Author Topic: Extreme case of being crap :( please help!  (Read 7256 times)

Offline Drakensteyn

• Major(1)
Extreme case of being crap :( please help!
« on: June 24, 2007, 09:01:29 am »
Hi,

I recently stated playing Soldat again - I usually play with my friends but because I seem to be more fanatic I started trying out some public servers when none of them care to play.

Now, my problem is that I'm really crap. When I play with my friends I win a lot but I guess that doesn't mean anything. Online things happen so fast that I don't even understand what's going on hehe, and then I get into that stage where you use different weapons each spawn cos you cant use any of them properly. :p

So I was wondering if anyone had any useful tips, or could point me towards good guides. I shouldn't be a lost case, I've always been good at MMO gaming in general (Planetside, DAoC), and I have a good PC and connection (30/30 mbit fibreoptics line).

Mainly things that seem obvious to hardened players, such as (key)settings, will probably prove to be of great value to someone overlooking them like me.

Thanks in advance (hopefully) and also, hi.

Drk

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
Re: Extreme case of being crap :( please help!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 10:49:49 am »
Various tips:

1) Use grenades. A lot. Really. They are instant kills most of the time ( when hitting injured people or on the feet ), and you get a lot of them.
2) Lower your mouse sensitivity. I play at 35%, some of the best players use 30%-50%. The lower the sense, the more accurate you are. Make every shot count, and follow your crosshair, not the soldier.
3) Jump a lot. Practice kick jumps ( when you keep tapping jumps9 on slopes, then release the side movement key at the final jump ), grenade boosting ( every box makes grenades explode instantly, and you get boosted ).
4) Ditch your secondary for a primary. Two barrets are better than a barret and a knife.
5) Try to be unpredictable: change your course of direction in battle, back off from the enemy if you must, or just rush passed him instead of stopping.
6) When you start dessimating publics, join quakenet, and Soldat gather. Now THAT will toughen you up.

Offline swebonny

• Camper
  • BUahh...
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 11:24:03 am »
Just play :) I´m sure you will get better, like someone said practise makes perfection.(think it was like that)
Practise aim with bots.
Shoot everything that moves...

Offline Radical Terrorist

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 11:30:28 am »

4) Ditch your secondary for a primary. Two barrets are better than a barret and a knife.

Umm, What if you run out of ammo on both? Then you're screwed. I pack a Socom backup. It can be devastating in the hands of the right person. And it has a low reload time.
Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out alive.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 11:34:05 am »
I mean, is there anything more than practice? Demonic has some good hints, but those are all techniques you develop with some experience anyway.

EDIT: Radical Terrorist - then instead of picking up a second Barret, grab an auto.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Chakra

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 11:53:50 am »
Ever played quake, where you circle-strafe one another to make aiming harder? Just because Soldat is in 2 dimensons doesn't mean the same theory doesn't apply here. Moving very fast in parallel to your enemies position (vertically when your opponent is horizontally opposite you for instance) will give you that initial edge, especially if you're moving above the enemy. The jump-then-jet-to-get-higher-faster thing helps there. You'll learn in time to extend that into fancier maneuvers and such.

Also, practice patience with your weapons. Don't rush to fire off every round, or spray every bullet. Take the care and time to aim, and remember that certain or most weapons aim better when you're not pushing one of the movement keys, Barrett being a fine example. You can 'float' in mid-air, maintaining a strafing movement while allowing that more accurate shot.

Thats the utmost basics there. You might be able to find some info and such on http://wiki.soldat.nl , but otherwise you're better off listening to experienced players.
MM; seriously Chakra, stop the fisting
Yes, I'm still alive.

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs

Offline Drakensteyn

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 12:59:20 pm »
Thanks for the responses guys!

Quick Q: I installed my logitech mouse drives yet am unable to use the buttons on the side in Soldat, is it even possible to use them?

