Author Topic: 100 Reasons Why Evolution is Stupid  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
Re: 100 Reasons Why Evolution is Stupid
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 08:08:51 pm »
I have drifted in my beliefs quite a bit.  But right now.  I do not believe in god.  Evolution happened.  I can see evolution happening in the natural world.

However, I am not totally on science's side.  The big bang?  Hm.  So you're saying that for no friggin reason, there is an explosion so large, that it creates millions and millions of planets and stars?  Stuff like that makes me think there is something up there.

My plan is that I am not going to worship anybody.  I don't intend to waste my life worshipping something that could potentially be fake.  I am going to wait till I die, and when I reach the afterlife, whatever it is, I will see which (if any) of the religious groups in the world was right.

I don't like religion for a couple of reasons.

1. It gives people too much power.
In the 1400's, 1500s, etc, Canada and the USA were coming into focus.  The christian churches were kicking native peoples off their land, which they lived upon their entire lives, stating that it is 'god's will'. ::)

2. Religion divides people.
You might religion unites people?  Wrong.  It may seem that way, but all it does is cluster people into even larger groups.  Protestants, Catholics, Buddism (spelling?), etc (can't really think of any others atm).  Over the last 1000 years, many of mankind's wars and conflicts were over religion/involved religion.  The holocaust, the war in Iraq right now, the crusades in the middle ages, etc.

3. Religion robs people of free thought.
I think that religion divides people and makes them put the "blinders" on, and makes them do what their religion wants them to do.  Christians will never look outside their little box, and actually consider evolution.  Scientists are sticking with their theories and will never think there to be a god.

4. Let's face it, some religions are silly.
"Silly" being the least I could say.  In christianity or example, you cannot have sex.  I don't understand why anyone would rob someone else of such a thing.  Now I would give more examples, but I don't know of any others cleary off the top of my head.  I don't wanna start talking about stuff that I know little about.

lol

*phew*

There's my 2 cents. ;)
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"

Offline Red_Dawn

• Major
  • C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 08:10:36 pm »
says the man with a ravioli signature...

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 08:27:12 pm »
I have drifted in my beliefs quite a bit.  But right now.  I do not believe in god.  Evolution happened.  I can see evolution happening in the natural world.

It's good to know that you're thinking critically and independently about these things.  However, keep in mind that evolution and god are not mutually exclusive -- it is entirely possible to have a planet in which a god set up life in such a way that evolution was the driving force behind changes.  Furthermore, while religion does have many of the detriments you mentioned, it isn't an entirely malevolent force: it provides social and moral support for growing children (and immature or socially inept adults), it teaches codes of morals and ethics (the other side of the coin, though, is that people hold the same morals and ethics even if they don't have religion in their life), it creates unity (if only within the small group of people who believe in it), and, if used properly, it can create very intelligent people (look at the Jews and what their intense study of the Torah has done to them).

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 09:18:32 pm »
Can anyone tell me a reasonable argument against evolution?  I mean... how can people not see it?
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 09:41:27 pm »
Some people choose to ignore it.

I don't know.  The human mind has many different ways of working.
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 09:46:28 pm »
Can anyone tell me a reasonable argument against evolution?  I mean... how can people not see it?

There aren't any.  That's why it's still taught.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 10:28:01 am »
If Evolution didn't exist then why did Steven Spielberg make 3 Jurasic Park films?

Beat that arguement!  :D
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 01:54:08 pm »
I forgot to thank you for that reply Vijchti, illuminating indeed.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 03:01:13 pm »
It's good to know that you're thinking critically and independently about these things.  However, keep in mind that evolution and god are not mutually exclusive -- it is entirely possible to have a planet in which a god set up life in such a way that evolution was the driving force behind changes.  Furthermore, while religion does have many of the detriments you mentioned, it isn't an entirely malevolent force: it provides social and moral support for growing children (and immature or socially inept adults), it teaches codes of morals and ethics (the other side of the coin, though, is that people hold the same morals and ethics even if they don't have religion in their life), it creates unity (if only within the small group of people who believe in it), and, if used properly, it can create very intelligent people (look at the Jews and what their intense study of the Torah has done to them).

Quite alot of Deists believe this so I'm told, it's one way that all of the things we see in science can also be compatible with a Deity.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Wormdundee

• Soldier
  • Ruger what?
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2007, 07:43:37 pm »
...In christianity or example, you cannot have sex.  I don't understand why anyone would rob someone else of such a thing...

