Author Topic: Ship Map Changed to Lava Bunker... COOL LAVA <--- LOOK  (Read 5316 times)

Offline PHReaKeR

• Major(1)
Ship Map Changed to Lava Bunker... COOL LAVA <--- LOOK
« on: June 22, 2007, 11:08:43 am »
Well the design has changed YET AGAIN!!! I found that I started Making Lava for some unknown reason lol... It actually turned out pretty good...

Once the image loads click to zoom in... I'm working on it right now will update soon, Been a bit busy but it wont be too long before this map is completed. I know how to fully map this into Soldat so it should be too buggy once the first release is made which hopefully will be soon if work doesn't get in the way (Setting up an online shop is a fiddle :P )
http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lava11af6.jpg

Any comments :) Please make em :P ;D

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
Re: Ship Map Changed to Lava Bunker... COOL LAVA <--- LOOK
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:17:56 am »
Wow really nice!

i can't wait for the download :D

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:44:46 am »
You didn't mention anything to me about the change... Oh well I like this even better :P

Umm yeah, what about the gatling cannon you were really fond of?

Offline Lunerfox

• Major
  • Lol in the Box.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 11:46:55 am »
Wow, looks nice, I'm impressed.
-[ILOA]-
---
Project Survival: An independent game development project.
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=23390.0

Offline X-Tender

• Major(1)
  • Got Headcrab?
    • Fuchtelworld - V3
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 03:39:43 pm »
Its a nice image, but I'am still disappointed with the technique by just creating a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge scenery and build the collision with inv. polygons.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 03:41:52 pm »
whats wrong with that?

Offline X-Tender

• Major(1)
  • Got Headcrab?
    • Fuchtelworld - V3
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 04:30:45 pm »
I think that it is not hard to create nice looking maps by just creating huge images and doing just Collision.
Everyone could make somethink like that. The art of making SOldat maps is to build beautyfull stuff with Polygons, limited usage
of texture and a Hand full of Scenarys.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 04:32:37 pm by X-Tender »

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 05:12:39 pm »
My main problem with this map stems from X-Tenders point; It's just one huge piece of scenery, that's going to lag like shit. It had better be properly compressed.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 05:26:45 pm »
I don't think it will lag at all. X-Tender, you remind me of my grandma. She never accepts new ways of handling things. Why don't you just give it a try when it is all over

Offline PHReaKeR

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 05:30:34 pm »
I think that it is not hard to create nice looking maps by just creating huge images and doing just Collision.
Everyone could make somethink like that. The art of making SOldat maps is to build beautyfull stuff with Polygons, limited usage
of texture and a Hand full of Scenarys.

This really has no importance to me, Slicing this image up REALLY has NO benefit to ME at all. As I said X-Tender, I'm not going to slice it up because the engine will turn it to crap. Plus, the textures were designed to be completely Dynamic in the fact that there is almost no repeation anywhere in the map, So slicing it up would actually be detremental to the performance. I've thoroughly tested it with my mate running a server off my PC and it runs fine for us.

I want a pretty map :) .. Something that looks the way I want it to look, not the way X-Tender wants me to slice it up just so I seem Technical. I'm not pretending to be technical... I'm a graphic Designer and I always have been and this is MY way to do it. It's MY project, It's for ME. But I guess the way you keep commenting there must be some importance of this to you... X-Tender.. Do you like me? :)

AWwww so cute :P

Anyway, PANZERCATWAGON it's not an issue if you have a PC with Decent Specs and a good internet connection then there should be no issues because the Image is running from your own PC and it's not server based. The lag issues are with your own PC so, If I have to find out a minimum requirements LOL I'll have to, but sheesh... it's a 2D game... who could have issues with rendering lol!!

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 05:37:53 pm »
Anyway, PANZERCATWAGON it's not an issue if you have a PC with Decent Specs and a good internet connection then there should be no issues because the Image is running from your own PC and it's not server based. The lag issues are with your own PC so, If I have to find out a minimum requirements LOL I'll have to, but sheesh... it's a 2D game... who could have issues with rendering lol!!

The reason I question is because even though I can play games like half life 2 at maximum settings with smooth fps, I can still see the difference when a map in soldat has either too much scenery or too large-a-scenery.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 05:42:35 pm »
well that also depends on the format of the image. .bmp would naturaly be the best choice with performance but the filesize would be alot bigger. I think that .png is enough for that.

