Author Topic: Guide for new mapmakers  (Read 1363 times)

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
Guide for new mapmakers
« on: June 29, 2007, 06:39:02 am »
This is a simple guide for how make cool maps  8). Follow the link and read it  ;D. Made by myself:

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
Re: Guide for new mapmakers
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 08:43:27 am »
this looks... interesting.  Might be useful for noobs or so, although you didn't really go into any detail on what all the functions do or how you actually shaded the map or how you moved the vertices.  You also might wanna mention that you need PolyWorks to follow this.  Plus you have two downloads of different sizes that seem to be identical...?
Thnx for your input though!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 07:54:14 pm »
Your guide doesn't provide information that isn't already available elsewhere.  It's also short on details and techniques.

A type of guide we don't currently have is one on layout: something that is sorely needed.  You should work on that with suggestions for smooth player movement, alternate routes, etc.

The best way you could help would be to offer constructive criticism for each map you see.  I'm pointing this out because I've just read through your latest posts and your criticism is almost completely useless: the majority of it consists of "this map sucks, practice more" and links to your guide.  True help is explaining, in general terms, why the map doesn't work with examples and solutions.

You should also make several maps so you have some credibility.  I've only found two of your maps on these forums and, judging from their quality, you should practice more before you begin to give advice.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 07:57:09 pm by VijchtiDoodah »

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 08:45:55 pm »
A type of guide we don't currently have is one on layout: something that is sorely needed.  You should work on that with suggestions for smooth player movement, alternate routes, etc.
I'm working on something like that now.
I'll get back to you on this guide in a bit.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 05:55:34 am »
Only an expert mapmaker should create a guide

You have reason, probably I rushed. When I get more experience already I will take charge making an explained well guide and with details of all the steps to continuing.

Date Posted: 30 June 2007, 07:53:35
Plus you have two downloads of different sizes that seem to be identical...?
The first is in format .ZIP and the other in format .RAR :P

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 05:57:11 am »
also we have that and i think helps http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=58.0
and more specific Wraithlike's Guide to Beginning Mapping -> http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=7283.0