Poll

Is Lobby Chat a good idea?

F12
142 (82.6%)
F11
30 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Author Topic: Lobby Chat  (Read 18387 times)

Offline adadqgg

• Soldier
  • Yuri for the win ~desu
Re: Lobby Chat
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2007, 03:13:20 pm »
Here's how I envision the chat (in part)-
You would just click the underlined blue text to join that server,
You can personalize it and having friends and favorite channels...
There would also be symbols next to the channels (such as a lock if it's locked, a C to indicate it's a clan channel, etc.)
Your font is the color of your shirt (just like your in-game name color)
You double click on someone to start a personal chat (at the top) and you get put into a random channel (Channel 3 in this case).  You can of course join another channel.  Channels and Private Chats are browsable tab-style (as shown).
Should I add something?

(sry for the grey contained pixels in the text - i whipped this up on paint at work and i didn't wanna go through changing everything...
you are gonna need a scroll-bar for the messages(since there could be alot of ppl talk at the same time, this is a must have)

Shikabane Hime... Undead girls... Dual-wielding Mac 11s... Epic bayonets... WIN!

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2007, 03:26:03 pm »
lol okay listen guys:
I just gave a quick sketch of what I see in the chat.
Of course there's gonna be a scroll bar for anything taht needs it (ie chat, channels list, players list, etc.) so don't go flaming me on about how i missed this and that...
But I like the color idea - four colors for four kinds of chat:
1) Official lobby chat (channels 1-6 or whatever)
2) Private Chat (involving you and another person)
3) Clan-channel chat
4) Other channel chat

oh, also, the ability to hide a channel from public view (unless you added it to your favorites) to have a pseudo-private chat.  That way you can advertise it in the forums without having all the newbs come in and blabber around...
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline adadqgg

• Soldier
  • Yuri for the win ~desu
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2007, 03:32:35 pm »
I still think soldat should have a in-game IRC, and shortcuts to channels.

Shikabane Hime... Undead girls... Dual-wielding Mac 11s... Epic bayonets... WIN!

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2007, 04:11:10 pm »
I don't think making clan-cahnnels is possible, it should be just like any other channel... unless IRC isn't used for this. Or you would need some database with all clan channels, which I think isn't going to happen. That's why I think channel list is useless... what channels would be there on the list? You aren't going to list all soldat.* channels cuz there are loootz.
So, my opinion is still to have just one main channel, and if you create a channel and want your friends to enter it you can tell them with private message (or not).

I still think soldat should have a in-game IRC, and shortcuts to channels.

This would be all an in-game IRC. All of this can be implemented using IRC.
urraka

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2007, 02:09:00 pm »
lol okay listen guys:
I just gave a quick sketch of what I see in the chat.
Of course there's gonna be a scroll bar for anything taht needs it (ie chat, channels list, players list, etc.) so don't go flaming me on about how i missed this and that...
But I like the color idea - four colors for four kinds of chat:
1) Official lobby chat (channels 1-6 or whatever)
2) Private Chat (involving you and another person)
3) Clan-channel chat
4) Other channel chat

oh, also, the ability to hide a channel from public view (unless you added it to your favorites) to have a pseudo-private chat. That way you can advertise it in the forums without having all the newbs come in and blabber around...

Basically what I mean. God guys please don't make it more complicated than it is. Many people, already said they don't want another mIRC. They just want a nice good plain Lobby Chat.

Date Posted: July 26, 2007, 02:07:38 PM
Here's how I envision the chat (in part)-
You would just click the underlined blue text to join that server,
You can personalize it and having friends and favorite channels...
There would also be symbols next to the channels (such as a lock if it's locked, a C to indicate it's a clan channel, etc.)
Your font is the color of your shirt (just like your in-game name color)
You double click on someone to start a personal chat (at the top) and you get put into a random channel (Channel 3 in this case).  You can of course join another channel.  Channels and Private Chats are browsable tab-style (as shown).
Should I add something?

(sry for the grey contained pixels in the text - i whipped this up on paint at work and i didn't wanna go through changing everything...
EXACTLY.

Date Posted: July 26, 2007, 02:08:25 PM
This would be a great idea but i think not its to spawny...maby an Ingame mIRC is a good idea
We already talked about this...it's a no...

Date Posted: July 14, 2007, 06:00:53 PM
Well, maybe there should be multiple servers - like the Starcraft lobby. If Soldat Main is full, then you are automatically moved to Soldat Main 1, and etc. Each of the servers would have a bot that punishes if the user spams or uses foul language.

And as for the language issue, then it would read off of your preferred language choice in Soldat Setup and automatically send you to the right channel (like Soldat Main for english or Español Canal de Soldat for spanish users)

I think I posted something about this, but yeah that is basically what I am trying to say...If I can find the post that I mentioned it on.
Wouldn't it be packed though? I like the idea of each server having a chat or something like that. Besides, what would be the main language if theres only 1 server? Maybe there should be a report system where people can report others if they spam/flood or whatever.

