Author Topic: Ask A Christian  (Read 37243 times)

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
Ask A Christian
« on: July 17, 2007, 09:10:59 pm »
I had this little deal with some mods and a few people that visit the lounge a lot and it went well. Figured I would bring it here since the current topics have dropped a bit in quality. I know people have questions about Christians and why they believe so ask away. I know we have some catholic guys in here as well so feel free to ask them something too.
@ii

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
Re: Ask A Christian
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:21:26 pm »
What's your opinion on the God delusion? Have you read it?

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 09:23:07 pm »
What's your opinion on the God delusion? Have you read it?
No, but I'll research it a bit and get back to that tomorrow
@ii

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 09:27:01 pm »
What is the churches' position on Christians playing violent games like Soldat? I suppose it depends on what branch of Christianity you're talking about and the age the christian is.

I remember seeing some ultra-hardline 'christian guide to games' website that fully reviewed games and said why it wasn't suitable for Christians. Some of the lines were so ultra-hardline that I burst out laughing. It might have been a joke site, and if it was, they done a good job at it to make it extreme but not ridiculous.

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline Whopkins

• Major(1)
  • :|
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 09:27:34 pm »
what do you think of things that are commonly viewed as "non-christian" i.e. the theory of evolution?

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:30:44 pm »
Last time we had this thread it was totally a succes. Glad to see it brought back.

Anyway,
How do you justify your beliefs compared to what others believe, say Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus etc.? I mean, how can you honestly argue that yours is the right one when everyone else believes the same about their religion just as much as you do?

Also, you believe people who rejects jesus(or in any way don't believe in him) will go to hell, yeah? Some people have never even heard of christianity. How will they ever have the chance to 'believe' then?

Isn't it a little cowardly to for a christian to blame his bad actions on "the will of god"? I mean, shouldn't man take full responsability for his actions?

Gram, hope I didn't offend you. You know I respect your religion, even if I don't fully understand and agree with it.

:),
echo_trail
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 09:32:56 pm »
What do you think of the new Creation Museum?

Oh, and some good comedy about it it.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB5t5fpNWCY

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 09:35:18 pm by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 09:35:43 pm »

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 09:55:04 pm »
Penn and tellers stand on the bible
they took a very educated argument and turned it into a very uneducated attack.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 09:56:35 pm »
What is the churches' position on Christians playing violent games like Soldat? I suppose it depends on what branch of Christianity you're talking about and the age the christian is.

I remember seeing some ultra-hardline 'christian guide to games' website that fully reviewed games and said why it wasn't suitable for Christians. Some of the lines were so ultra-hardline that I burst out laughing. It might have been a joke site, and if it was, they done a good job at it to make it extreme but not ridiculous.
Yes Denomination(branch) and age have alot to do with it. Age.. well thats just like any other parenting guide... don't give your 10 year old a copy of gta.. get where I am going? As for denomination... thats a tough one, some will rule out all violence, others might say its ok as long as its a figure of good fighting a figure of evil. Then it goes even deeper into how strict the church is in that denomination. Me, I just play game for fun, I did play gta a bit but I threw it away because its was boring... I didn't even get into killing anything.... This is a complicated issue to say the least, and I am neither part of a denomination nor a parent so I can't give you a 100% answer on this question, sorry. If you want me to focus on some pinpoint issue I  would be glad to give you the most concrete answer I can.

what do you think of things that are commonly viewed as "non-christian" i.e. the theory of evolution?
People are looking for answers to important questions. I honestly can't blame them for looking since I wanted answers as well. I just found my answer through my Christian beliefs. I was taught evolution as a child, even when I didn't really know about creation, evolution just seems flawed to me though.

Last time we had this thread it was totally a succes. Glad to see it brought back.

Anyway,
How do you justify your beliefs compared to what others believe, say Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus etc.? I mean, how can you honestly argue that yours is the right one when everyone else believes the same about their religion just as much as you do?

Also, you believe people who rejects jesus(or in any way don't believe in him) will go to hell, yeah? Some people have never even heard of Christianity. How will they ever have the chance to 'believe' then?

Isn't it a little cowardly to for a christian to blame his bad actions on "the will of god"? I mean, shouldn't man take full responsibility for his actions?

Gram, hope I didn't offend you. You know I respect your religion, even if I don't fully understand and agree with it.