Where did you come up with that one? Christianity doesn't say anything about not having sex. That would be pretty stupid, in fact, that would be the end of the human race right there. Christianity is against having sex outside of marriage. The reasoning behind this is that sex is a deeply emotional and almost spiritual kind of thing, and it forges strong bonds between any two people who share it. For something that special, would you not want it to be something that you could save for the one person that you will be with for the rest of your life after you get married? Y'know, unless the person you marry dies before you do.

You are of course free to have your own views on this, and I would like to hear them.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 01:40:08 pm »
I just found this: The Pope explaining the absurdity of the evolution vs. creationism debate.

I might not enjoy Catholicism much, but 1.1 billion people who have a spiritual leader that knows what scientific evidence is can't be all that bad.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 02:44:32 pm »
He further ridicules the results by saying that it was only 2%, but proving that any amino acids at all can be produced under such a process was astounding and shattered quite a few established ideas.

You know what the other 90% plus was? Tar.  They had to keep removing it, or else the amino acids would never have been created in the first place.  And that helps the idea that the creation of life requires intelligent intervention.

I made it to him saying Dinosaurs were 4500 years ago and i turned it off.

But that's only because you've been raised believing that they were millions of years old.  I was raised believing that dinosaurs are thousands of years old, so millions sounds absurd to me.  Especially when you consider sightings of strange creatures (the Loch Ness Monster is a key example), stories of sea monsters, medieval stories of dragons, and things like this:

And if you want to get into a radiocarbon dating debate, I'm ready for that as well.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2007, 02:58:45 pm »
LAW gamer dude... dont tell me why i didnt listen to something... k?  How do you know how i was raised?

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 03:13:29 pm »
LAW gamer dude... dont tell me why i didnt listen to something... k?  How do you know how i was raised?

Alright then, why did you turn it off when they said that dinosaurs were from 4500 years ago?
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 03:25:56 pm »
For 2 reasons... one of which was because i had to get ready to leave to go to the doctor... the other was because if your backing up an argument with quotes from a book of fiction then im not gonna listen.

My point wasnt that you were wrong about why i left i just dont like ya saying why i do what i do... ya know?  And i also dont like you saying i was raised to belive this or that...cuz ya just dont know... do ya?

And no i wasnt raised christian but i also wasnt raised atheist... and im currently neither.  I also dont belive what i was raised to belive because i find many flaws in what i was taught.  I am my own man...dumb?  yea probly...mindless drone that belives in fairytells and happy endings?  Nope...

Yea i know this wasnt the most brilliant post lol but im tired and i need sleep...

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2007, 03:44:42 pm »
He further ridicules the results by saying that it was only 2%, but proving that any amino acids at all can be produced under such a process was astounding and shattered quite a few established ideas.

You know what the other 90% plus was? Tar.  They had to keep removing it, or else the amino acids would never have been created in the first place.  And that helps the idea that the creation of life requires intelligent intervention.

You completely misunderstand the purpose of the experiment.  It wasn't to say, "Look, this is how life began."  They were just trying to show that amino acids can be produced in a natural environment, which is evidence that you don't need an intelligent creator, but just for this little bit of the journey.  Further experiments have continued to show overwhelming evidence that much of what we are can easily be created naturally.

I don't know why you doubt this stuff: it's science, not words in a book.  People do research, find evidence, then attempt to destroy their own theories by finding counter-evidence (usually, it's not the same people doing this).  Why do scientists strive to destroy theories?  As an altruistic explanation, because they're interested in truth, though it may be more honest to say that disproving established theories is where the money and fame is.  If you can do it, you get in the textbooks.

Then why isn't creationism in the textbooks, you say?  Because it hasn't destroyed evolution.  It doesn't even work as a theory on it's own.  It's not a conspiracy, it's just that Creationists usually don't make it past the peer review stage of submitting articles because they either have no evidence or don't evaluate it properly.  Though this is only when they try. They don't usually try these days, they just attempt to circumvent scientists by appealing directly to the uninformed and misinformed public, a.k.a. school boards.  If they can begin teaching Creationism in our schools, they know they can ensure that true science doesn't get into the textbooks.  Voila!  Instant success without having to go about the business of proving anything beyond, "It's in this book" (the irony of which is that most Christians know that evolution and God are not mutually exclusive).

Why don't educated people take Creationism seriously?  Because most of us know that it has surfaced in a number of forms over the years and each one has been proven a sham -- there is no science, only misinformation within Creationism (that's why so few Creationist arguments stand up to criticism).  Furthermore, Creationism has turned from an arena of science into an arena of politics -- they know they have no basis for their beliefs, so they instead attempt to sow distrust of scientists and their methods by winning the political leaders in this country.