Just what would be the difference between a couple of sliced up parts of the map or the whole thing in one scenery?

Offline PHReaKeR

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 06:00:33 pm »
The reason I question is because even though I can play games like half life 2 at maximum settings with smooth fps, I can still see the difference when a map in soldat has either too much scenery or too large-a-scenery.

Maybe it's time the Engine was updated. It's not like Soldat doesn't have issues anyway. And also, what the hell is with the higher resolutions?? All it does is blur the crap out of everything and run like crap. I too run half life 2 DM and all mods at Full settings 1600x1200 Res (Max my screen supports) and it runs usually around 75-90FPS...

So anyway, Engine needs an update... it's not that much image to cope with... Jittery engine, i only like the physics of the weapons otherwise this engine is still half baked.. :P oh and the fact it's got a decent enough net code with full support =) a 2D engine should have NO Issues if well designed with BitMaps and PNG's. It needs optimisation...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 06:02:09 pm by PHReaKeR »

Offline X-Tender

• Major(1)
  • Got Headcrab?
    • Fuchtelworld - V3
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 06:04:19 pm »
bla bla
I think we already know that YOU are just making the Map for YOU and that it runs good on YOUR PC ,so you doesn't have to mention it every time.
It is just my opinion, I'am not saying that it looks Fugly .. In my Eyes it is not the perfect Technique you use. And for me it is just
a nice looking Picture, not a Map.

Also, its never wrong for an "graphic Designer" to know how to do something technically right!
And just yelling around "LOL The Engine is crap!" Is the wrong attitude!

And think about people who doesn't have high end PCs, and like to play soldat ..
Thats pretty egoistic!

Offline atlee3

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 07:22:59 pm »
X-tender - Who still uses Pentium? Pentium II? Pentium III even? like whatever bro, everyone at least has P4's, Solo core or dual core now...soldat hardly uses any resources, this map will be compatible and run smooth on most machines, at least give credit to PHReaKeR for making a nice looking map, not only will he make it look good, but hes also a long term gamer, so he will make it a map worth playing, he will bug test it till there are no more bugs, so gameplay will be fun. Just sit back buddy and wait, PHReaKeR is doing something good for people, so criticising isn't good.

Offline PHReaKeR

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 08:47:23 pm »
I think YOU don't have to keep telling me to Slice it up when there is no point it will run even worse... because there will still be the SAME amount of area covered with Sceneries EXCEPT there will be hundreds of them instead of 1 which will create a larger entity count which in turn will create issues which you don't want to see happening.

My non perfect way of design is MY way of design and perfection is not the aim DETAIL and Atmosphere is the aim...

If you don't like it that's not my problem =) Regardless you're wanting me to do something which is EXTREMELY pointless.

I was only sharing this with people because I think they might enjoy something different and this is MY way of implementing it.

FINE: X-Tender - Give Examples of where to slice this thing and ill think about it... Maybe DRAW a diagram? You seem to wanna be helpful well show where i should slice...?

Date Posted: June 22, 2007, 08:33:21 PM
Update LAVA!!!
http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lavaaaagm2.jpg
Dont burn your bum bum

Offline X-Tender

• Major(1)
  • Got Headcrab?
    • Fuchtelworld - V3
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 02:55:49 am »
I was talking about building the stuff with Polygons and not only using Scenarys.

@atlee3: Its not a map, its still an image! SO the only thing I can say about this is that the Image looks good, and not that the map look good.

Just my 2 Cents. Do what you want, but you from me you didn't get any Respect because anybody can paint huge Images in PS, but build it the right way is the Art!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 03:00:30 am by X-Tender »

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 04:33:57 am »
oh my god, it's a fucking map. Chill out.

X-Tender, I've seen your couple of maps and they look good, but I don't see the reason to act like an uber-pro haxror mapper. It's his choice, he wants to make a map like that and then let him do it. You don't have to impose your opinion on other people.

Who told you that maps have to be made of polygons and textures? Why is that such a big problem for you to accept that?

Offline X-Tender

• Major(1)
  • Got Headcrab?
    • Fuchtelworld - V3
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 04:54:43 am »
Why is that such a big problem for you to accept my opinion?
And I think you are the one who have to chill.

Offline PHReaKeR

• Major(1)
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 05:33:47 am »
cuz you keep telling me, I have told you already why I am doing this and you keep bringing it up... I even told you on ICQ!!?