Author Topic: WHY WON'T MICHAL JUST DO IT?!?!  (Read 9884 times)

Offline +AEsir+

• Major(1)
WHY WON'T MICHAL JUST DO IT?!?!
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:53:44 pm »
RELEASE A SOLDAT LINUX CLIENT. HALF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE PLAYING SOLDAT ARE RUNNING LINUX AND HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALOT OF TROUBLE JUST TO GET IT TO WORK... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\.?!?!?
We contemplate oblivion as we resonate our dissonance in godless random interpretation

Offline +AEsir+

• Major(1)
Re: WHY WON'T MICHAL JUST DO IT?!?!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:55:13 pm »
BUMP
We contemplate oblivion as we resonate our dissonance in godless random interpretation

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:55:18 pm »
OMG CAPSLOCK MAKES MY POINT MORE CLEAR!!!!! Now lots add many smiles :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Sorry, but that isn't how you ask, please don't use all caps and use more then one smiley, and you need to have patience, this is one reason why Linux = not so good.
Edit; WOH WOH... You JUST posted this, don't bump it...

Offline +AEsir+

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 12:57:27 pm »
Haha what are you doing, running windblows, noob. ill own you in soldat just to let to you know i an guarantee it. you probably know nothing about linux. your probably liek WINDOWS VISTA IS AWESOME MAN! :o

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
Re: Re: WHY WON'T MICHAL JUST DO IT?!?!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 12:59:20 pm »
That isn't a way to handle a problem, and yes I do own a Windows. have reported your comment, that isn't nice at all.
Learn to handle things properly.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 01:01:25 pm »
RELEASE A SOLDAT LINUX CLIENT. HALF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE PLAYING SOLDAT ARE RUNNING LINUX AND HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALOT OF TROUBLE JUST TO GET IT TO WORK... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\.?!?!?

1) stop posting in caps or I'll ban you
2) be a bit nicer, or I'll ban you

Soldat can't easily be made into a Linux version because it is entirely coded in Delphi and uses Direct3d.  When MM finds the right person to release the source to, we may end up getting a Linux version, but probably not before then.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 01:03:04 pm »
Thank you FLAB.

Offline truup

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 01:03:24 pm »
Don't mix up this guy with the old clan Aesir kkthx.

Offline Iq Unlimited

• Flagrunner
  • mr. foobar2000
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 01:04:05 pm »
soldat works fine on my lenux computer, it just takes a little time to get going.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 01:04:12 pm »
Also, nowhere near half of the people playing Soldat play under Linux. If it was anything close to being that high, some support would be added.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 01:06:22 pm »
Yes, very very few play on Linux, because Linux can hardly play any games and certain systems.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 01:08:02 pm »
They can't read .png picture format, some in the scenery folder.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 01:10:42 pm »
Oh and yes, Vista is a pretty good system to me, I love how everything is kinda customizable.
And I love how it is similar to Beryl.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 01:12:21 pm »
Oh and yes, Vista is a pretty good system to me, I love how everything is kinda customizable.
And I love how it is similar to Beryl.

Actually, it will be good eventually, once they fix the bugs and drivers start, you know, actually working. Until then it's basically a public beta that does nothing more than stress computer tech support people. Just ask FLAB.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 01:14:41 pm »
Haha what are you doing, running windblows, noob. ill own you in soldat just to let to you know i an guarantee it. you probably know nothing about linux. your probably liek WINDOWS VISTA IS AWESOME MAN! :o
hey if you like playing games then your only/best choice is windows.

stupid linux fanboy
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 01:15:37 pm »

stupid linux fanboy
Ownt.

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 01:35:41 pm »
where's the karma system when you need it? ;P
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 01:51:41 pm »
How immature. Soldat probably will never get to work for linux until linux is improved and plays games better.

Offline ChromedGun

• Camper
  • Angel of Death
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 03:05:31 pm »
Haha what are you doing, running windblows, noob.

Windblows? Windows users noob? Who has trouble with Soldat? I sure don't!

@Kryp -- go buy some skills. use /command to bring up the commands.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 03:07:30 pm »
BLAAAH BLAAAH LINUX. BLAAAH BLLAAAH BLAAAH BLAAAH LINUX BLAAAH BLAAAH WAFFLE BLAAAH BLAAH CAPSLOCK BLAAH!!!111... <UNCERTAIN EMOTICONS> QUESTION MARKS

O RLY?

Yrly!

