Poll

Is Lobby Chat a good idea?

F12
142 (82.6%)
F11
30 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Author Topic: Lobby Chat  (Read 18642 times)

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
Re: Lobby Chat
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2007, 03:47:07 pm »
It kinda gets complicated if there is a lot of people in lobby. I play Worms4 and it has a lobby chat. Every player goes to the lobby chat when entering online mode, but it doesn't get really full of people so it doesn't bring a lot of problems. Ocasionally you see some spammers, but you can use a command /ignore. There is no moderator in the chat. Maybe there isn't enough worms players to take this by example, or maybe it is the fact that players are taken out of the chat once they created or joined a game. Also, everyone uses any language, which from my point of view is great. I've learned some russian playing worms :D
So, it might work without problems, but i don't know how many players will be there chating in the lobby... i think most people would be playing.
urraka

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2007, 02:07:21 am »
Yeah Worms 4 doesn't have alot of players so there aren't any problems, but games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 have a lobby chat, and it gets filled up with alot of players but there aren't anybody causing trouble there either. Maybe except for people desperately asking for servers.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2007, 11:31:29 am »
Well, maybe there should be multiple servers - like the Starcraft lobby. If Soldat Main is full, then you are automatically moved to Soldat Main 1, and etc. Each of the servers would have a bot that punishes if the user spams or uses foul language.

And as for the language issue, then it would read off of your preferred language choice in Soldat Setup and automatically send you to the right channel (like Soldat Main for english or Español Canal de Soldat for spanish users)

Yeah, if this is implemented then MM can decide about it. There obviously will be different servers for people who speak a different language. The bot will basically "flood kick" the spammer. That person then cannot speak.

It kinda gets complicated if there is a lot of people in lobby. I play Worms4 and it has a lobby chat. Every player goes to the lobby chat when entering online mode, but it doesn't get really full of people so it doesn't bring a lot of problems. Ocasionally you see some spammers, but you can use a command /ignore. There is no moderator in the chat. Maybe there isn't enough worms players to take this by example, or maybe it is the fact that players are taken out of the chat once they created or joined a game. Also, everyone uses any language, which from my point of view is great. I've learned some russian playing worms :D
So, it might work without problems, but i don't know how many players will be there chating in the lobby... i think most people would be playing.

There will be different servers. Let's say that one server can be filled up by 100 people, if that server gets full then you are automatically redirected to another server similar to it. Also, there is a big chance the Lobby Chat won't be filled with players (I'm not saying that this will never happen), but as you said, most people WOULD be playing.

Yeah Worms 4 doesn't have alot of players so there aren't any problems, but games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 have a lobby chat, and it gets filled up with alot of players but there aren't anybody causing trouble there either. Maybe except for people desperately asking for servers.

No problem there, maybe I will look into how the THPS lobby chat works...

Date Posted: July 14, 2007, 11:12:46 AM
I wonder if MM looked into this. It would be great if he posted his comment about this.

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline Soldatik

• Major(1)
  • SOLDAT ROCK!!!!!
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2007, 12:49:14 pm »
This would be a great idea but i think not its to spawny...maby an Ingame mIRC is a good idea
Soldat can be cool...
Soldat can be suck...
but it i always play my Soldat :)

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2007, 05:51:26 pm »
This would be a great idea but i think not its to spawny...maby an Ingame mIRC is a good idea
We already talked about this...it's a no...

Date Posted: July 14, 2007, 06:00:53 PM
Well, maybe there should be multiple servers - like the Starcraft lobby. If Soldat Main is full, then you are automatically moved to Soldat Main 1, and etc. Each of the servers would have a bot that punishes if the user spams or uses foul language.

And as for the language issue, then it would read off of your preferred language choice in Soldat Setup and automatically send you to the right channel (like Soldat Main for english or Español Canal de Soldat for spanish users)

I think I posted something about this, but yeah that is basically what I am trying to say...If I can find the post that I mentioned it on.
Wouldn't it be packed though? I like the idea of each server having a chat or something like that. Besides, what would be the main language if theres only 1 server? Maybe there should be a report system where people can report others if they spam/flood or whatever.

It would be adminless, with a bot managing all the activity.

There should probably be only one Main Lobby so admins wouldn't need to oversee a pointless amount of servers, only the 'Official Soldat Lobby'.

The chat system should be able to go to any channel on quakenet but the Main Lobby would be the only 'guaranteed' channel - if you catch my drift.

I posted something about this. So it would be easier, the tab system would come into play. If you wanted to go to a different server, you open a new tab and go to it (like Mozilla Firefox). In this way it would be a whole lot easier.

Date Posted: July 14, 2007, 07:59:15 PM
Bump, keep the discussion going.

