it's not got much range. The Forces, XM8, or Scout would generally defeat it. On the other hand, /those/ guns can be defeated by the Tar-21, Nova, and Forces, respectively. And so on and so forth, until you have a chain of advantage/disadvantage that spans every gun and returns to where it started. That, for me, is balance.

EDIT) [/poetry] Or, at least, that's what I was/am trying for.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 01:24:51 pm by Taehl »
"The balance is perfect. The flow is perfect. The speed is perfect. This... Is the absolute best mod on the site."  - mxyzptlk
"THIS IS PROBABLY... scratch that ...this IS the best mod I have seen before. Dang man, nice job!"  - Dorkey Dear
"Whoa! This is the best mod ever!!!"  - imacheater2k7      "Looks like a beaut. On a rating, 6/5"  - Radical Terrorist
New and improved: LandWarrior 3.0

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2007, 02:27:32 pm »
People think that balance is everygun being able to defeat every other gun, but what you described is true, theoretical, balance.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2007, 02:55:17 pm »
I found a mortar to model mine on. I shall explain how my mortar works:

* You have to be crouched or prone to use it
* You can use it like a rocket-launcher and fire it on a fairly flat line, if you really want.
* However, it fires cluster 'nades. This means that if you fire it straight, you only get one explosion. If you fire in an arc, however, you get a spread of explosions.
* Max range is about 1.5 screens.
* Before you can fire, you must deploy it (done by holding fire, takes about 3 seconds). Deploying and undeploying (which is instant) have specific sounds.
* Once deployed, it stays deployed until you release the mouse button. This means you can fire faster, since you don't have to deploy it again, but means you are fairly immobile.
* The more you fire without pausing, the more inaccurate your shots get.
* It tends to toss bodies around like the WW2 trench mortars did (except the bodies' clothes stay on, though  ;) )
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 04:10:52 pm by Taehl »
"The balance is perfect. The flow is perfect. The speed is perfect. This... Is the absolute best mod on the site."  - mxyzptlk
"THIS IS PROBABLY... scratch that ...this IS the best mod I have seen before. Dang man, nice job!"  - Dorkey Dear
"Whoa! This is the best mod ever!!!"  - imacheater2k7      "Looks like a beaut. On a rating, 6/5"  - Radical Terrorist

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2007, 03:39:16 pm »
Taking advantage of the autofire feature that is thankfully part of the LAW, eh? Not too shabby. Great idea with the cluster; I can see that it'll works just like the mortar in Worms. Hit the ceiling, and you'll rain down bomblets. Hit the ground, they'll still be hit with bomblets. Direct-fire is still possible and can be extremely powerful if aimed right (and it gets more accurate when shot onto an uphill slope) but there's a definite minimum range... Wise use of the cluster, Taehl.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2007, 03:48:08 pm »
Thank you kindly. As for hitting the ceiling, though, it seems Soldat always aims the bomblets upwards, meaning it doesn't rain. But I think it'll work well, so long as you don't try to use it in a map with a low ceiling.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2007, 04:27:55 pm »
No, it scatters down when it hits the ceiling -- I've done extensive testing with cluster-firing weapons.

Or was that a 1.3.X feature?
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2007, 05:01:28 pm »
EDIT) Wait, I think it has something to do with speed. I just tweaked the speed (can't remember which way) of the thing, and all of a sudden it works as you said :D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 05:26:00 pm by Taehl »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2007, 05:38:12 pm »
Oh, neat. Glad I could help. ^^
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2007, 08:02:37 pm »
Okay, the mortar is fully implemented and, I think, balanced. I still need to know what to do with the chainsaw/bomb, though.

(Looks rather sci-fi-ish, I know. It's mainly because of the computer sight (and because the sight is near the end, since it's not telescoped).)

EDIT) Updated the pic.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:26:20 pm by Taehl »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2007, 08:08:16 pm »
Wait, did you put that image upside down? Looks to me the base plate (on the left) is facing to the upper left, which doesn't make sense for a mortar...
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2007, 08:21:41 pm »
Actually, that one has no baseplate attached. If there was one, it'd attach to that nub on the bottom-left. Should I add one?

And good news, LandWarrior players:
LandWarrior is getting a server!

My friend has offered to host a server for us. It'll be up shortly, if you all want one. He would also like to know what maps should be run (if it's not an official map, please provide a link).

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2007, 08:40:50 pm »
Will it be hosted in the US?

Some maps:
Lagrange, Arena, and Ratcave, if it's DM
B2b, Ash, And Voland if it's CTF.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2007, 08:44:45 pm »
Actually, that one has no baseplate attached. If there was one, it'd attach to that nub on the bottom-left. Should I add one?

Yes, otherwise it seems more like an odd stinger missile system.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2007, 09:27:14 pm »
Okay, how is it now? (pic was updated)

And yes, eastern US.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 10:44:44 pm by Taehl »

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2007, 10:56:06 pm »
so how you said you fixed the deagles and m79 thing earlier, do i have to re-dl it and all or what?
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline Taehl

• Camper
    • Pixel Perfect
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2007, 11:04:39 pm »
It's fixed in version 2.1. However, I'll attach a zip with the proper files to tide you over until then.