Spam deleted.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Iq Unlimited

• Flagrunner
  • mr. foobar2000
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 03:18:26 pm »
Vista doesnt run soldat for me xD. I get violations when I start playing :o.

Offline Coolio

• Camper
  • Well cya all.
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 03:32:41 pm »
BLAAAH BLAAAH LINUX. BLAAAH BLLAAAH BLAAAH BLAAAH LINUX BLAAAH BLAAAH WAFFLE BLAAAH BLAAH CAPSLOCK BLAAH!!!111... <UNCERTAIN EMOTICONS> QUESTION MARKS

O RLY?

Yrly!

Spam deleted.

Yeah keep deleting, no one would of cared if it was there.

Date Posted: June 20, 2007, 04:23:42 PM
That isn't a way to handle a problem, and yes I do own a Windows. have reported your comment, that isn't nice at all.
Learn to handle things properly.

Why would you report his comment, u don't gotta get all emotional about it.

stupid linux fanboy
Ownt.

YOu just told him to be nicer and after later on you write ownt?
ANd the guys just furstrated cause MM won't  make a version of Soldat that is for linux. I mean come on i would be furstrated too, it takes him a long time to make any version for Soldat. Besides ur the one with windows, you don't have the same problems he has. So stfu.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 03:37:27 pm by Coolio »
BANNED

Offline viceroy

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 03:51:57 pm »
heres a life hint: dont disagree with moderators

topic: to starter, tell me something about linux that I as a microsoft user and python programmer, wont know that you do. can you even write one line if computer code? ANY computer code? you can take any one and just write a short mod for it. anything, ill take it and regret everything ive said up to this point.

please dont act like you know something or that youre super-special and cool because you have an operating system that isnt mainstream.
hoopstar_4_2002: so if you dont mind me askin this, what do you like in women

Viceroy: Organs.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 04:17:24 pm »
heres a life hint: dont disagree with moderators

please dont act like you know something or that youre super-special and cool because you have an operating system that isnt mainstream.

yeah, you have a point there...

I just get so frustrated with these Linux freaks. I have nothing against Linux and many people use it and I support them. But this kind of people are really annoying. like it's our fault that we have to use windows and pay(?) for it. I use my computer for music, games and internet. And I couldn't use linux for games and I couldn't have my Quintessential player.

Offline InfS

• Major
    • On Myspace
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 04:57:27 pm »
Here's how to get it to work in one easy step: Partition your harddrive and install Windows!

or

Use WINE

Look here: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=4662
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 04:59:04 pm by InfS »
A lot of cheap tricks, but no real skill.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 05:45:36 pm »
Yes, very very few play on Linux, because Linux can hardly play any games and certain systems.

that's probably one of the least intelligent things I've ever heard.  This thread is about making Soldat for Linux.  Soldat for Linux doesn't require other games to be on Linux.  Gamers would move to Linux if more games were made.

It sounds like you're saying "we can't make a game for Linux because there are no games for Linux, so we also can't play!"

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 06:21:33 pm »
he probably means that most linux users arent gamers, else they wouldnt have linux..

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 07:08:20 pm »
Meh, I like gaming and programming, so I have Linux on my USB... xD.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline NK Soldier

• Major(1)
  • All Hail the president of Iran!
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 07:52:03 pm »

that's probably one of the least intelligent things I've ever heard.  This thread is about making Soldat for Linux.  Soldat for Linux doesn't require other games to be on Linux.  Gamers would move to Linux if more games were made.

It sounds like you're saying "we can't make a game for Linux because there are no games for Linux, so we also can't play!"
What? I love linux, I dual-boot so in case I have any problems.. but furthermore linux is the best OS for me. I recently put in beryl and its amazing. Linux certainly has enough potential to be a great operating system.
Remember, its all fun and games 'till someone gets hurt.. then its hilarious.

Offline viceroy

• Soldier
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 09:55:07 pm »
i know a lot of awesome op systems. i personally have tested about 11. i have 3 installed on my computer, and like the hype says, linux is the best for programming.
hoopstar_4_2002: so if you dont mind me askin this, what do you like in women

Viceroy: Organs.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2007, 02:18:28 am »
Well, i have an old pc running linux for a soldatserver...i did it to learn more about linux: it's fun but i don't think i'd switch my easy going windows pc to linux... I remeber when i did a like 10 min google search just to figure out the commands to delete files xD it's fun being noob xD
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2007, 06:50:55 am »

he is saying that it would be a waste of time to port to linux because there are no gamers on linux because there aren't many games for linux.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 08:20:43 am »

he is saying that it would be a waste of time to port to linux because there are no gamers on linux because there aren't many games for linux.

