Author Topic: M79 haters please read  (Read 41594 times)

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
Re: M79 haters please read
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2007, 12:57:13 pm »
Flaming = bad. <Roasts boots with a flamethrower>

I'm seriously getting tired of all these n00bs complaining about other n00bs abusing the freakin' M79. Like † said, there's an art to being able to use the '79 to it's full extent. The slow-ish reload, startup, and considerably low velocity makes it a somewhat hard weapon to use at range.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2007, 07:22:31 pm »
Sif it was flaming... Common sence!
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2007, 03:39:25 am »
Most people dislike it because it's, like, the most common weapon in pubs. You might have half the server using an M79, and everyone else using an auto or semi (and not one of them using the same one either).

Sure, you could dodge one M79, but can you dodge three M79's coming from different directions, especially when one of the shots is fired from a lagger?
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline 1221995

• Soldier
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2007, 05:09:58 pm »
M79 PWNS!!!!

Offline /L

• Major(1)
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2007, 05:23:01 pm »
The M79 is the only weapon that's way too easy to use and way too hard to master.

Offline §hinobi

• Major(1)
  • GøðžíllÃ¥
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2007, 04:40:13 am »
The m79 is a good and bad weapon at the same time, in my perspective. It owns when you use it, but it sucks when it is used against you. I hate it, for example, when I keep looking out for the autoers on the opposing team, and then get smacked in the face by an m79. Or when a m79er falls from the sky when you aren't looking and makes you break your legs on the ground and be all ouchy. But I do love it when I'M the one doing that to my opponents.

Honestly, the m79 can work well in a 2 on 2, 3 on 3, or even bigger scenario. I'm using so few people because it seems to be what I mostly play in, for I'm a clanner and not a big fan of pub servers (I get ping kicked with my damn dial-up). Anyways, the m79 can be devastating, but that's only if you make your shots. If you miss, it's just like the 'rett. You gotta scurry around and hope you don't get auto'd to death. But, if you hit, it's a quick and easy way to get in and out without taking much damage. Good for a capper, sometimes.

But, when every single person is autoing, it makes it hard to concentrate on hitting your shots, thusly you end up missing and die. In those situations I think it is better just to go ahead and auto with your teammates, so that you'll wear down the enemies with your constant spray.

What I really hate, though, is when the entire opposing team goes m79 on me. It makes it where I have to go m79 or Rett myself. Autos just take too damn long to kill when you have two or three people rushing after you with friggin' nade shooting guns. I always end up dying before I get anywhere. :\ Of course, I am thinking about Nuubia, Ash, and sometimes Voland, when I'm saying this... Maps like Laos are somewhat easier to avoid the m79, for it is larger and more capable of spraying. Spraying helps to slow down the m79er, and make the shot curve before it hits you. Thus why I don't mind the enemy m79ing on maps like that.

I've rambled enough, I suppose. :O

Offline Zabijaka

• Soldier
  • Soldat Fan, Hitman Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2007, 07:47:04 am »
I play with all weapons:) m79 is good for small maps, the best universal weapon is AK:)

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2007, 10:20:03 am »
Its kinda funny to see yet another m79 topic.
Other words, but always same meaning...
"M79 SUXXX!!!! ITS NOOOBBB! ban it!1!111"
"m79 is ok, just learn to dodge..."

blah, blah, blah...

to h8ers... : M79 is in soldat from the begining. It won't be thrown out.

On the other's hand...
Trying to convience M79 haters won't help. PLZZZZZ stop making topics about m79. I hope that anyone will listen to these words ...

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2007, 10:41:17 am »
Most people dislike it because it's, like, the most common weapon in pubs. You might have half the server using an M79, and everyone else using an auto or semi (and not one of them using the same one either).

Sure, you could dodge one M79, but can you dodge three M79's coming from different directions, especially when one of the shots is fired from a lagger?
On of the flaws in pubs, people will start using a weapon that kills alot. I have seen a few times where my team notices me or someone else do good with the m79 and people slowly start switching, just people hunting for that "perfect gun" they can't seem to find.

