Author Topic: M79 alteration  (Read 8963 times)

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
M79 alteration
« on: July 07, 2006, 03:42:09 pm »
ok... since everyone (well... everyone which hates the M79 in it's current state, which is a lot of people, it seems) is posting comments about how the M79 should be given a longer reload, or a firing delay etc etc.. I thought I'd try to come up with another suggestion. Please bear in mind that I'm not necessarily suggesting that this idea be implemented.. I'm just trying to add another angle on the discussions concerning the reformation of the M79.

Basically, I think it may be interesting if the initial velocity of the shot was increased, and then, say, 3/4 of the way through the arc, a small amount of drag was introduced to alter the angle. It would only be a small change in angle, but enough to make the M79 just slightly harder to hit with at medium distances.
  Good players who use the M79 should easily be able to adapt to this change, whereas newbies who use it for easy kills, (yes I said it, easy kills.. don't go there), would find it harder to use, thus trying out some other weapons, creating a more enjoyable experience for everyone... or at least that's the idea (isn't it always? 8)).
  The way I imagine it, the range of the shot would remain the same, but the arc would be changed to a slightly more deviant path.

Ok.. bring on the pain  ::)

Offline reckon

• Soldier
  • raccoon!
Re: M79 alteration
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 03:59:07 pm »
I like this idea.  A delay to me just seems moronic but having an altered arc would probably cut down the amount of m79ers, but I dont think it would have drastic results.
Im just gonna disagree on one thing, you said people hate the current state of the m79.
Well I feel the m79 itself is fine but most people do not like the over saturation of m79 users in the game lobbies.
Swing low, sweet chariot!

Offline DeMo

• Soldier
  • Stay Metal! \m/
    • Encoder 2002
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 04:03:30 pm »
Sorry, but no.. the M79 is fine.

I think there's something wrong with the american and european communities.
Here in Brazil our servers are perfectly balanced, we always have Barret, M79 and auto users.

<@Evil-Ville> Expect a picture of Chakra` holding his fleshlight soon!

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 04:10:29 pm »
Im just gonna disagree on one thing, you said people hate the current state of the m79.
Well I feel the m79 itself is fine but most people do not like the over saturation of m79 users in the game lobbies.

I see (and agree with) what you're saying, but I also occasionally see people say they hate the m79, and more often, people saying that they think it's a noob weapon, without saying anything about the number of people using it. Anyway... continue with the comments :)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 04:14:21 pm »
I agree to this idea, and have agreed to it for almost a year now.

We should make the m79 have a longer reload time, a 1/2 second startup time and make the shot have more of an arc and not go as far.
There are other worlds than these

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 04:21:29 pm »
Sorry, but no.. the M79 is fine.

I think there's something wrong with the majority of american and european communities.
Here in Brazil our servers are perfectly balanced, we always have Barret, M79 and auto users.

Don't speak for all of us, please.

The simple solution can often times be the best.  if people complain about dieing when they run up to an m79er (even if that is their fault...) then an increase in splash damage that would kill these up close threats might be in order.  Other than that I'd say people are digging too deep for an answer.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline Krillious

• Camper
  • If you were a hindu I could aim for the dot
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 04:27:13 pm »
But the problem with m79 is because of lame close range shots, this would just make it less popular who use the m79 well

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 04:34:51 pm »
Well... it actually wouldn't do anything concerning close range kills... as it stands, it's almost impossible to miss anyway.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 04:45:47 pm »
that does not solve the problem of super ultra kills from point blank to near point blank range.

just make any point blank shot a selfkill as well.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 04:52:18 pm »
People kill/selfkill all the time with the m79, especially on my poor self. Making it happen even more often probably isn't going to stop it from happening. You don't pick the m79 with the intention of killing yourself with a point blank shot. It just happens because someone gets close to you and the first thing you want to do is shoot them.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 10:09:51 pm »
People kill/selfkill all the time with the m79, especially on my poor self. Making it happen even more often probably isn't going to stop it from happening. You don't pick the m79 with the intention of killing yourself with a point blank shot. It just happens because someone gets close to you and the first thing you want to do is shoot them.

I agree, but the weapon does not have a high selfkill rate. Far too many just race on through after having the shot detonate in their face. That and the stupid bug of whatever where being a centimeter to inch from the shot -- otherwise effectively dodging it -- will still kill you needs to be fixed pronto.

Offline Nightcrawler

• Soldier
  • www.aussoldat.com
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 10:14:04 pm »
eeep! God no! Stomp this idea out of existence, kill it now! M79 is fine, what is it with people always trying to change guns that MM obviously approves of?
I rule.
IGN: vK:\\ Deadpool

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 10:31:08 pm »
It's all very well saying M79 is fine, but lots of people disagree. After all, you can't claim that as a fact. Just today I was in the u13 big server and I was getting raped left, right, and centre by a whole bunch of M79ers... I could barely even kill anyone. It was so ridiculous that I had to switch to M79 to prevent myself from being in the bottom 3 of about 20 players. Granted, having a lot of players in a server, you have to expect to die a lot, but this was serious overkill.
  There were at least 5 or 6 people complaining about all the M79 users, and of course, the usual insulting crotchknockers who tell them to stop whining about the M79. There's just no competition against a group of M79 users. It may be fine if there's 1 or 2, but not half the players in the game.
  I rarely get annoyed when playing, but today I was really seething.

