Author Topic: M79 haters please read  (Read 41535 times)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
Re: M79 haters please read
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 09:34:05 am »
The reason I hate and M79 is because it doesn't require a lot of skill to kill someone. It's overused and many noobs use it. I'd say pick up a real gun and learn to use it.
completely agree!

I think it's overpowered:
Slightly too short reload time (faster than the binking, start-up-timed barret)
Noobs use it because when they're under attack and are like "huh, what's going on?" they usually have enough time to turn around and kill with practically no skills necessary.
Remember the barret?  It's been around for 3 (or more?) years when MM realized that it was overpowered.  He gave it start-up time (so noobs like you wouldn't complain).
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 09:37:45 am »
If an autoer goes one on one with an m79er and can't kill him a few times then you just suck. For one thing all autos have a massive range compared to the m79s. Also if you get into a tunnel you can just spray without aiming and kill the m79er with ricochets. Don't cry to michal cause you don't know how to fight an m79er, I know how to find autos, why? Because I know they are my weakness so I specifically learned ways to trick or evade them. And me having dodged many m79 bullets myself.... learn to use your jets... they can be the life or death of you when going against an m79.

Moved.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 09:39:36 am by † »
@ii

Offline Cappy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 12:25:35 pm »
All weapons have their advantages, and their disadvantages...So I don't know why people complain.

[DE] ~ ~ ~

Offline Brok3n Arr0w

• Major
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 12:50:59 pm »
the thing i dont like about the m79 is that the m79 is a "simple click" weapon.  point, shoot, and forget.  lather, rinse, repeat.  same with barretards on their little hills.  its takes so much skill to shoot guys 2 screens before they see you.  also, against the charging, if ur not charging a m79, then hes charging u.  or camping in all the r/s servers.  but i do [ab]use the m79 every now and then, so i cant say that much. 

u know wuts worse than m79 [ab]users?  when u [ab]use m79 and everyone eats the explosives.  ur like "now why cant i do that?"
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 01:23:12 pm »
What I don't understand [forgive me for going on a tangent here] is how people are so adamant about NOT CHANGING their tactics. Broken Arrow here's not the first nor will he be the last to complain about the M79. You know what? The M79 is a indirect-fire weapon. That means it fires at a low velocity. What does that mean? Sure they have the advantage IF they're on high ground, but if they're shooting up, the low velocity curbs the range of the M79. Now, how does this translate into a tactical advantage for you? Go up higher, dumbass. If you're above them, they can't reach you, but you can reach them, easily. Use gravity to your advantage. Same with countering a Spas. And if the M79 goober is holding a hill, LEARN TO GRAB ANOTHER WEAPON, uh, like a Barrett (Hello! There's a USE for the scope!). What is it with some of you dummies and one weapon? It's like you grab the MP5 in every map, even when there's a huge open space that designed for sniping, and then you complain that every other weapon is overpowered.

And goddammit you guys need to stop rushing and learn to adapt to the changing battlefield. You only have yourself to blame if you run 8 times into the same guy with the Barrett who is camped out at the exact same spot [like 80% of the snipers out there don't practice the fact that mobility is the other half of sniping]. Why the hell don't you snipe him back? You learned 8 times that he's there. Everyone's rushing and using a Spas? Go grab a Barrett. Everyone using a Barrett? Grab a Barrett, or, if you have cover, bink them out with an auto. Everyone's using a M79? Spraying is just as honorable. It's called suppression fire. Use it or lose it.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 01:45:05 pm »
I know one change, that would ruin the m79 for noobs, but at the same time, make it more useful for pros.

about 30 ticks of startup time.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 03:56:14 pm »
M79 SUCKS ***GOT LEARN TO USE A REAL GUN OH WAIT SORRY I FORGOT YOU CAN'T DO THAT BECAUSE YOU SUCK ****

mmmm toasty.  banned.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 03:57:07 pm »
M79 SUCKS ***GOT LEARN TO USE A REAL GUN OH WAIT SORRY I FORGOT YOU CAN'T DO THAT BECAUSE YOU SUCK ****

mmmm toasty.  banned.
Lol
Make a thing in the Sin bin.
I miss reading those... Well, I miss new ones.

