Poll

Do you like this idea?

Yes!
19 (76%)
No!
6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Client-server mod compatibility  (Read 5399 times)

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
Client-server mod compatibility
« on: July 02, 2007, 04:09:53 am »
We know that when server has a weaponmod, every client uses server's weapon stats for obvious reasons. I'm thinking about something similar to this, but affecting whole mods (of course it should be optional).
Reasons to do so:
- it'll be an easy way to exchange mods directly,
- overall playing experience is better when we have entire mod, not only weapon stats; this applies at least to some big mods,
- it can be unfair when someone has modified graphics; this could be an easy way to assure fair play in official matches.

Think about maps: long ago if you played on a server with custom maps, every time map changed you had to quit, find it on the net and download it manually, then rejoin. Now maps download themselves when they are needed - how convenient!

I think that it won't need a lot of coding since auto map-download is already built in.

As I've said, it should be optional:
server options:
- don't allow mod downloading,
- allow mod downloading (default setting),
- force mod downloading (not recommended. maybe this option shouldn't be avaliable at all),
client options:
- don't download mod,
- download mod (if avaliable)

What do you think?

(please vote)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 09:37:03 am by Gotfryd »

Offline Mastadi

• Camper
  • What makes me a good demoman!?
Re: Client-server mod compatibility
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 09:56:42 am »
Nah, it would kill the point of modding soldat - to have your own unique game, or atleast that not everybody haves. And if it would happen, we would probably have just 5-7 mods used.

F11

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 10:17:08 am »
But what if I seriously don't want to download a mod? Just tell people that your server is enhanced when playing your mod, and provide a link.

F11.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 11:11:55 am »
I friggin hate when people use cheap mods.  It's so annoyingly unfair.
...I thought MM made it so you can't play online with custom a mod :/
F12 only if a person isn't forced to download it.  (so if server says you must you can choose yes/no)
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 03:04:32 pm »
Heh. Actually, I think that not many servers would force downloading a mod...Probably most will have default setting, "allow downloading".

@Mastadi:
Of course it would be optional:
server options:
- don't allow mod downloading(...)

...I thought MM made it so you can't play online with custom a mod :/
As far as I'm concerned when playing online you should have default anims, and weapon stats are downloaded from server. Rest - graphics, sounds, etc. - can be loaded from any mod you want.

@SplitCoffee:
I don't understand why do you think that most servers would force downloading...
However, if many people think that forcing download isn't good, it can surely be crossed out from this idea.

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 08:38:06 pm »
This would make modding alot more popular. Instead of downloading the mod and extracting to the soldat folder, soldat does it automatically. You can't screw up the installation, you dont need to dig through alot of inferior mods to find the one you want (or to a lesser extent), and you probably arent forced to use the mod.

F12
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 03:53:49 am »
F12 and F11.

It would make gameplay a lot more fair, but what about all the people who have used a single mod or interface all their Soldatting lives, using a foreign mod will also affect their gameplay greatly.
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 06:30:09 pm »
F12 and F11.

It would make gameplay a lot more fair, but what about all the people who have used a single mod or interface all their Soldatting lives, using a foreign mod will also affect their gameplay greatly.
client options:
- don't download mod
- download mod
F12, (i would disable, but still... it can add to the mood of a custom soldat server a lot if it is good (halo server, halo maps, halo mod; mario server, mario maps, mario bullets and explosions; etc)

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:21:34 pm »
F12, there might be a certain script on the server which might be enhanced by having their mod on it...
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 11:39:05 pm »
Hrmm... I like this idea, but some groundwork needs to be done first.

It would be silly if everytime I joined a modded server and I wanted to see the extent of the mod, I would have to overwrite my Soldat directory.

Firstly Soldat would need a system where you could select which mod to use in the Options. Something like the interfaces, where you selct from a dropdown box. You choose from default, or from what you have in your Mods directory.

When you join a modded server and agree to d/l, it will save that mod to your Mods directory, and automatically set your current selected mod to that one.

Also, consider the size of the download. When we start dealing with lots of bmp and wav files, the size increases quickly. By the time youre finished downloading the mod content, the map will change, and probably force you to download that aswell. Theres probably a few bugs in the error control here.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 01:12:20 am »
f11
whats with unregistered?
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 01:19:36 am »
F12, mods are gay...what is the point of modding, just play the normal game and stop using cheap crap to win.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 04:11:10 am »
Firstly Soldat would need a system where you could select which mod to use in the Options. Something like the interfaces, where you selct from a dropdown box. You choose from default, or from what you have in your Mods directory.
LOL! There is such a system. Just run start.exe instead of Soldat.exe, choose a mod (you can choose from mods that are in Mods subfolder) and play!

When you join a modded server and agree to d/l, it will save that mod to your Mods directory, and automatically set your current selected mod to that one.
Exactly, that was my idea.

Also, consider the size of the download.
Some maps are already big and people download it, so I see no issue here.

whats with unregistered?
??
What has registration to do with it?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 09:18:49 am by Gotfryd »

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 04:37:58 am »
LOL! There is such a system. Just run start.exe instead of Soldat.exe, choose a mod (you can choose from mods that are in Mods subfolder) and play!

I said "...in the Options. Something like the interfaces, where you selct from a dropdown box". If you need to restart Soldat to run a mod, how will it activate when you join a server? I dont want to reboot Soldat just to enter a server. I was suggesting a more integrated approach.

Some maps are already big and people ddownload it, so I see no issue here.

Maps dont include wav files. Wav files are essentially raw audio data. The size will compound very quickly if people arent experienced. Sound alone, done properly, will stand at about 7mb for a full mod. Thats a tedious wait just to download the sound for a server, even for dsl.
On reflection, the graphics side of things shouldnt be an issue. The size of images are limited, and a full gfx mod wont be much more than a meg.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 09:18:37 am »
I said "...in the Options. Something like the interfaces, where you selct from a dropdown box". If you need to restart Soldat to run a mod, how will it activate when you join a server? I dont want to reboot Soldat just to enter a server. I was suggesting a more integrated approach.
All right. I thought you somehow didn't know about mod starter. Sorry.
Of course, you are right. It should be possible to change mod without restarting Soldat, especially if my idea would be implemented.

And about download time...
In general, ordinary (not rpg-ones packed with scripts, extra features, different races etc.) mods are between 6 and 12 MB. With 512 Kb/s download speed it would take between 1.5 and 3 minutes to download. Imo this time is somewhat long, but reasonable.
And small partial modifications will take seconds to download.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 12:02:16 pm by Gotfryd »

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 10:37:52 am »
Gotfryd, assuming that those 6-12MB mods are largely BMP files, having compression on the transfer would cut down the time a lot.  Those mods, what size would you say they typically are when you download them in .zip or .rar format?

Just to make sure (I've never used any kind of mod), we're talking about mods of game-related/gameplay-related graphics, not interface mods, right?

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 04:48:35 pm »
Those mods, what size would you say they typically are when you download them in .zip or .rar format?
I didn't say it, but I meant the size of a zipped mod when I wrote 6-12 MB. Sorry for not being clear :)

Just to make sure (I've never used any kind of mod), we're talking about mods of game-related/gameplay-related graphics, not interface mods, right?
Yeah, modified weapons-gfx, gostek-gfx, sfx, etc., not ammo/health/jet bars, crosshair etc..

I've never used any kind of mod
Now, this is very suprising! :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:52:54 am by Gotfryd »