Author Topic: Hexer spell & feature suggestion thread  (Read 36299 times)

Offline Brok3n Arr0w

• Major
Re: Hexer spell & feature suggestion thread
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2007, 05:36:04 pm »
i think it would be really hard to code spells that affect other spells in the way you describe.  and also there will have to be alot of individual coding for each spell, like the weapon-specific spells.  also, your spell choices earlier on could easily dictate what mastery you choose.  when do you pick masteries? lvl 40?

the sub mastery is reaaly overpowered.  someone could end up with lvl 13 warmth and a lvl 12 evade.  or it could be set up where the person has many differing skill = vanish + evade, warmth + vamp.  people have never been able to evade spells, and i dont really want it to happen. 

swat is solely for those with non static spells.  but a  majority of spells are static (idea i just got - static summons?).  so most wont be picking swat. 

lvl 40 + mastery = ~30 and below are screwed.  think, lvl 40 with sub?  thats so rape. 

the only ones that can fit without giving huge advantages or are too spell specific are the input/output boosts.  but they can be lowered a bit.  at lvl 40 you would be dealing huge damage.  plus crit or pierce is rape. 

but the mastery idea is still good.  just need more balancing and avarax's approval. 
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2007, 06:46:49 pm »
Yes, my ideas are preliminary and still unbalanced but it does give an idea on what to expect. You would also learn your mastery on level 6.

Thats only if Avarax decides to add in a mastery skill class, though.
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2007, 08:21:13 pm »
Explosion barrier:
Defense: Protects you from all explosives like LAWS, Nades, and M79's. But doesn't' protect from bullets, and only lasts a certain amount of time that matters on what your level is.
Effect: This works like manna, but only with explosives, and lasts a certain amount of time, and doesn't just wear off with one hit from something powerful. Bullets, though, can penetrate it and hit you, but explosions do no damage.
starts at 3 seconds at first level.
Every level you gain half a second.

Date Posted: July 28, 2007, 11:06:49 PM
Inf. Jets:
offensive: When used, you have inf jets until it wears off.
Effect: Keeps your jet amount full until it wears off.
First level you get 2 seconds, and each level you get half a second added on.

Explosion Barrier: I dont think this is coded easily. The skill itself is not very useful, as not every player is going to rely on an explosive arsenal - remember to never think of a skill for a 'perfect situation'.

Inf Jets: Not useful by itself.

Inf jets and sprint are perfect together.  Inf jets and vanish would be great for a drop in attack.

The explosion barrier would be great because of the following...
1: Everyone seems to spam nades all the time at basses.
2: Half the players usually use M79's
3: Nade suicides happen all the time.

Quote from: Biscuiteer
Explosion barrier:
Defense: Protects you from all explosives like LAWS, Nades, and M79's. But doesn't' protect from bullets, and only lasts a certain amount of time that matters on what your level is.
Effect: This works like manna, but only with explosives, and lasts a certain amount of time, and doesn't just wear off with one hit from something powerful. Bullets, though, can penetrate it and hit you, but explosions do no damage.
starts at 3 seconds at first level.
Every level you gain half a second.

Date Posted: July 28, 2007, 11:06:49 PMInf. Jets:
offensive: When used, you have inf jets until it wears off.
Effect: Keeps your jet amount full until it wears off.
First level you get 2 seconds, and each level you get half a second added on.

Explosion Barrier: I dont think this is coded easily. The skill itself is not very useful, as not every player is going to rely on an explosive arsenal - remember to never think of a skill for a 'perfect situation'.

Inf Jets: Not useful by itself.

Quote from: cunchy on Today at 12:53:08 AM
How about we wander away from the Heal, Def, Ofs and Summon skills. How about we make a new category... Like "buff" Skills.

Workout : Static [Can be Learnt at lvl 10]
Increases damage output by an extra 0.5% every time you level up.
(This skill stays at the SAME Level)[Can us higher lvled peeps get our Output even if we learn it after lvl 10 Pwease ;_;]

Shell : Static [Can be Learnt at lvl 10]
Decreases damage Input by an extra 0.5% every time you level up.
(This skill stays at the SAME Level)

Date Posted: July 29, 2007, 12:48:40 AM More Buff spells Learnt at level 10

Resources : Static
Decreases all Spell cooldowns by 15%.
[Stays at Same level]

Healthy : Static
Increases Damage output by an extra 0.25% Every level Up
Decreases damage Input by an extra 0.25% Every level Up.
[Same level >_>]

I do like the 'buff' class of skill - but it needs a better name. How about 'Masteries'.