:),
echo_trail

1. Again that is people looking for answers. Every religion believes a person can be truly happy only when accepting their beliefs. Mine included, however I am in no position to tell them they will never be happy in life. My position is to tell them what I believe to be true and if they don't like it, I can't make them think the way I do.

2. Yes I do believe people that deny Jesus will go to hell. However Christians believe that God put a thought to search for Him in everyone. Which is the reason I believe there are so many religions, they just found something else instead of what was meant to be found.

3. Ohh... good question. Now not everything is Gods wrath killing the wicked. Not everything is satan trying to corrupt you. To be honest to some things we will never know. However Christians are told, by God hands or not if you look at everything in the right way it can make you into a better person or it can just drive you straight into the ground if you give up. Like the song says " You see a mountain. You hear a promise, its never more then you can take."

What do you think of the new Creation Museum?

Oh, and some good comedy about it it.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB5t5fpNWCY

Well to be honest I am not going to visit it but hey I guess its a nice way for Christian parents to let their kids see the fossils and what-not in a Christian friendly way. However this will only bring up heated debates among Christians and scientists int he media... because on this subject each party tries to destroy the others logic instead of just letting people believe what they want.

Penn and tellers stand on the bible
Eh... comedians love to pick on religions... thats how its been for ages.
@ii

Offline Coolio

• Camper
  • Well cya all.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 10:01:46 pm »
Wait why do you believe that people who don't belive in Jesus will go to hell?
BANNED

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 10:06:02 pm »
Yeah, that does sound narrow minded. That is one of the reasons I stopped going to church, the preacher bringing that up every sermon...

My faith just slipped.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 10:11:19 pm »
The born again Christians believe that people are naturally sinful. We can't help it, doesn't mean we are bad people, just we are prone to sin. That sinful nature is deserving of hell. We believe Jesus went to the cross and died for us as a sacrifice. Much like in the old testament people would sacrifice lambs. We believe you either believe in Jesus or you go to hell, hate to be blunt. Basically when someone becomes a christian God no longer sees you and your sins, but Jesus who has taken your place in death already. However we do believe God is actively trying to reach every single person to bring them back to Him. Its not like we have to prove ourselves by climbing a mountain, like it says. He stands at the door and knocks.

Yeah, that does sound narrow minded. That is one of the reasons I stopped going to church, the preacher bringing that up every sermon...

My faith just slipped.
I completely understand that, the whole belief is not about heaven or hell really. Thats just a plus. Its about being loved and loving others. Both these things will only increase your joy.
@ii

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 10:17:54 pm »
If people are prone to so much sin and God doesnt want us to sin then i have to ask....Why did God create humans to be prone to sin?  Is this some kind of sick joke?
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 10:19:21 pm »
If people are prone to so much sin and God doesnt want us to sin then i have to ask....Why did God create humans to be prone to sin?  Is this some kind of sick joke?
Originally we were not prone to sin, but Adam and Eve were tricked into eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Which this caused humans to be prone to sin.

Edit:

Btw guys if I go into rabbit trails when answering your question just let me know, since I have that nasty habit sometimes.
@ii

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 10:20:04 pm »
I don't go to church for the sole reason that there will be lots other people working in faith and that degrades my faith in G-d. Sermon just makes me fall asleep, anyway.

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 10:21:19 pm »
Who tricked them into eating the apple?  Sorry to pester you dude its just been YEARS since ive had a convo. about this particular religion.

Correction: A CONSTRUCTIVE conversation about this religion.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 10:21:50 pm »
I don't go to church for the sole reason that there will be lots other people working in faith and that degrades my faith in G-d. Sermon just makes me fall asleep, anyway.
Can you go a little more in-depth on about this post?

Who tricked them into eating the apple?  Sorry to pester you dude its just been YEARS since ive had a convo. about this particular religion.

Satan.
@ii

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 10:23:35 pm »
Who tricked them into eating the apple?  Sorry to pester you dude its just been YEARS since ive had a convo. about this particular religion.

Correction: A CONSTRUCTIVE conversation about this religion.
It was Satan in the form of a serpent. He told them it would make them powerful like God, and therefore they ate it. Adam and Eve literally walked with God everyday in the garden...

Oh, and Gram: You should make sure you clarify that it was not an apple... it was an unidentified fruit.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 10:25:21 pm »
Didnt God feel the need to warn Adam and Eve about that pesky rapscallion named Satan?  Or did the two parties (adam,eve and God himself) not communicate... I wish i knew more about this religion because i know i sound dumb...Its not me being dumb just me being ignorant.