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 01:01:53 pm »
Quick Q: I installed my logitech mouse drives yet am unable to use the buttons on the side in Soldat, is it even possible to use them?
Unfortunately, no. They are not programmable for use in Soldat.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Predator0520

• Soldier
  • DELETE THIS ACCOUNT
    • DELETE THIS ACCOUNT
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 01:18:50 pm »
You just have to play, play, play and play. You will get used to fast tricks and movement and yea, follow tips above.
[size=30]DELETE THIS ACCOUNT[/size]

6th_account

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 02:57:49 pm »
I'm not sure about logitech, but razers' are able to bind a key to the extra buttons. So one could both press F or use the thumb to throw a knife. Check if they offer something like that.

If you want to master Soldat you need to master 1) Speed - Skipping, mid-air prone+jet, backflip forward for even higher speed, moving around without looking at the soldier too much, 2) Agility - Backflip, kickjumps, slowing down/tapping jet to land in the best spot for the next skip, 3) Dodging - Basic holding down jump-key against semiauto users, mid-air backflip, multiple mid-air prone, quickly shift between left and right movement when enemy is above.

If you're unsure how to do any of these, ask Demonic.

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 05:05:16 pm »
My favorite tactic is backflipping. You can do it pretty much any time, and you get out of an area vertically fast. Also, accuracy is key. Not quantity, but quality. I recommend AK74 to practice doing single or just double shots to a target. The hits are strong, and they go a long ways. If you like that slower method, start using Ruger. If you like being able to let off afew more bullets, keep with the AK74, AUG, or Minimi. They are all good guns if used properly: Shot about 3 times, then let off for a split second and continue. 3 shot bursts.
If you want a challenge, try using Deagles. They are tough, but worth it if you can master the unique arc.

Offline Wormdundee

• Soldier
  • Ruger what?
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 05:17:36 pm »
Just being in agreement with some of the other people here, movement is the absolutely most important thing in soldat. More important than accuracy even. If you can move well, you won't get hit nearly as much.

As mentioned above, one tactic that is extremely useful is the moving perpendicularly to how the other person is moving. However, another variation on this that I use all the time is to run straight at someone as fast as you possibly can, firing as you go. Just before you reach them jump into the air over them and keep twisting and firing to keep hitting them. By the time you land on the other side of them they should be dead. If they're not just fire a couple more shots into them. Many people seem to have a hard time following someone who is moving over them extremely fast.

I like to mix this maneouvre up by perhaps throwing a grenade at their feet just before I jump over them, so that if they die from the grenade you can keep going without stopping.

Note: This tactic is usually a fairly bad idea if the person you're going for happens to have a chainsaw out.

Offline Splinter-Snake

• Soldier
  • One must die, and one must live.
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 06:00:55 pm »
Just practice. That' all. It doesn't matter how. Eventually you'll start playing one day and realize you're suddenly pwning.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 08:28:28 pm »
1) Use grenades. A lot. Really. They are instant kills most of the time ( when hitting injured people or on the feet ), and you get a lot of them.

Ohh man there it is, THE tactic that I hate the most. almost all player in SNA use it
I bet if there was no nades you guys would probably lose to anyone

you are new and your gun still isn't good yet, so don't start with a grenade.
sure yo can kill faster that way but you are training, and I recommend to use your gun as much as possible
Always remember the succubus...

Offline InfS

• Major
    • On Myspace
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 09:16:34 pm »
Try to always be above the enemy, you'll land more headshots, and take less damage that way (just beware of enemy nades, they will kill you if they throw them from below), try to refrain from using M79, Barrett, LAW for now, use Deagles, AK74, Minimi, etc to get your aim better. Having the right controls also helps, so make sure you know where each key is and what it does without looking... Personally I use left click to shoot, right click for nades, middle mouse scroll button to changes wep. Some people also use middle mouse click to throw. Make your jet button something else. Try out some different configs and see what feels most natural.

You can throw nades while shooting... a nade + bullet = instant kill... This works really well with the MP5. try to stay off the ground when you can.. thats where all the nades will fall. Avoid camping, it doesnt help you against anyone with skill. try to look far away when running, if you see the enemy first you can get a little extra edge on him.