Its kinda funny to see yet another m79 topic.
Other words, but always same meaning...
"M79 SUXXX!!!! ITS NOOOBBB! ban it!1!111"
"m79 is ok, just learn to dodge..."

blah, blah, blah...

to h8ers... : M79 is in soldat from the begining. It won't be thrown out.

On the other's hand...
Trying to convience M79 haters won't help. PLZZZZZ stop making topics about m79. I hope that anyone will listen to these words ...
Oh wow.... such a genius. We would have never figured out such a complicated matter such as this one without your help which is a guiding light to those in the dark caverns of weapon balance discussion. Please keep raining wisdom down upon us. Oh intellect incarnate from the heavens.
@ii

Offline /L

• Major(1)
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2007, 11:06:19 am »
Wow, Dagger. You're a jerk.

Offline Avkon

• Soldier
  • Ah, whatever.
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2007, 12:02:45 pm »
M79 not a real gun? Hell, it takes more skill to use the M79 than any of the other 'sprayers', etc.
Ever tried missing a shot and staying alive till it reloads?
N00bs get me with the M79 too, but I don't complain or cry...
I just get them back with the M79 about 10 times more than they got me!
Besides, I use the M79 in all CTF matches (pub., CWs, w/e), and I've got people a lot more times in a single life than, say, a n00b could ever do....
Also, n00bs usually kill a person or two and die, and spawn again and do the same thing, which goes into the realm of spawn-killing.. the pros get atleast 4+ people in a life before they're taken out.

Offline rayza

• Major
  • Anything 4 B33r
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2007, 05:05:42 pm »
M79 not a real gun? Hell, it takes more skill to use the M79 than any of the other 'sprayers', etc.
Ever tried missing a shot and staying alive till it reloads?
N00bs get me with the M79 too, but I don't complain or cry...
I just get them back with the M79 about 10 times more than they got me!
Besides, I use the M79 in all CTF matches (pub., CWs, w/e), and I've got people a lot more times in a single life than, say, a n00b could ever do....
Also, n00bs usually kill a person or two and die, and spawn again and do the same thing, which goes into the realm of spawn-killing.. the pros get atleast 4+ people in a life before they're taken out.
i agree
miss= dead with a m79 your a n00b target or unlucky person against a good M79er if you get killed in the first shot or just a n00b if you get killed after he reloads.
in short:
n00bs h8 getting nowned by some one who is better than them
eg.
everyone!
if i had my own bazooka then there wouldn't be much else in the world

Offline Avkon

• Soldier
  • Ah, whatever.
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2007, 07:48:31 am »
I play with all weapons:) m79 is good for small maps, the best universal weapon is AK:)

No way!
M79 is good for large maps too.. in fact, it may be better for large maps, where there are players scattered all over the place, and there's more than enough time to reload after a kill before you attack another player.
I use the HK MP5/M72 Law combo for small maps, M79/USSOCOM combo for large maps, and they work out perfectly.

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2007, 01:23:38 pm »
Ok, well Ive been playing for almost a year now (like 11 months or so) and I still maintain that the m79 is overpowered. it is not a matter of adapting. It is a matter that you can shoot the crap out of an m79er, chipping away his health, then he grabs a medkit and slaughters you. Either that or you just shoot the crap out of him and he turns around and kills you like that. It can be annoying sometimes.

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2007, 06:52:15 pm »
in Deathmatch on small/medium maps, it IS an overpowered weapon. Just face that.
There is not one manouver you can do when you are midair and a m79 is jetting towards you. Unless he really sucks, or goes into a seizure or something.

In CTF it is a whole other thing. There you might not be engaging him directly, but going for the flag.