They work just like the other skill classes - only one can be learned, however they never increase in effectiveness (ie. they never get better.) Ill also post in some of my ideas and some changes to cunchy's ideas:

Arsenal Mastery: (Formerly known as 'Workout')
As a master of weapons, you are able to deal more damage to your foes.
Effect: Your output and output bonuses are multiplied by an additional 125% (ie. if your output was 100%, it is now 125%. Any normal additions to your output are increased as well - so if your output normally increases by 10%, it increases by 12.5% instead)

Commando Mastery: (Formerly known as 'Shell')
Being a tough-as-nails commando, you can take in alot more damage than your standard trooper.
Effect: Your input and input bonuses are multiplied by an additional 130% (Works the same way as Arsenal Mastery - but for input)

Subsisting Mastery:
Surviving in harsh environments has toughened you up - making you a whole lot more annoying to kill.
Effect: 5% chance to avoid bullets, 10% chance to avoid enemy spells, a level 3 warmth without the threshold, and regenerates jets twice as fast when on the ground. All effects stack onto any other skills.

SWAT Mastery:
Trained as a SWAT member for over a decade, you use teamwork and fancy tools in order to eliminate the enemy in any way you can.
Effect: ALL cooldowns are reduced by 25%, and all non-static spells gain a boost in effectiveness, and you and your buddies gain bonuses similar to War Standard if you team up.
These would be harder to code then my explosion barrier.
Being in teams would heighten stats, bonuses, etc? People would spam it so then they would all get in groups and quadruple their stats and everything.

Change Gun:
When used, you have the ability to change the weapon in game.
Effect: Good for if you have something like an HK in an open area, you can quickly change it to something more suitable.

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2007, 10:19:30 pm »
Addtional notes on explosion barrier: Yes, that is true - yet alot of those explosion problems can be eliminated with long range and an ak, but i guess i will say the skill is one of the better ones around here.

Addtional note on inf jet: As i mentioned in another skill, this is based on a 'perfect situation'. Its only going to be used for sprint? It seems like a waste of a skill; How can it also be used well?

...And more additional notes: Im pretty sure the input/output bonuses are easy to code:
(Only as an example...)
Char input - 2 = New char input <--- Without the bonus
Char input - |2*1.3| = New char input <--- With the bonus

All you really need to do is code it again, but making sure that it only activates with the bonus.

Change Gun: This has been mentioned before, but usually you are able to find another weapon on the ground anyway; a bit of an iffy skill.
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2007, 12:31:41 am »
For the INF Jets, it would be good for flying at the top of the screen and going for a sneak attack, invisible or not. Also it would be good if you had the flag.

And it is hard to find the one weapon you want. Like if you have accidentally thrown your weapon while trying to use ofs or dfs, sometimes it wont let you pick it back up, its a horrible glitch. Using this will get you your weapon back.

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2007, 06:44:39 am »
Summon Flamebarrier is probably going to be removed because of scripting difficulties and terrible clientside lag due to the many flames. Please think of a 7th cool summon spell, the ones I planned to implement right now are Summon Claymore, Battlesphere, Thornling and Assassin.

Pulsar Onslaught is also probably going to be removed. It was a nice but difficult to code and too easy to use spell. Instead, I've thought of this:

Voodoo Burst
Offensive, Spell
The caster starts radiating large amounts of dark magic in all directions which deals moderate to high damage. Lasts few seconds. Using this spell reduces your HP to 1%. May be cast while dead.
About 200 seconds cooldown.

I'll also remove the Freeze skill idea, which means we need another defensive skill. I thought Xxypher's sink skill idea is very interesting, allthough it could be a very lame spell. Here's my version of it:

Burrow
Defensive, Spell
Attempts to burrow within the ground, can only be cast while really close to the ground.
Burrow may last for a maximum of 20 seconds. 8 seconds for flagcarriers.
You can dig yourself up by using /ofs again. Digging up results in a "Burrow Strike" which deals moderate damage to all enemys that are really close as you dig up. Cooldown starts once the Burrow ends. About 75 seconds cooldown.

I still appreciate new ideas ;)
About the Masteries: I thought about adding the possibility to master a single skill / spell at level 50 (new max level in 0.9.2), might come later. I'm not going to add more skill categories.
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Brok3n Arr0w

• Major
« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2007, 12:12:49 pm »
did u get a look at my energy drain?  i think it would fit nicely as a defensive.  its on page seven, with bis and me discussing the atributes. 

with voodoo burst, does your hp go down to 1% at cast, or at end of spell?  end of spell i would hope.  and i like the "cast while dead," but the user better not cast it while they have a 2 sec respawn.  could u possibly add in a code where when u cast voodoo, ur spawn time stalls to get maximum effect?  and will there be something to indicate the opponent has voodoo (like blood with the berserker)? 

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2007, 12:39:21 pm »
Voodoo Burst is easy to see because of the "dark magics" that radiate from the caster. Your HP goes down at the beginning to make the spell easily counterable as it is a very powerful spell that can take out a whole gang of enemies. The Voodoo effect will stay were your dead body was as you respawn. Since the spell only lasts 2-3 seconds, that won't really be noticed as a "flaw in it's flavour".

Regarding Energy Drain:
Definitly a good alternative to Burrow, but I'd like to see something like it that is more unique. A simple copy of Pierce would be weird.
How about it triggering when the opponent hits you, not you the opponentl... mh....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 12:44:03 pm by Avarax »
Two at the very most
Four I'm under the host

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2007, 05:32:42 pm »
Hmmmm, a skill that is activated when a foe hits you? I think i may have something like that.