And FLAB is saying that there would be more gamers on Linux if companies released their games for Linux. Ahh paradoxes.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2007, 08:35:58 am »

And FLAB is saying that there would be more gamers on Linux if companies released their games for Linux. Ahh paradoxes.
But there is already an existing market which defeats the whole point of ever making games for another operating system.

Offline Major .:Noob:.

• Major
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2007, 08:51:03 am »
No one releases games for linux (besides whoever made quake xD).  And it IS much better than windows, in everything it can do. The fault that there are no games lies not with linux, but with companies that won't release games for anything besides windows. If linux were to be 'improved' to be able to play windows games, they would have to add, oh, lets see... directX support, a registry and probably a whole different file system, just to start. OH WAIT! If they did that, wouldn't it be exactly like Windows? Oh! Woops.

Anyway, @ the first post, this is exactly what this amazing thing called "Dual-Booting" was invented for. I'm sure your hard drive is big enough to stick a lonely windows partition over in the corner somewhere.

I'm happily using both Ubuntu 7.04 and Windows right now, and I wouldn't change anything. Both operating systems have their ups and downs (Linux noticeably less downs, but they -are- there...) and I use them both equally. Nothing wrong with either one. Except that Vista does suck, at least for now xD. And whoever said it looks like Beryl, lies, Beryl > Aero any day :3.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 05:44:25 am »
I don't really undestand people hypinh beryl over Aero, or vice versa.

*put a stupid Beryl > Aero youtube link here*

IMO stuff like that just sucks. "But it looks good", does it? Not really. Not the effects make something "look good", and even if it did look good, it ain't really an improvement in usage, thus I judge it to be just a unuseful candy.

Why would companies use OpenGL and other stuff like that? Like they care can Linuxers play or not, if they get more revenue with DirectX then they don't even consider OpenGL and such.

Why would one make a game for linux, as there are no gamers? Why would people use Linux because you can't even play anything!?

I ain't any Windows fan, but I believe that Linux just ain't ready yet. Everyone knows how to use Windows. They are kinda happy with it, why would they change?

And with "not ready yet", I mean that you just can not consider it as a REAL competitor, yet.

Sure it can be used by people, who can actually study on things and have the interest to start playing around with the system. Too bad there aren't many of them really. Probably like 1-2% of people on PC's.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Apocalypse

• Major
  • Who is the wiseman? beggar or king?
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 08:00:01 am »
lol if you wanna play soldat THAT bad here,s a suggestion...

BUY A FCKIN XP! i bought mine for like 500$ ... 5 years ago
Skin against skin blood and bone
You're all by yourself but you're not alone
You wanted in now you're here
Driven by hate consumed by fear

Offline Daimarus

• Soldier
  • Believe me, I can kill you with my Spas...
    • SC forums
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2007, 08:11:42 am »
When I see **** you post here, I feel like I was hit by a giantic ****...

God Damn It. Linux is a safer and a lot faster system than Windows. You wouldn't play Soldat on 1/2 best servers if there was no such thing as Linux, because they are run by it. By saying that "Linux sux" you become noobs, because you haven't even saw Linux on your ****ing eyes.
You complain, because one of people wanted more support for Soldat on Linux... I agree, it needs support. You try to kill this topic by saying how stupid is Linux, while you don't even know what's this...

This is BETTER system than Windows in every case except playing games (it is better on holding a server for Windows-ers) and simplicity (SuSE 10.2 and Mandiva are most simple ones. It is very easy to get on one of them and have NO problems, if you have IQ level=+120). There aren't many games on it. On the second hand, Windows sucks, because you gotta reinstall the system (or at least revive it) every year (if you are lucky)...

I support this topic's idea. Stop complaining about the thing you don't know.

PS: I use Windows+Linux SuSE 10.2 combination. Linux on every purpose, Windows only while gaming...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:15:43 am by Daimarus »
My SPAS-12 doesn't like most of people. He can mistakenly shoot your brain out of your head and splash it on the nearest wall.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2007, 09:16:12 am »
Unix systems are way better than Windows the only why people prefer windows is because microsoft has payed games to make it almost impossible to use Unix to play. this was done by doing DirectX. well since there seem to be a way to play Soldat on Unix then just put up a guide how to do.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:18:36 am by -Major- »

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007, 09:50:31 am »
Linux was built to run servers, windows was designed for the mass market. Linux users don't seem to accept that, even if there are some flaws.

