Poll

In-game buddy list sound good?

Sure.
Nah.

Author Topic: In-game buddy list  (Read 2369 times)

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
In-game buddy list
« on: July 06, 2007, 11:11:20 pm »
I searched for this topic, but to my surprise no one has done it yet.

I was thinking it would be convenient to have an in-game buddy system, similar to Counter Strike or Gunbound. It would show who's online, what server, and possibly more in-depth info.

I am aware of Xfire and other programs that do the same job, but those just use extra CPU and make my game lag. If it's in game, its all included and would not take too much [if any] additional memory.

Diggin' me?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: In-game buddy list
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 11:34:23 pm »
I'm already in the process of starting to build this functionality into Soldat.  It will be some time before we see any major progress in the client, if ever

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 03:30:04 am »
Oh, thats great to hear.
Did you announce this somewhere else and I didn't pick it up?

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 03:42:32 am »
Probably not. He's probably putting stuff together to see if it can be done easily.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 04:53:08 am »
Probably not. He's probably putting stuff together to see if it can be done easily.

Mmmmm, ok. It's good to know that feature is at least being pondered. I feel so left out because I'm the only one who can't run Xfire and Soldat without lagging  :P

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 06:52:10 am »
Hey, you aren't the only one. There are heaps of people who have problems with Xfire and Soldat running togther.

I have problems with MSN and Soldat running together, though. If MSN is open, my FPS goes down and my internet is slowed. In fact, I'll keep Xfire open but close MSN when downloading large files.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 10:07:31 pm »
Hey, you aren't the only one. There are heaps of people who have problems with Xfire and Soldat running togther.

I have problems with MSN and Soldat running together, though. If MSN is open, my FPS goes down and my internet is slowed. In fact, I'll keep Xfire open but close MSN when downloading large files.

Ok, that's good to know I'm not the only one. Out of my close friends though, I'm the only one xP

Offline haha

• Camper
  • soldier=soldat=game
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 04:41:35 am »
oh hey great idea, i tried Xfire and soldat and it screwed up soldat, so its useless at the moment, until i get a new com :):)
Image removed, please read the forum rules.

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 09:32:50 am »
oh hey great idea, i tried Xfire and soldat and it screwed up soldat, so its useless at the moment, until i get a new com :):)

Mine Xfire is works fine with soldat.

Offline ajkilla

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 11:20:12 pm »
I'm already in the process of starting to build this functionality into Soldat.  It will be some time before we see any major progress in the client, if ever

Yeah it would Be great if when you made the buddylist you integrated Vent into it Or Voice Chat Like XBox Live and it showed as much info about what the person is doing at the time as possible ..(without making your ping jump I mean I understand its gonna have to be simpler for older systems.)
I OWN U SO JUS LISTEN TO THE SWEET SOUNDS OF....

BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!!!!

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 08:28:42 am »

Ok, that's good to know I'm not the only one. Out of my close friends though, I'm the only one xP

I think the problem may be them pop up windows on the bottom right (with MSN especially).  Turn off pop-ups and it should be MUCH better.

on topic:
This idea would go well with the in-game chat one!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 08:54:08 am »
No. MSN in general lags me. If I have it open, my FPS is halved. My solution: only use Xfire when playing Soldat.

Ontopic: It indeed would. But would it work better if the lobby became an ASE or if the game implemented a login system?

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 09:54:20 am »
I'd say let's stay away from a soldat-logging system.
Let's review:
If IRC were to be used it would have 3 benefits:
1) Easy-to-use chat for people who don't really know IRC (Like auto-authing or whatever) as well as simple double-click-to-join-a-channel feature.
2) Full IRC functionality for IRC lovers.
3) MM wouldn't have to design (or find anyone to design) a login system for soldat - IRC would have that all covered.

I imagine this to be done with a radio-button in the options menu:
(  ) Lobby chat Disabled
(o) Simple Lobby chat (Recommended)
(  ) IRC functional lobby chat

...you get the idea.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Carlitos

• Camper
  • Dont Give Up
    • Mr.Pants adventures on Soldat
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 12:42:26 pm »

this would be good for soldat :)
---See the advantures of Mr.Pants and others in soldat---
http://www.youtube.com/TugaSoldatTV
-------------------------------
Amen
-------------------------------

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 12:52:17 pm »
No it wouldn't because it needs an account system >:

Offline haha

• Camper
  • soldier=soldat=game
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 04:46:42 am »
no it woudnt need an account system...soldat in-game does not have an acc system, and ppl maybe could be identified by their IP adress
Image removed, please read the forum rules.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 07:09:36 am »
No one's IP address is constant. And how is the buddy system going to work without a login system of some kind? You make someone their buddy, and then you never see them again because they've made a minor change to their name and your buddy list can't find them anywhere.

No, I think you'd need a login system of some kind for this to work.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 07:26:52 am »
I don't like login systems at all. I want to go to server to fool people, then return and own them, then return and laugh at them. :>

Fun as hell, if done right.
Fight! Win! Prevail!