Author Topic: Prop Physics  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Prop Physics
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:18:00 pm »
Soldat should have the capability to make an object have physics, like boxes and such. If it is possible with bonus's and grenade and health crates, it shouldn't be too hard to make physics for simple boxes. Then you could have movable cover etc... Well I don't much when it comes to programming but it seems plausible.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 11:58:47 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: Physics
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:22:50 pm »
umm, what do you mean by 'physics'?

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 11:36:12 pm »
Yes it is a nice idea but the problem would be this: The barriers that actually get hit by the bullets (ie. to provide the cover) are not the boxes and barrels themselves. Instead it is a hit-target planted as part of the map where the map designer wanted (so not all boxes stop bullets). So to have moveable cover you would have to do some changes to the map code which is never gonna happen.

The other option would be to make a new object that acts like grenade boxes and stuff but stops bullets too. The object would have to be big enough to cover a soldat otherwise it wouldn't work. The problem there is, how do you move the cover? If it gets moved by you shooting it then it wouldn't work as cover because as soon as someone shot at your cover it would fly away.

Can't really happen so not much point supporting (It wouldn't be that great anyway).
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 11:58:10 pm »
It would still work as cover and just think, if there was some sort of physics implimented...I'll get to this in a bit. I know what you mean you talk about making colliding boxes and terrain, but it wouldn't be that hard just to make one object seperate from the coliders and such just for this purpose. I mean, wouldn't it be fun just to push boxes around?

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: Prop Physics
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 01:05:10 am »
It would still work as cover and just think, if there was some sort of physics implimented...I'll get to this in a bit. I know what you mean you talk about making colliding boxes and terrain, but it wouldn't be that hard just to make one object seperate from the coliders and such just for this purpose. I mean, wouldn't it be fun just to push boxes around?
While it would be fun I cant see much use for it. Except maybe in a teamwork map... or pushing boulders on people. And also I think it would take a lot to program in so I dont see this coming.

Offline Avis

• Camper
  • Aufmachen, Gestapo
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 08:21:28 am »
It would cause more lag, but you could, for instance, make use of it in many ways...
- A small ball -> play Soccer or whatever :D
- Box/Barrel/Piano -> Push it until it falls off the poly, down to that enemy who stands on an underneath poly and watch how he gets crunched by it  ;D
- Move your cover -> Push the barrel towards your enemy, will offer new strategies.
BANG! 5:45 o' clock. It's the police raiding your home, blackmailing you.

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 08:34:25 am »
It would really be cool to have it, su I totally support, but I don't think we will ever see this.

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 01:08:48 pm »
It really would lag, besides, I'm pretty sure that Michal spoke against this, somewhere.

But it would be awesome. Like, I'd be able to push a medikit off a cliff to friendlies...

Or form a line of boxes in front of me.

The major problem is: moving colliders that react to their surroundings.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline Daimarus

• Soldier
  • Believe me, I can kill you with my Spas...
    • SC forums
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 03:31:54 pm »
This would be very hard to do, but that is the most realistic thing in many games...

Moving things would be really cool ;)
My SPAS-12 doesn't like most of people. He can mistakenly shoot your brain out of your head and splash it on the nearest wall.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 06:19:31 pm »
You would have to remake all the existing maps then. The map format does not support something like this, which was already covered in The Official Suggestion Sticky's Don't-Suggest section... :-X lol, sorry man.

If it was remotely possible, I think it could be kinda cool, but there would be the problem of shot boxes getting into pits and being rendered useless, and also what happens to the fun for people who joined a server halfway through a match where everything has already been used up, etc.... there are just a lot of problems with the idea and although it has seeming potential, many see it as an illusory, dreamful idea.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:21:45 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline LeetFidle

• Camper
  • Poop!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 08:22:53 pm »
or the for open source we could just change what the medkits or nades do and just change the use of it and make it unpickupable(not a word)
Holy Poop!

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 03:01:57 am »
Humm yes I do see the problems that would arise from this. It doesn't mean every prop would have to have this physics though, just a couple designated things. Also, you wouldn't have to remake really any maps and if you really wanted these types of "physics props" in the level you were playing, you could easily just go, get the designated map maker and add them yourself.

It really would lag, besides, I'm pretty sure that Michal spoke against this, somewhere.

But it would be awesome. Like, I'd be able to push a medikit off a cliff to friendlies...

Or form a line of boxes in front of me.

The major problem is: moving colliders that react to their surroundings.

Another thing. If there were only several props with this physics in a map, it wouldn't increase lag too bad but I would understand if there were a lot of these props or if there were coliding issues with prop against prop. Well, this is pretty far off, but if there were breakable ropes combined with these props, you could have a box hang from a rope on a ceiling, shoot the rope and have the box fall (or piano etc). But yes, I understand that that would have a lot of problems and issues that would make this sort of thing impossible.

This probably has been brought up before, but I thought I would just bring it up for the heck of it. I always thought it would be cool to somehow make traps and tripwires, then make a haunted house map of something like that with a buncha traps and opening trap doors and crap.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 03:05:51 am by Blacksheepboy »