I'm considering quitting Soldat, or at the very least, sticking to knife servers. It's gotten to be too much.

"M79 is fine". whatever.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 10:52:16 pm »
if you get blown away like you should from such range that would discorage use of the m79
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Nightcrawler

• Soldier
  • www.aussoldat.com
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 10:56:37 pm »
I'm considering quitting Soldat, or at the very least, sticking to knife servers. It's gotten to be too much.

"M79 is fine". whatever.

You're giving up Soldat because people you M79? Personally, i think that tells everyone about you're character. Just find another way to deal with it, i have found MP5 works very effectively against M79 if you can dodge their first shot.
I rule.
IGN: vK:\\ Deadpool

Offline Blues

• Camper
  • Hum?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 11:07:13 pm »
Acutally, anything is effective if you dodge the first shot. ::)
18:15

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 12:03:53 am »
Acutally, anything is effective if you dodge the first shot. ::)

Dodging M79 shots is easy if you're not running into the unknown like a headless chicken.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 12:34:49 am »
If you were where I was, you'd know what I was talking about. I tried EVERY other weapon, except minigun. It was totally pointless.

"M79 is fine". whatever.

You're giving up Soldat because people you M79? Personally, i think that tells everyone about you're character. Just find another way to deal with it, i have found MP5 works very effectively against M79 if you can dodge their first shot.

Did you even read what I said? Let me explain this carefully. When there are a lot of M79 users on a small-medium map, there is rarely any such thing as a 'first shot' from my point of view. There are so many explosions and players bouncing around everywhere, that it's impossible to see where the next shot is going to come from. Trying to dodge is completely pointless in this situation.

Don't lecture me on what my decisions say about me. The M79 is ruining my fun, and if I'm not having fun, I don't consider it worthwhile to play. So, what DOES that say about my character? That I like to have fun... that's pretty much it. Don't be so judgemental, especially since you have NO idea what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 12:44:47 am by -Vis- »

Offline MWTBDLTR

• Major
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 01:34:02 am »
It is very obivous that we need some type of alteration to the m79,  with hot much contraversy it causes, something has to happen.  when you are in a small map, the m79 tends to start causing a snowbal effect and more ppl start using it.  then before you know it your in a map where you dont like for any more than 5 seconds.  it is one of the most frutrating things ever.  my keyboard it now slightly broken due to this.  something has to be done
.:*OC*:. MWTBDLTR

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 01:48:45 am »
i have always liked the m79 because it was fun to use. you shoot and it has the bubble sound then BAMM and a body blows up. for me, m79ers are not a problem, i use hk or i use a long rang auto to combat them. just stay out of there 4 inch death circle. and believe me, if you had 6 auto users around you all the time you would be obliterated too....but anyways, no change in arc, no startup time. maybe longer reload(1/2 second increase tops). why no startup time? because then it would basically be a knife...i can see how it can get annoying, and it took me a long time to learn how to dodge it, one of the main reasons is it usually has more than one way to hit you, aim slightly above you, or aim way above you and have it hit ur skull, where as with autos this isnt as much of a problem. i used to be a very respectful m79 user, but then it wasnt where all the m79 users were suiciders and had no game experience. it was when you would have an auto shooting at your face and you had 1/4 of a second to aim and click otherwise you would most certainly die. but as with all weapons, when people have lower health they tend to grenade/m79 rush. or sometimes knife. but that is tactical and most users i see in pubs today are simple charging to try to get points, and not having fun with the game. all the best

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 02:16:50 am »
/\what he said./\

really, do you even understand how boring soldat would become if there would be less explosions?
And besides, if you out this in, barret will get popular again. And you fat nubbets will be at the starting point. ;D

Also ive investigated this and i found out that its way more efficient to use any auto (exept for minigun. (delay)) in a full deathmatch server rather than the m79.

1. is that you will have to be safe while you reload it.
2.the reload rate is long so you wont kill too fast.

on mp5 you can rape bunches of ppl without worrying about the above things. (reload fast, and fire rate deadly)

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2006, 02:40:13 am »
So, what DOES that say about my character? That I like to have fun... that's pretty much it.

It also says you give up too easily. 

If people keep griping about getting killed too much then this game will be bland and pointless.

Either way, the point has been made.  People know the m79 is a problem, so until there are any plans to change it or the weapons balance these discussions are boderline pointless when all it amounts to is "all those m79ers pick on me too much, I'm quitting".

:'(
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline Stalky

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2006, 04:31:55 am »
Ugh.