It would be adminless, with a bot managing all the activity.

There should probably be only one Main Lobby so admins wouldn't need to oversee a pointless amount of servers, only the 'Official Soldat Lobby'.

The chat system should be able to go to any channel on quakenet but the Main Lobby would be the only 'guaranteed' channel - if you catch my drift.

I posted something about this. So it would be easier, the tab system would come into play. If you wanted to go to a different server, you open a new tab and go to it (like Mozilla Firefox). In this way it would be a whole lot easier.

Date Posted: July 14, 2007, 07:59:15 PM
Bump, keep the discussion going.

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2007, 07:52:07 pm »
Just so you guys know, this thread does not need to be bumped for the idea to stay alive.  Myself, MM, and EnEsCe (the 3 people who would implement such a thing) are aware that it exists and how well-developed of an idea it is.  Please don't bump the thread unless you actually have something to say which also hasn't been said yet

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2007, 12:49:33 am »
I love the idea!
This will lead to plenty of 1v1 servers!
I say that this will lead to more matches, and no one will have to use mIRC and its difficult codes and stuff...
I also think this may be bad for spam, maybe making it so someone can onjly post once every five seconds will help cut back on any spam.

I also think voicechat in game would be nice.

Offline Snipufin

• Camper
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2007, 04:15:28 pm »
I would say that you should have an own tab for the lobby chat, like right next to join game tab.

But F12
Name:     Snipufin
Position:    Soldier

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2007, 07:02:49 am »
Well, I'd be glad to see this WITH simple account system. People would come over with other players nicks and just fool around, total chaos i'd say.

Also think about how it would be when there are +100 people chatting at the same time. :|
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Oxyd

• Major(1)
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2007, 01:28:01 pm »
Well, I'd be glad to see this WITH simple account system. People would come over with other players nicks and just fool around, total chaos i'd say.

Also think about how it would be when there are +100 people chatting at the same time. :|

Well on warcraft 3 i see similar things. And don't seem to be having any problems while there are sooooo much people chating on a chanel.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2007, 04:54:22 pm »
@Clawbug: We already talked about that. Please read previous posts.

Date Posted: July 29, 2007, 09:20:13 PM

Well on warcraft 3 i see similar things. And don't seem to be having any problems while there are sooooo much people chating on a chanel.
Well, we could look at more games that has that feature and do a soldat beta with it at least.

Offline Kai

• Major(1)
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2007, 07:16:21 am »
f12 Fully supported. Why?
Because with single instalation u would get tool to comunicate within soldat and not having sepparate installation (irc)
for a single game use.
It's all about honor.
Be fair.
Return the flag to killed ff carrier after respawn.
Let him score he/she deserves it.
Accept that u are not the best like I did.
Allways say hi to a friendly player when he/she greets u.

Kill only for fun.

Offline Dr. Zombi3

• Soldier
  • Happy Almost Halloween :)
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2007, 12:47:27 pm »
good idea, Soldat should have lobby chat.
F12
3 warnings then did naughty thing. Now Banned.

Offline Bunney

• Flagrunner
  • Early Rave/Oldskool <3
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2007, 09:05:25 am »
I Agree. F12
It would make it realy more enjoyable and easier to get with a friend in a server.

btw, 500th post.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2007, 08:23:54 pm »
I Agree. F12
It would make it realy more enjoyable and easier to get with a friend in a server.

btw, 500th post.
Thank you guys. Bunney you have any more ideas? I believe that this should be customizable.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2007, 05:17:28 am »
There should possibly be a spam/flood prevention bot, or something.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2007, 12:50:24 pm »
Just like in-game.

I personally think this would be a brilliant idea, but it would be a bitch to code. Useful for organizing pick-up games and stuff, or finding someone you want to challenge. I support this idea.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2007, 07:36:07 pm »
There should possibly be a spam/flood prevention bot, or something.
Yeah, I hope; if this is put into the Soldat program, I'm sure there will be one.

Just like in-game.

I personally think this would be a brilliant idea, but it would be a feck to code. Useful for organizing pick-up games and stuff, or finding someone you want to challenge. I support this idea.
I really don't know if MM is the only one that works on Soldat or someone helps him.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2007, 08:04:35 pm »
Well... a little unnecesarry, but cool. I wouldn't use it becuase I play INF, and there are like 3 inf servers going at any 1 time.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline viceroy

• Soldier
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2007, 09:27:44 pm »
YES. epic and firm YES.
hoopstar_4_2002: so if you dont mind me askin this, what do you like in women

Viceroy: Organs.