Author Topic: Question about hardware  (Read 1586 times)

Offline {[MS]}Pyro

• Major(1)
Question about hardware
« on: July 30, 2007, 05:15:14 pm »
I have many spare low-end computers. I thought that i could use one purely for soldat server.
Setup would be:
Celeron 433MHz (66x6.5, L2 128KB)
256MB SDRAM
HDD 2-3GB old quantum fireball or smth like that (fine?)
Int. video, sound n other...

I just want a confirmation that when my server is lagging, its not a hardware problem... Will this setup run PERFECTLY about 12 persons + buffer? I have read manual and min. requirement.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:29:33 pm by {[MS]}Pyro »

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
Re: Question about hardware
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 05:51:17 pm »
I think it will. Though, better hardware is always ebtter, but if you compare that to some Dual Xeon machine, you will not really see any difference if you dont directly compare them against each other. You can not tell if the server is running on slow or fast machine.

Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline {[MS]}Pyro

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 02:06:19 pm »
Ok. Now the only board that my cel433 had to fit (socket 1), didnt fit at all... some capacitors got in the way... anyway, celeron 330 fits nicely.
but will a celeron 330mhz (66x5) have no problem running full 12 slot server with irc bots, loads of scripts n more ?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 02:21:13 pm »
it should be able to handle one server under 16 slots just fine, even if you have a lot of scripts and stuff

Offline truup

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 03:23:36 pm »
I guess it's more up to the memory?

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 03:26:25 pm »
I guess it's more up to the memory?
Not in this case. 256MB is way enough for Soldatserver. Server is taking something like 30MB or less.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 03:40:14 pm »
It's up to the upload speed of the internet connection you'll give it. And with 2-3 GB of hdd you'll have to install a light OS if you want to get a decent amount of free space.

Offline {[MS]}Pyro

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 06:37:57 pm »
Well, since i have no spare monitor, keyboard or mouse in the house - i have to use remote admin (radmin), when everything is installed ofc.

And for radmin server i need windows xp or 2000 (hate it).
I have a way to strip xp under 1gb and take less than 80mb ram. Magic word is nlite. Have used nlite on every xp install ive made and im suprduprhappy with it.

Anyway, thats not gonna be an issue. Even when im running out of hdd, i can go to my scrapyard (attic to be precise) and get another 2-3GB drive...

And bandwidth is not an issue eighter. U might think so cuz this is going to be a home server, but...
I flashed my buffalo router with dd-wrt firmware and i can use QoS now.
Now even when im seriosly harassing my connection with p2p, soldat server is ok.
Cuz game/join ports have maximum bandwidth priority (and files port medium priority - cuz i dont want to see any lag spikes, if u know what i mean)
And p2p priority is set to lowest.

Not so good screenshot - link
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 06:40:53 pm by {[MS]}Pyro »

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 06:43:20 pm »
I get what you mean  :)

But I'd suggest installing a command-line version of GNU/Linux Ubuntu which can be controlled through shh (piece of cake). This will make your servers more stable and 'robust', as well as using less space (Around 400 mb~ I believe, not sure about the RAM).

Offline {[MS]}Pyro

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 06:47:09 pm »
uff, i remember ssh. Im not very linux-friendly tho...

But what do u mean by more stable and robust? Compared to xp ofc which has like 6 services running, 10 processes and about 70mb ram in use.

edit:
ok i nlited the xp and put it on that little pc.
few installs and now have full control with graphical user interface (GUI) over a white box that is humming in the corner and which has only power and network cable attached.
i am so clever  :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 12:38:39 am by {[MS]}Pyro »