Offline Detector

• Major
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2007, 10:16:33 am »
So? Where is MICHAL answer? you told many things about his game without him.
Soldat can be started in Linux Cobuntu. Soldat was writed in Delphi, not C++. Soldat can not work normally in linux, fogot about it, or write your own Soldat in C++ that can contact witht this soldat.

P.S. 141 so many bugs. 131 was better. No cheaters - respect Michal, thank you.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:20:33 am by Detector »
Read.Only.

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2007, 11:16:20 am »
But there is already an existing market which defeats the whole point of ever making games for another operating system.

Yea, obviously. Microsoft are idiots for making the Xbox and 360 right? I mean, c'mon, Nintendo and Sony already had their systems out, there was no point right to add something to an existing market? It's not like they'ré making anything out of it.

It's called competition.

Linux was built to run servers, windows was designed for the mass market. Linux users don't seem to accept that, even if there are some flaws.

Wow, aren't you a closed-minded person. Have you even seen the latest Linux distros like Ubuntu (motto, Linux for human beings. I gues by human beings he means a server right?), Mandriva, or SuSe? The first Windows were just a little shell around DOS weren't they? DOS was for mass market? Seems more like a corporate type OS. Linux, is closely tied to UNIX, which I'm pretty sure was designed for the same purpose. Either way, it doesn't matter what they were originally designed to do, as both OS's evolved into something much better, something usable by more common people. Perhaps Windows developed faster and had more commercial success, that doesn't make it better (as we can see when comparing a small game like Soldat with some crap games made by big businesses today).

Go take your monopolistic fanboyism somewhere else, geez. Both OS's compete in the server world, both OS's (especially now with Dell selling Ubuntu preinstalled) compete in your regular consumer environments, and they both have their pros and cons, but they both need each other's healthy competition if we ever hope to continue improving anything.
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2007, 12:12:15 pm »

Yea, obviously. Microsoft are idiots for making the Xbox and 360 right? I mean, c'mon, Nintendo and Sony already had their systems out, there was no point right to add something to an existing market? It's not like they'ré making anything out of it.

It's called competition.
Way to misinterpret. Windows is the biggest and most popular, Windows will probably stay the biggest and most popular because Linux and ubuntu and Apple have very limited capability to even try to enter the market. Xbox however, had potential to be a serious competitor, especially after contracting rockstar and other developers. Competition? Linux is no "competition"
Wow, aren't you a closed-minded person. Have you even seen the latest Linux distros like Ubuntu (motto, Linux for human beings. I gues by human beings he means a server right?), Mandriva, or SuSe? The first Windows were just a little shell around DOS weren't they? DOS was for mass market? Seems more like a corporate type OS. Linux, is closely tied to UNIX, which I'm pretty sure was designed for the same purpose. Either way, it doesn't matter what they were originally designed to do, as both OS's evolved into something much better, something usable by more common people. Perhaps Windows developed faster and had more commercial success, that doesn't make it better (as we can see when comparing a small game like Soldat with some crap games made by big businesses today).
Windows was a huge innovation to a more visual use of computers instead of typing commands. Linux for human beings. Window's commercial success was from its ability to do any task, including playing games.
Go take your monopolistic fanboyism somewhere else, geez. Both OS's compete in the server world, both OS's (especially now with Dell selling Ubuntu preinstalled) compete in your regular consumer environments, and they both have their pros and cons, but they both need each other's healthy competition if we ever hope to continue improving anything.
Go take your unix fanboyism somewhere else, because if you haven't noticed, this is a forum for a game Windows doesn't need linux to continue to grow, that is what the competition in developing games comes, you ever notice why you can run linux off of a fucking calculator? Because you don't need the processing power as much as say, an avid gamer. hardware manufacterers would not be pushing out the latest graphics cards into the mass market, they would give them to buisnesses for 3d modeling or some crap. Games are the reason why you need a new computer so soon after upgrading, and when people are unsatisfied with the vampiric resource sucking of vista, Windows will simply loose revenue and then fix the problem.

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2007, 02:10:52 pm »
a-4-year-old:

I vomited when I read your post. I literally vomited. I just had to taste my lunch again thanks to you.

Every OS has their advantages and disadvantages. I've used Linux, Windows, DOS, Mac OS, Unix - hell, most everything out there, I have at least *tried*.

