Author Topic: Grenades and You  (Read 3625 times)

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Grenades and You
« on: July 29, 2007, 09:01:53 pm »
I noticed something very important about soldat recently, the guys have no inertia, you can stop a person with only a few bullets and effectively control what they do, if you get caught midair you have no way of maneuvering to dodge bullets. The idea is just make it less easy for bullets to control your movements.

Has anyone noticed how much grenades bounce? they jump up like they are made out of rubber, about twice the height of a soldat.

normally i don't care too much about realism, but it looks like shit, that and you can go under the grenade when it bounces.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Maryleaf

• Camper
  • Xfire: Maryleaf
    • {AAC} Attack and Control
Re: Grenades and You
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 09:08:22 pm »
True, but Halo 2 isnt realistic and is bad as hell. Even though its nades dont bounce high. But yeah.
{AAC} Attack and Conquer
Where People are Soldiers
http://Http://www.teamaac.co.nr

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 09:58:17 pm »
I noticed something very important about soldat recently, the guys have no inertia, you can stop a person with only a few bullets and effectively control what they do, if you get caught midair you have no way of maneuvering to dodge bullets. The idea is just make it less easy for bullets to control your movements.

Has anyone noticed how much grenades bounce? they jump up like they are made out of rubber, about twice the height of a soldat.

normally i don't care too much about realism, but it looks like ****, that and you can go under the grenade when it bounces.
These "rubber-nades" are good for sneak attacks, and fun to use,
I also think that the faster you go or if you throw a nade just right, it goes faster and farther.

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 10:55:21 pm »
This is soldat. Part of the charm is that things like this happen. Besides, if we couldn't slow people down then PH34R boogieman! Besides, realism? In reality a bullet would throw you back even more than the slowing down it does in soldat.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 04:40:30 am »
In reality a bullet would throw you back even more than the slowing down it does in soldat.

Technecly no.
You wouldn't be blown back very far or at all. Because your body is such a big mass and the bullet is small in mass there isn't enough surface area of the bullet to propell you in any way. So you would just die.
Mythbusters FTW
Lol, internets.

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 06:25:53 am »
Mythbusters FTW

Love that show.

I think the nades are fine, it just depends on your dodging skills to avoid them.

"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 08:09:20 am »
Soldat front page
Most important features:
Game environment based on real physics rules

And Pie is right, Hiro what planet are you on?

I think it is really stupid how you lose all your momentum because of some bullets.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 08:48:19 am »
Soldat front page
Most important features:

I think it is really stupid how you lose all your momentum because of some bullets.
Wouldnt it happen in real life? Do people run around with weapons in fancy environments w/ jets attached to their boots  shooting eachother?

wtf, ppl go play CS plx ;_;:
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 09:01:10 am »
The 'rubber nades' are part of the tactics and fun, why remove them? You've been here for long enough to know that Soldat doesn't and shouldn't strive to be realistic.

As much as I like using the saw, I really don't think the bullet pushing effect  needs any removing/nurfing. It'll remove an edge that autos have that shouldn't be taken away, especially now that the semis have been buffed in 1.4.1 (if I remember correctly).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 09:08:20 am by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 09:20:47 am »
Soldat front page
Most important features:

Wouldnt it happen in real life? Do people run around with weapons in fancy environments w/ jets attached to their boots  shooting eachother?

wtf, ppl go play CS plx ;_;:
the physics not weapons, not boots Physics.

I already said that realism isn't a priority, it just looks really really bad, like some kind of freakishly rediculous fantasy land.

Bullet pushing effect is probably the worst idea ever created, your player should never be out of your control.

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 09:35:35 am »
This is soldat. Part of the charm is that things like this happen. Besides, if we couldn't slow people down then PH34R boogieman! Besides, realism? In reality a bullet would throw you back even more than the slowing down it does in soldat.

Actually, bullets barely move a person. Ever seen the Mythbusters episode where they busted the myth of the Hollywood bullet? Even a .44 mag round barely moved the pig they had set up. The thing that makes a person slow down/move is the pain.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 09:37:29 am »

Bullet pushing effect is probably the worst idea ever created, your player should never be out of your control.

Isn't that quite an overstatement? It's just getting slowed down or in some cases pushed back a bit. It doesn't render you "out of control".
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 09:41:46 am by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 09:47:53 am »

Isn't that quite an overstatement? It's just getting slowed down or in some cases pushed back a bit. It doesn't render you "out of control".
you can't maneuver, you do not have control.

1.2.1 was way better.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 12:57:13 pm »

Actually, bullets barely move a person. Ever seen the Mythbusters episode where they busted the myth of the Hollywood bullet? Even a .44 mag round barely moved the pig they had set up. The thing that makes a person slow down/move is the pain.
If the pig was shot like over 6 rounds per second, I'd say it would move a bit.

Shooter should move backwards for the same amount of enery as the victim. Soldat should jump max. around half of it's size. There should be no jets. Barrett should be semi-auto. LAW can not be reloaded. blah blah blah.

It can be working techique to boost your teammates. Involves more teamwork.You can not kill EFC with spas, beacuse it bootst EFC too much. You can stop enemies with Spas. Got a problem?
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Iq Unlimited

• Flagrunner
  • mr. foobar2000
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 01:03:30 pm »

LOL. That statement by itsself is funny.

Anyways, I'd say whats slowing down is the fact that Soldat isnt extremely realistic. Stop arguing to make it seem more realistic then it is.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 01:05:39 pm »
I agree that some of the physics are way too "out there" to fall under "real physics rules." When an object that is in motion meets resistance, in reality,unless it has uncanny elastisity, it does not bounce back twice the hight of the person throwing it. It needs to be tweeked.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline andrelie

• Camper
  • Im sorry for the spamming...
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 03:39:56 pm »
i would say the nades should bounce like 1/3 of the soldier, not that they should fall on the ground and stay there but have a "mini" bounce.
Im sorry for the spamming...

Offline Spacewing

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 04:03:30 pm »
Rubber nades are funny, especially when you throw them into a polybug ;P

Offline andrelie

• Camper
  • Im sorry for the spamming...
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 06:30:14 pm »
or make overpoly (dont remember which poly) and make a nuke nade!
Im sorry for the spamming...

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 07:51:23 am »

Shooter should move backwards for the same amount of enery as the victim.

I'd just like to point out that when a bullet impacts a person, there isn't a second explosion. Well, in most cases. (incendiary bullets?!) ;)