(For those of you D2 players, you will recognize this)

Thorn Vest
Static: Has a chance of dealing some damage back to the enemy when struck.
Effect: 25% chance of returning 35% of damage taken upon enemy strike. +4% chance and +2% damage returned per level. Lethal blows are never returned (To keep it fair against barret and m79.)

I'm kinda wondering if this is better as a static or a spell skill.
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline Brok3n Arr0w

• Major
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2007, 08:02:35 pm »
static definately.  and maybe higher returned damage %.  and, have some sort of return with law/m79/snipe/saw. 

what would be the lvl gains with voodoo?

and if energy drain is triggered by opponent hitting u, that would just be lame.  thorn vest is cool. 

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2007, 09:46:30 pm »
My Change gun idea would work good for Hexer, a nice 60 second cool or so too.

No jump:
Defends: When used, your closest enemy can not jump for 3 seconds, each level up gets cooldown -1 second. First cooldown starts at 100 seconds.

Suicide Bomb
Offense: takes down yourself, but also everyone near you. Any enemy with in a few steps radius of you will die, long with yourself.
The cooldown starts at 200 and goes down by 1.5 seconds every level.

Offline freestyler

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2007, 03:13:33 am »
Thorn Vest
Effect: 25% chance of returning 35% of damage taken upon enemy strike. +4% chance and +2% damage returned per level. Lethal blows are never returned (To keep it fair against barret and m79.)

I'm kinda wondering if this is better as a static or a spell skill.
Definitely static. F12.

Xxypher's:
No jump - haha, useless.
Suicide Bomb - afair Avarax said that he is not going to implement instant-kill spells.

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2007, 05:37:47 am »
Thorn Vest

Hmmmm I'd love to give this an absolute damage return, not a percentage, you know?

25% chance to avoid 20 damage and repel it back to the enemy

Makes it a perfect skill vs. autos and spas. The way Biscuiteer posted it, it would of course be a nice skill vs. 1-hitters, It'd return like 100 damage on lethal blows... that would be 2/3 of max health.
Two at the very most
Four I'm under the host

Offline cunchy

• Soldier
  • D:!
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2007, 06:11:02 am »
Extreme Bullets
Offensive - For 3 seconds you deal double the damage. After the 5 (or so) Seconds are over, the damage you dealt is Halved and dealt to you. (Say you do 120 damage, your HP will go down by 60).

Cooldown - 100second
                   Cooldown decreases by 2.5 and time increase by 1 every 2 levels, level 7 damage dealt to     
                   you decreases to 1/3.

Offline freestyler

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2007, 06:21:14 am »
Quote from: Avarax
Hmmmm I'd love to give this an absolute damage return, not a percentage, you know?

Avoid? That would be better than Evasion, makes Evasion useless.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2007, 02:44:41 pm »
Summon fire ghoul:
Summon
Effect, summons a ghoul with no weapon, but when this ghoul touches you, you catch on fire. since it wont be an instant kill like with a saw, cooldown will be a little less than the ghoul.

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2007, 10:14:18 pm »
Thorn Vest

Makes it a perfect skill vs. autos and spas. The way Biscuiteer posted it, it would of course be a nice skill vs. 1-hitters, It'd return like 100 damage on lethal blows... that would be 2/3 of max health.

Avoid a pre-set amount of damage? Well, there are alot more counters to autos than anything that deals strong blows, so a percentage-based thorn vest would be more balancing for the mod - and it would discourage strong hitters for weaker hits - and keep the player thinking to survive, but i could improve the skill by adding a base damage returned like, say, 2 damage and +1 per level. Anyways, this skill needs some tweaking until we really have something here.

Extreme Bullets
Offensive - For 3 seconds you deal double the damage. After the 5 (or so) Seconds are over, the damage you dealt is Halved and dealt to you. (Say you do 120 damage, your HP will go down by 60).

This is pretty much critting non-stop for a few seconds, and then with a pretty bad drawback which will most likely kill the player after its over. The skill has its uses, but i've never liked skills that hurt you as a side-effect.

Summon fire ghoul:
Summon
Effect, summons a ghoul with no weapon, but when this ghoul touches you, you catch on fire. since it wont be an instant kill like with a saw, cooldown will be a little less than the ghoul.

Erm.... The ghoul's almost never gonna kill as players will most likely stay away from bots anyway.
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2007, 10:41:55 pm »
Yeah, maybe give the ghouls extra health, or have it heal itself over time.

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2007, 10:56:59 pm »
Well, giving it healing will keep it alive but it still wont be able to really do any damage which is why i have to deny the skill.
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2007, 04:58:02 am »
I've made this Thorn skill now, it's already coded:

Repel
Defensive, Static
Whenever you are dealed damage, Repel reduces this damage by 5.5% and returns those bits of damage to the shooter. Returned damage can't be higher than 60 (=40% of max health), returned damage can't kill the shooter.

+0,5% reduction / return per skilllevel
Two at the very most
Four I'm under the host