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline Ride

• Soldier
    • NA Soldat Clan Website
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2007, 11:21:39 pm »
There is one "manouver" you can do.. its risky but
that power button below the cd drive.. yea you know the one..
Go ahead Press It

You Know you want to.
Ingame Name: TC ~ Ryde.Lf ~
Past Clans: ^Re/ ~ -eO:

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2007, 11:38:47 pm »
in Deathmatch on small/medium maps, it IS an overpowered weapon. Just face that.
There is not one manouver you can do when you are midair and a m79 is jetting towards you. Unless he really sucks, or goes into a seizure or something.

In CTF it is a whole other thing. There you might not be engaging him directly, but going for the flag.
On small dm maps... if a few people are using autos then its a bit of a done deal for the m79, not that easy to stay alive with bullets everywhere. I usually just stay in one set path and kill anyone that dare get in my way.
@ii

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2007, 12:26:39 am »
Learn to play the game and STFU.  The M79 has been around in Soldat for 7 years

I stopped reading right here.
I have a Mac so I can't play with you guys no more :(
(psst MM make a Mac version)

Offline Dizzy So 1337

• Soldier
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2007, 06:07:51 am »
Learn to play the game and STFU.  The M79 has been around in Soldat for 7 years

I stopped reading right here.

OK, OK!  This spurious statistic has been pointed out a few times.  Explanation of my carelessness.  Eh, I've been playing since about 3.5 years ago, given that my first version was 1.2.0.  At the time I wrote the post it just kinda 'felt' more like 4.5 years.  I have always been careless and bad with my memory regarding time especially if it is anything more than 6 months back. 

Anyways, I just kinda 'guessed' at the total age of soldat by multiplying my personal soldat experience by 1.5... I just assumed that based on the level of popularity and activity at the time I got into it, and the number of versions that had preceded me, that this math was 'in the ballpark'.  Clearly it is not even close.

So, clearly these things are true:
1)  I shoulda said 'since the beginning' instead of '7 years'.
2)  I am not getting a fact-checker job anytime soon (except maybe for the Los Angeles Times).

Also as a final note I want to say that my personal views regarding the M79 have changed somewhat since the OP, and partially in response to the lively discussion my rant inspired (yeah I know its a dead horse to the 5stars hereabouts).  I still find the M79 to be 'perfectly' balanced in high level games with elite players.  However these days I am more likely to concede that it can be regarded as overpowered in a public server that is populated with a buncha Soldat initiates, and a damned nuisance in Hexer.

Date Posted: September 16, 2007, 04:10:56 am

Dizzy, you don't have the right to call people n00bs. It shows your lack of maturitiy when dealing with this subject and as I can see you aren't really neutral when it comes to this, you're in favor for m79 being the way it is. Instead of balancing the game, you want things to stay the same so you could use the m79 and have fun with it.

Actually, I'm an ex-M79'er.  I moved onto other weapons like a year ago, after I learned the M79's limitations inside and out.  My post is not meant to defend my use of the M79, lol!!! I dont use the damn thing anymore, because I have moved on past n00b level a long time ago and unless you really, really, really know the M79 you cannot kill 1337 soldat players with it.  An newbie M79'er is a joke to me in battle.  Your mistake is assuming that because I am in favor of the M79, that I am an M79 user.  I'm not.

My point stands... M79 should be called a 'n00bcannon' and rightly so... but not because only n00bs use it... no, it should be called a 'n00bcannon' because only n00bs get KILLED BY IT.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 06:20:08 am by Dizzy So 1337 »
xfire - todhostetler
"There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone except to stick a dogskull on a stake."

Offline Xeogin

• Major(1)
  • My sword is betta :P
    • As the Light Fades
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2007, 07:51:04 am »
I'm new to this game, but I don't see the M-79 as a over powering weapon, I can see that it can easily be over used by lamers, but still, I've only played for 3 days, and I can dodge it already... you guys really are noobs for complaining, I don't even use a mouse, I use a nub to control!  :P

And use say use real guns? Other than the fact that is really is a real gun, name one other gun that is useful, and can't be lamed out? I think you'd reach a verdict of 0.
So... I'm a Fluke; get used to it! :P