Author Topic: Swearing censor  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Rath

• Major(1)
Swearing censor
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:02:06 pm »
I'm sick of these 12 YO punks swearing up the works everytime someone kills them. I'm not saying have a censor for everything just stuff like F Bombs N*****.

Cause in a lot of ways it's Hypocritical to have a rule against swearing in your forums but not in your game how is it any different?

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: Swearing censor
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 03:06:26 pm »
suggested before and taken down. If you don't like the swearing then get out of pubs.

Or write a script that does bad things to people who swear (its been done before).

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 04:54:41 pm »
It's not really a problem to anyone server-side, is it? I'd support having a list of words you consider offensive, and what the words get changed to.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 05:07:32 pm »
I know that the 12 yo punks can get annoying, but they eventually leave after getting their ass pwned off. So ABSOLUTELY NO on the swear filter. I'm getting tired of everything starting to be censored. I know language can offend some people, but it doesn't affect me. It also feels like one has to be babysat for language while at the same time playing a game that is supposed to be "mature" (as a rating). 12 year olds shouldn't be playing Soldat, they should be playing Lego or My Little Pony video games instead. The real censoring should be up to parents. I don't want to start on a rant, but too many parents buy xbox's or any game - with ANY rating, their spawn wants, so they can shut the brats up and the game does the babysitting and raising for them. I'm sure some of you guys have heard what some 8 year olds will say on voice chat in xbox games. Why is an 8 year old playing Halo 3 to begin with!?

Anyway, afaik, you can mute players in Soldat.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 05:51:04 pm »
I'm sick of these 12 YO punks swearing up the works everytime someone kills them. I'm not saying have a censor for everything just stuff like F Bombs N*****.

Cause in a lot of ways it's Hypocritical to have a rule against swearing in your forums but not in your game how is it any different?
You could just use a script, like in the !Elite servers.

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline Kagesha

• Flagrunner
  • cunts
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 05:56:16 pm »
/mute?

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 07:09:46 pm »
Yeah, but it'd be nice to be able to automatically just the words and not every single message the player sends out. I mean, if they're just being a dick you mute them, but if you just don't want to see swear words for whatever reason it'd be nice to be able to have the choice to censor them.

I'M NOT SUGGESTING THAT IT BE IMPLEMENTED FOR EVERYONE. ANYONE WHO SAYS IT'S "PART OF THE GAME" OR ANYTHING EQUALLY RETARDED CAN feck OFF BECAUSE I'M TALKING ABOUT AN OPTION.

Just in case that got past you people last time.

You could just use a script, like in the !Elite servers.

As far as I know that only works on a server you own.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:22:21 pm »
No swear filter please
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Flamingo

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 07:46:47 pm »
Yeah Rath I totally agree, we mature adults shouldn't be hearing these awefull words from these little kids.
And we can't ofcourse just ignore them because we're too mature for that.
Banned

Offline Rath

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 10:02:53 pm »
Yeah Rath I totally agree, we mature adults shouldn't be hearing these awefull words from these little kids.
And we can't ofcourse just ignore them because we're too mature for that.

Too bad we couldn't find these kids parents and let em know what their kids do all day(Of course we'd have a hard time finding which prison these parents are in)

Offline Kemik

• Major(1)
  • Oops. My finger slipped. And again. And again...
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 05:27:37 am »
Swear filters also don't really work in the end. People who are really determined to swear often come up with inventive and convoluted ways to get around them- using the $ sign instead of S, typing |= instead of F, creatively mis-spelling existing words, and so on. Just ignore them and let the baby have its bottle.
If you just saw someone get killed in a brutal, stupid, and somewhat hilarious way, then you were probably watching me. Be nice, MK?

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 05:51:51 am »
A setup option to disable swear words so you dont have to read them.

If they swear it gets blocked out with *** or soemthing on the players screen (but others who do not have the option enabled will still see it)

Player since late 2007

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 06:01:35 am »
Swear filters aren't gonna work, because in the end there are always ways to bypass it. Not saying that I'm against swear filters, but it just wouldn't work very well.

Offline Peu

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 02:23:19 pm »

Because the servers are privately owned and operated. That's like asking a container why it doesn't hold tastier food.

Conduct control should be server controlled.

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 12:27:33 pm »
I know that the 12 yo punks can get annoying, but they eventually leave after getting their ass pwned off. So ABSOLUTELY NO on the swear filter. I'm getting tired of everything starting to be censored. I know language can offend some people, but it doesn't affect me. It also feels like one has to be babysat for language while at the same time playing a game that is supposed to be "mature" (as a rating). 12 year olds shouldn't be playing Soldat, they should be playing Lego or My Little Pony video games instead. The real censoring should be up to parents. I don't want to start on a rant, but too many parents buy xbox's or any game - with ANY rating, their spawn wants, so they can shut the brats up and the game does the babysitting and raising for them. I'm sure some of you guys have heard what some 8 year olds will say on voice chat in xbox games. Why is an 8 year old playing Halo 3 to begin with!?

Anyway, afaik, you can mute players in Soldat.
F****** amen.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline Vevevicamp

• Major(1)
  • Ima firin' mah lazor!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 07:01:11 pm »
Why not have an option, when making the game, to censor out certain words? (I.E. Type in the F-Bomb, and that gets censored.
Ima firin ma lazor!

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 09:34:01 pm »
I'm curious what 4yo's gonna react from this :D.

Btw, mute those players if you're really that annoyed. Or just vote kick, that's simpler.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 11:12:03 am »
freedom of speech!