Offline adadqgg

• Soldier
  • Yuri for the win ~desu
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2007, 10:51:45 am »
F12, a lobby chat connected to a quakenet channel is gonna teach the newbies how to use IRC, but its already like to IRC so they wont have to learn it.

Shikabane Hime... Undead girls... Dual-wielding Mac 11s... Epic bayonets... WIN!

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2007, 07:54:19 pm »
F12, a lobby chat connected to a quakenet channel is gonna teach the newbies how to use IRC, but its already like to IRC so they wont have to learn it.
Hopefully MM and some other Admins check this out.

Date Posted: July 19, 2007, 06:32:40 PM
Bump, please keep the discussion going.

Offline Flacid Assassin

• Camper
  • Gorby The Grunt
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2007, 08:03:14 pm »
F12

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2007, 01:36:43 pm »
Man that's it? Need an explanation.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2007, 02:06:13 pm »
Maybe have multiple channels (Lobby Channel 1-6) and a player joins a random channel on startup - and then we can have secret channels 7-10 for non-noobs that not many others should know about.  In any case, when you install soldat it should assign you a random channel and you can later change the channel.
And it should allow people to create subchannels as well that are optionally passworded - ideal for clans!!!
If MM pulls this through it would ROX!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2007, 02:42:20 pm »
I think it should be done this way:

Layout would be in tabs.
One main channel (only one).
Ability to send private messages EASILY (not with a command and writing the nick, and maybe opening another tab).
Ability to create and join channels (passworded or not).
Ability to ignore players.
The nickname would be your player nick plus some number if it's already logged.
urraka

Offline Xaero

• Soldier
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2007, 03:50:08 pm »
I don't like the idea..
IRC is good enough and with the soldat script, you can use soldat://ip:port/pass clickable, this is easy by now.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2007, 04:33:29 pm »
This is the thing, though. We've been saying that Soldat could connect to an IRC channel, to save on having to make a server for the job... unless FLAB wants to, of course.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2007, 10:20:51 pm »
Layout would be in tabs.
One main channel (only one).
Ability to send private messages EASILY (not with a command and writing the nick, and maybe opening another tab).
Ability to create and join channels (passworded or not).
Ability to ignore players.
The nickname would be your player nick plus some number if it's already logged.

I still like mah idea better.

and maybe depending on the filters you have on you could talk to a specific group of people.

Offline Justin1223

• Soldier
  • Don't be stressed..get a life!
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2007, 06:53:18 pm »
good idea.
uuuhhhh.......I like pop tarts. yay! :P

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2007, 12:15:40 pm »
Here's how I envision the chat (in part)-
You would just click the underlined blue text to join that server,
You can personalize it and having friends and favorite channels...
There would also be symbols next to the channels (such as a lock if it's locked, a C to indicate it's a clan channel, etc.)
Your font is the color of your shirt (just like your in-game name color)
You double click on someone to start a personal chat (at the top) and you get put into a random channel (Channel 3 in this case).  You can of course join another channel.  Channels and Private Chats are browsable tab-style (as shown).
Should I add something?

(sry for the grey contained pixels in the text - i whipped this up on paint at work and i didn't wanna go through changing everything...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:24:29 pm by zyxstand »

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2007, 12:51:21 pm »
Spliting the view in 2 for private chat si a bad idea. Private chat should be just another tab, like another channel. Also, I don't like that thing abou colors, honestly I hate chats with lots of annoying crappy colors. However it would be nice if you could highlight some player if you want. Like you can do in GameSpy, if you know it.
Channel list isn't necesary i think. A favourite list of channel would be nice, but better a small dropdown-box on the top (just like soldat servers favourites).
The friends list isn't necessary either. Your friends could be highlighted.
It's important to save space for the chat window, you know.
urraka

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2007, 01:10:10 pm »
you prolly don like the chat separate form private chat b.c your IRC does it like that...  I think it's better like that...
the friends list is like a buddy list - having to browse the main players list to find a highlighted name is harder.
Ehh i just changed my mind...  It's better to have private chat and main channel-chat combined to save space.
But there needs to be a channels list so that noobs can easily find the channels - no complicated "/join #SomeClanChannel" because that isn't obvious enough!
And if privatechat is combined with channel-chat then let there be two rows of tablature - this separates it better, giving bigger room for chat window, and keeps the chat well-organized....

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2007, 02:05:41 pm »
I dont agree with your way of combining private and normal chat, zyx.

How about that private chat is differently colored than normal chat - like battle.net?
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline Bunney

• Flagrunner
  • Early Rave/Oldskool <3
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2007, 02:48:05 pm »
F12