Creationism may yet be true, but it has quite a job to do of looking at the overwhelming and redundant evidence for evolution and saying, "That's just god messing with your head to test whether you really worship him or not."

and things like this:

Wasn't that the decomposing shark they found in the 70's?  The discussion surrounding it went something like:
Creationists: "It's an ancient dinosaur, we have proof!"
Scientists: "Except that you don't really have any proof."
Creationists: "Yes, it has a long neck.  Therefore it is a dinosaur."
Scientists: "Yes, it has a long neck -- because it's decomposing and has been half-eaten."
Creationists: "Well, we're going to continue telling everyone it's a dinosaur anyway.  It's not like you scientists know anything..."

As for the Loch-Ness monster...bah, forget it.  This is a silly discussion.  I'm certainly not going to have it.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2007, 03:45:08 pm »
For 2 reasons... one of which was because i had to get ready to leave to go to the doctor... the other was because if your backing up an argument with quotes from a book of fiction then im not gonna listen.

(Assuming you're referring to the Bible) He's a CHRISTIAN.  What book do you think he's going to reference?

My point wasnt that you were wrong about why i left i just dont like ya saying why i do what i do... ya know?  And i also dont like you saying i was raised to belive this or that...cuz ya just dont know... do ya?

No, of course I wasn't 100% sure that you left because the dating seemed absurd, but you can probably agree that it was a logical assumption.
Gamer_2k4

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2007, 03:49:53 pm »

(Assuming you're referring to the Bible) He's a CHRISTIAN.  What book do you think he's going to reference?

He doesn't have to quote a book.  He believes God made the Earth and gave us the proof we need.  Why, then, doesn't he trust the evidence the Earth gives us?

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2007, 04:13:45 pm »

(Assuming you're referring to the Bible) He's a CHRISTIAN. What book do you think he's going to reference?

My point wasnt that you were wrong about why i left i just dont like ya saying why i do what i do... ya know? And i also dont like you saying i was raised to belive this or that...cuz ya just dont know... do ya?

No, of course I wasn't 100% sure that you left because the dating seemed absurd, but you can probably agree that it was a logical assumption.

I figured hed make an argument and then try and prove it... guess i was wrong.  You cant prove arguments with bible quotes.

Logical assumption?  Thats not logic.  That, my god fearing friend, isnt even close to logic.  So no i cant agree that it was a logical assumption.  I suppose if you bought the God story then its logical.  But if one was truley being logical then one would dismiss the god story altogether.... so no..... not logical.

Date Posted: July 26, 2007, 04:52:55 PM

(Assuming you're referring to the Bible) He's a CHRISTIAN. What book do you think he's going to reference?

He doesn't have to quote a book. He believes God made the Earth and gave us the proof we need. Why, then, doesn't he trust the evidence the Earth gives us?

lol i love this... brilliant!  trust the evidence the earth gives us... i gotta quit drinking so i can say something like that JUST ONCE!!!! lol

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2007, 05:02:20 pm »
You cannot dispute science.

People who dispute science forget the following things that science and the study of science has brought us:

Firstly, the computer and the internet which you're using to read this thread. Cars. Planes. Trains. Medical care. Electricity. Nuclear fusion. Fingerprinting. DNA. Cabon-dating (which proves that the Earth is billions of years old unlike the bible which says that it's only 6000 years old) Fossils. Geology. Chemistry. Quantum Mechanics. The understanding of everything we today currently know to be true. Psychology. Mathematics. Healthy diets. Do I need to go on???

Science is based on trial and error, experiments and observations which then lead to us creating theories which we then try to prove or disprove. Logic, reasoning.

Nowhere in any religious scripture and theology is there any mention of atomic particles, the dinosaurs, great cities housing millions of people, global warming, CD players or polythene food wrapping.

Look around you. Science has shaped every aspect of your lives and the way you live them. Thanks to science you can sit on your arse eating beans and playing soldat all day instead of going out hunting wild boars with primative weapons like spears and sharp rocks. And even the use of primative tools use came about by science. Trial and error is how we learn.

The only remotely semi-possitive thing I see that religion brings us is false hope. Hope of paradise, hope of reincarnation, hope that we will live in eternal peace in our afterlives.

How many people kill themselves and others in the name of God? How many wars have been fought not only because of differences in religion but also because the invading country or group or whatever believed that 'God' was on their side?

Evolution is common sense based on what we know. All arguements against it are based on just telling people who have already naively made up in their head that it's not true what they want to hear. In the video that was showed in the first post in this topic, I bet my life that that audience was exclusively Christian. It's a bit like having a football game where only one team and all of its fans turn up, the other team and its fans were never informed the game would take place. Does this mean the team that is present wins by default?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 05:04:26 pm by Mangled* »