If I had to choose an OS to use for the rest of my life, it'd be Ubuntu/Linux. Why?

Because it gets things done. It doesn't have flashy oohs and aahs. It doesn't have DRM crammed down my throat. I don't have to defragment my PC's HDD. I don't have to install 20+ megs of anti-spyware programs, anti-virus software, and registry cleaning software, just to keep it working. I don't have to WASTE time running all these applications and programs. I don't have to WASTE resources running AV software 24/7. I can play games using WINE. I can surf the web safely. I can get support in a blink of an eye. Actual, human support, designed and written by users who have the same issues I have, not some autonomous "knowledge base", an explicit oxymoron if I have ever seen one. I don't have blue screens of death. I don't have 60 second+ boot times. Yes. I can turn on my PC and have it ready in under 30 seconds. I can install software I want directly from a software library, where it is downloaded and installed automatically, freeing me and my time to do other things. I don't have to feel like using my PC is a chore.

Again, why do I choose Ubuntu?

Because I'm human.
Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »
Windows was a huge innovation to a more visual use of computers instead of typing commands. Linux for human beings. Window's commercial success was from its ability to do any task, including playing games.
Get your facts right 4 year old:

1) Microsoft WAS NOT the first company to have an operating system using a graphical user interface, Xerox was.
2) For the majority of the time Windows has been out, extreme resource sucking games for computers did not even exist, thus they weren't that important for Windows' success.
3) Windows was not or ever able to perform a task that other operating systems could not.

@Lapis Lazuli: Thank you for restoring sanity to this thread.

ontopic: I don't see the point in MM releasing Soldat for linux since I can easily start Windows 2K / XP in a virtual machine under Ubuntu (or any other linux distro, pretty much) and play Soldat exactly as it is played on windows.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 04:48:06 pm by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2007, 05:07:25 pm »
Ugh...I'm not gonna bother anymore. you're obviously a linux troll. If you're really that thick-skulled to think all that, there's no point in arguing.

BTW, jrgp, you should try WINE. I haven't tried Soldat in a VM but I assume it's a lot slower through there then using WINE, since WINE will run all that stuff "natively" instead of emulated.
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2007, 05:31:54 pm »
BTW, jrgp, you should try WINE. I haven't tried Soldat in a VM but I assume it's a lot slower through there then using WINE, since WINE will run all that stuff "natively" instead of emulated.

I've got WINE installed and Soldat works in it, but it's extremely slow and the graphics / text are weird. (could be because I am using 64 Bit Ubuntu Feisty) I have VM installed, but I don't have time to try to make a virtual machine in it. I was talking about using Qemu, the other emulator. It is open source and from what I hear, extremely fast. I'm going to check it out tonight.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2007, 06:15:40 am »
I can play games using WINE.

Show me Soldat working 100% properly on WINE.

Thanks.
I don't have 60 second+ boot times. Yes. I can turn on my PC and have it ready in under 30 seconds.

Strange. My WindowsXP boots actually under 2 minutes. My Ubuntu takes over 3 and half minutes to get up and running. ;)

For some other people:

It is MM's fault that Soldat does not work on Linux. Don't blame Linux for it, blame MM. I don't like MM because I can not play Soldat on Linux. :(
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 06:55:57 am by Clawbug »
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2007, 07:41:17 am »
So? Where is MICHAL answer?
Michal does not need to comment on this topic when its been discussed many times before, and the true answer has already been posted.

Offline Chakra

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2007, 08:59:20 am »
Alriiight, as much as I love a good old fashioned linux-vs-windows debate, it ain't much fun when it's full of virgin drama and art majors who don't peer over the other side of the coin often enough. Time to lock this thread!

Michal cannot make Soldat or in any way adapt it for Linux. Far as i'm aware, linux's main reliable graphics driver is OpenGL ....which is mostly arsefluid, hence most games these days don't support our speccy basement friends. Perfect for Soldat though really, but Soldat supports DirectX and I would thoroughly imagine that making some form of conversion thats also compatible with the Windows version would be immensely difficult and time consuming. Also, the superior PC gaming market is generally on the Windows platform. Nothing you can do about it, just the way the world turns. Go watch Karate Kid 3 on your Betamax.

If you're desperate to make Soldat work on your system, consider a windows boot (even 95/98 will do - nice and small), or have a search on these forums for progress made with WINE.

And for the love of god, don't make me see any of you going linux-fanboy again. I've banned people for less.
MM; seriously Chakra, stop the fisting
Yes, I'm still alive.