Offline GhettoSlayer

• Major(1)
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 04:03:19 pm »
M79 isn't a noob gun. If you can't get past it that means you can't dodge. They're REALLY easy to get by and even Cancel out. Just kill them before they can reload.

Offline ChromedGun

• Camper
  • Angel of Death
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 04:10:57 pm »
The reload is faster than the shortest respawn time. If he 1v1's you (guess there have to be others in-game for the respawn not to be instant)and if he got you out cold near your spawn, you're dead for sure.

It takes like 2-3 secs to respawn, 3 secs to reload the M79. Then when you've respawned you're this "ghost" that cannot be shot and that can't shoot. By the time you can shoot, the M79 is locked and loaded. You can't pick the M79 at this time either to take him out with it, because it takes 3 secs to reload after spawn. He just can't miss that shot, you're a sitting duck when you respawn. Unless your teammate comes for your rescue or if he respawns too, you're screwed.

@Kryp -- go buy some skills. use /command to bring up the commands.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2007, 04:12:24 pm »
It is just a gun, on a freaking game.
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Please get over it, lately there has been countless topics on this.

Offline ChromedGun

• Camper
  • Angel of Death
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2007, 04:15:42 pm »
It's just a gun that ruins the whole **** fun on a freaking game.

Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

@Kryp -- go buy some skills. use /command to bring up the commands.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2007, 04:22:16 pm »
It's just a gun that ruins the whole **** fun on a freaking game.

Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Spork.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2007, 06:40:07 pm »
I don't have a problem facing one M79er, but when you face a whole team of them, it gets a bit frustrating. Ok, so there are pros that use the gun, but there are also a lot of new players in the game that use it. They see a grenade launcher, and they're like "goodie!" *click*.

Maybe what should happen is the learning curve for the M79 should somehow be carefully increased, as to not put the people who have learnt the weapon very well off it, but to keep new players from only using that one weapon.

Maybe try a bit of startup time?
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2007, 06:46:12 pm »
That was my suggestion, that everyone readily ignored.

+f12

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2007, 06:57:24 pm »
F11...
I didn't take my time to partially master a weapon just for it to be changed because some people see it as unfit.

Offline Cheeser

• Major(1)
  • The Pleaser
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2007, 06:59:33 pm »
All weapons have their advantages, and their disadvantages...So I don't know why people complain.
^Amen to this.
Chuck Norris joke here.

Offline Kavukamari

• Camper
  • 3.14159265358979, mmm... pi
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2007, 07:29:08 pm »

mmmm toasty. banned.

lol
"Be mindful of fame, show a mighty courage, watch against foes. Nor shalt thou lack what thou desirest, if with thy life thou hast comest out from that heroic task."

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2007, 07:56:49 pm »
F11...
I didn't take my time to partially master a weapon just for it to be changed because some people see it as unfit.

When 1.3 was being made, some people thought that autos should be given self-bink. Being a committed Minimi player, I whined like a n00b because of that, but that's just what happens from the firm hand of weapon balancing. So don't expect to escape the need for weapon balancing just because you have spent time trying to learn the weapon in it's current state.

Not that I'm saying the M79 will be changed in 1.4.2....

LEARN TO GRAB ANOTHER WEAPON, uh, like a Barrett (Hello! There's a USE for the scope!). What is it with some of you dummies and one weapon?

Yes- On a large map, long ranged weapons such as the Barrett would have the advantage over the M79; but if someone chooses to use an MP5 (or any other short-mid range weapon) even though it's a large map, that means the MP5 user would be at a disadvantage, but that doesn't matter because the M79 user (being a short-mid ranged weapon as well) would have the same disadvantage- unless you're saying that the only way to kill an M79er is to use the most advantageous and map-specifically unfair weapon in order to counter the M79's power.

And goddammit you guys need to stop rushing and learn to adapt to the changing battlefield. You only have yourself to blame if you run 8 times into the same guy with the Barrett who is camped out at the exact same spot

Yes, that is very stupid when people do that with known sniper nests.

It's called suppression fire. Use it or lose it.

Suppression fire is only really usefull in Realistic Mode.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 08:09:54 pm by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2007, 08:07:28 pm »
F11...
Not unfit, just too bloody popular.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!