Please read the rules! I clearly stated here that any weapon related changes should be posted in Weapons Balance Discussion. It's just one topic, 5 minutes of reading.

Moved to Weapons Balance Discussion ::)

Offline DeMo

• Soldier
  • Stay Metal! \m/
    • Encoder 2002
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2006, 09:38:52 am »
There's just no competition against a group of M79 users.

I totally disagree.
Let's have a 5x5 clanwar.. one team using M79 and the other one using autos. There's no way the M79 team can win this with all the other team spraying your ass with their autos. The strategy is very simple.. 2 players on defense and 3 attacking (two go for the flag and the third one keeps spraying the base from a distance).

M79ers hate to be killed from a distance as much as you hate being killed by them at close range.
It's just a matter of learning to keep a distance and fire from there.
And if you wanna run like crazy just move your mouse to the edge of the screen... you can spot a coming M79er and then you'll have enough time (and space) to get ready and shoot him before your face is blown.

Look, it's been the same damn story with the Barret. You whiners hated it so much that you added delay, bink, startup time and movement decreases accuracy. Now you want to add the same sh*t to the M79 so people will stop using it. Everybody will switch to the Ruger.. and then you're gonna do what, delay the Ruger too? You're gonna screw all the weapons until the only playable ones left are the autos?

There are other things that need to be balanced/fixed.
Self-bink is a good example, it should affect the automatics but is completely useless, just press your fire button quickly and your shots go straight as a line and the crosshair never gets big.

<@Evil-Ville> Expect a picture of Chakra` holding his fleshlight soon!

Offline Cato269

• Camper
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2006, 10:31:30 am »
There's just no competition against a group of M79 users.

I totally disagree.
Let's have a 5x5 clanwar.. one team using M79 and the other one using autos. There's no way the M79 team can win this with all the other team spraying your ass with their autos. The strategy is very simple.. 2 players on defense and 3 attacking (two go for the flag and the third one keeps spraying the base from a distance).

M79ers hate to be killed from a distance as much as you hate being killed by them at close range.
It's just a matter of learning to keep a distance and fire from there.
And if you wanna run like crazy just move your mouse to the edge of the screen... you can spot a coming M79er and then you'll have enough time (and space) to get ready and shoot him before your face is blown.

Look, it's been the same damn story with the Barret. You whiners hated it so much that you added delay, bink, startup time and movement decreases accuracy. Now you want to add the same sh*t to the M79 so people will stop using it. Everybody will switch to the Ruger.. and then you're gonna do what, delay the Ruger too? You're gonna screw all the weapons until the only playable ones left are the autos?

There are other things that need to be balanced/fixed.
Self-bink is a good example, it should affect the automatics but is completely useless, just press your fire button quickly and your shots go straight as a line and the crosshair never gets big.

Ugh, a world of miniguns in other words >.>

5th_account

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2006, 11:27:59 am »

Aye!! Apparently MM didn't know exactly how selfbink works in other games. In Soldat selfbink is first activated on the 4th bullet, where in other games it comes right after the first one.

Offline Yoshi

• Major(1)
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 03:04:20 pm »
The M79 is perfect just the way it is. it's my standard gun i've been useing it since i found soldat years ago. admitedly it was at first the easy kill factor one could get with it. my aim was not so good and the facty you didnt have to have really good aim to get a hit with it made it a great weapon. we NEED a newbie weapon in the game something people can start withm not everyone who plays the game now found the game years ago you know. on the larger sized maps it's hard to be flooded by M79 shots i have been to DM servers that were full of users on a medium to small map and every single one of them was useing the m79 and it is kind of impossible to really play in such a circumstance. but outside of such an environment the weapon is FINE with no need to have any aspect of it changed.

Offline Cato269

• Camper
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 03:33:49 pm »
m79 is VERY balenced in my opinon.

If they miss me, i can kill em before they reload :)

thats my opinon.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 03:40:59 pm »

Except when you do dodge the shot and it still kills you.  >:( I dunno if that's a bug or lag that causes that, but it's really, really annoying. I'd agree that the M79 is balanced if the bugs or lag that causes the above and M79ers' ability to fire point blank without a selfkill weren't so prevailant in the game.

Offline Cato269

• Camper
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 06:06:41 pm »

Except when you do dodge the shot and it still kills you. >:( I dunno if that's a bug or lag that causes that, but it's really, really annoying. I'd agree that the M79 is balanced if the bugs or lag that causes the above and M79ers' ability to fire point blank without a selfkill weren't so prevailant in the game.

It's lag, and the point-blank shots is the key to getting rid of a m79. get close, and saw or punch, or stay right away.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2006, 10:46:49 pm »
It's more fun when the shot hits you but doesn't kill you, and propels you forward hehe.

Offline Cato269

• Camper
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2006, 03:03:10 am »
It's more fun when the shot hits you but doesn't kill you, and propels you forward hehe.

oh yea, one time in shau, i got shot from above while flying on the right side of the hill with the spikes, and the lag shock sent me into them, so either way i died :)