Try using the chainsaw + nades only, its a good way to practise moving and nade aim... play on u13 or fracs.net deathmatch servers, there are usually good people there.

Lastly, watch what the good players do, and try to imitate them. If they can do it, so can you.
A lot of cheap tricks, but no real skill.

Offline Gortaak

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 09:37:16 pm »
To be honest, there is a reason that the default keys are the way they are. There is no need to change them at all. I have used default the entire time ive been playing.

Speed. Speed is life. If you cant get moving, you are cannon fodder. The faster you move, the harder you are to hit. Move oddly. If you move the way they think you will, you will die.
Learn to dodge. If you are on the ground,and they are in the air, you are a sitting duck. Instead of jetting slowly up to them, and getting killed, Get vertical to them and move back and forth in little leaps, till most or all of thier ammo is out. You dont need to shoot, as you need to pay more attention to thier bullets to dodge them. When they reload, smokem. Works great against ruger.

When shooting, try and stay diagional to your target, as they are the easist shots to make. When using an auto remember that the faster you move, the more damage your gun does. Also works with deagles.

If you use the knife, throw in the opposite direction you are moving in. Like you are running left, throw your knife right. It moves faster and is a gaurenteed kill. You can also throw it farther.

Learn to use grenades. Learn how to throw them in odd places, through little holes on ash. learn how to get the most distance out of them. Learn where you can spam blindly to get the most kills out of. Toss nades in peoples faces as you shoot them with your guns.
Image removed, please read the forum rules. <--- wee i dont care
 -Grishnak -Insurgent -Atrophy

.:*DETH*:.

Offline GhettoSlayer

• Major(1)
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 10:52:06 pm »
1 tip...Only thing that helped me. Start off by camping w/ your favorite gun. once you feel you're good with it, start moving around. Not far, but keep using that gun. Then try flying and shooting while moving, after while you'll be killing really quickly.

Once you've mastered that, try different guns.

Offline Wormdundee

• Soldier
  • Ruger what?
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 12:14:10 am »
In my opinion ghetto, that's a terrible way to learn how to use a gun. Not all guns are created to be used for camping, in fact, only one of them would be even considered for camping, which is of course the barret. If you're going to try and learn how to use deagles (for example) by camping with them, you'll be in for a lot of frustration.

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 02:09:44 am »

Ohh man there it is, THE tactic that I hate the most. almost all player in SNA use it
I bet if there was no nades you guys would probably lose to anyone

you are new and your gun still isn't good yet, so don't start with a grenade.
sure yo can kill faster that way but you are training, and I recommend to use your gun as much as possible

You play a shooting game, and you are dissing grenades? Lol.

If you are an auto kind of guy, start out with the AUG. Do 2-4 shot bursts. That way, the shots stay straight. AUG is a good balanced weapon, with the fire rate similar to the MP5 and distance similar to the AK74. Also, you can try the Minimi, but it doesn't seem to do the same kind of damage. Once you get comfortable with the AUG, pull out the AK74 when your playing with some easier foes. Practice. It shoots slow, which means aim each shot. Each shot does heavy damage, so aim for the head. Maybe 4 hit kill if its to the head.

If you are a click-and-shoot kinda guy, i recommend using the Spas12. That gun is extremely fun to use and versatile. I recommend a Socom as a secondary for middle-range though. Once you get a hang of the arc and use of the Spas12, you might want to try Desert Eagles. They have actually similar arc, just keep with the arc and don't slow down with the wind.

If you started out using a Barret and find out the reload time is an ass pain, switch to Ruger. Ghetto sniper rifle, 2-3 hit kill. Just pray the shots REGISTER.

And if you want to get good with an M79... don't.

Also, i highly recommend getting good with the knife. It is a life-saver.
Or, for some less-serious fun, pull out a chainsaw when you are going thru tight tunnels or enemy-dense areas. Rack up some multikills x]