Author Topic: RAID card? Pft!  (Read 2239 times)

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
RAID card? Pft!
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:43:30 pm »
Ok, so I installed Ubuntu.  I tried booting it, and I got a message: No RAID card.

What is a RAID card, why do I need it, why don't I have it, and how can I get it?
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: RAID card? Pft!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 11:50:21 pm »
A RAID card is usually a pci card that is usually used to add RAID functionality to a motherboard that does not include it natively.

You might be getting that message because the settings in your bios could be somewhat misconfigured, or you might have changed the hard drives in your computer, or the boot loader is misconfigured and doesn't know what to boot to.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 11:54:00 pm by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 06:32:43 am »
Ubuntu obviously thinks your computer sucks and you need better more advanced equipment. It also feels it will make make you a better person because of it.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:50:30 am »
Why do people like ubuntu and linux? I know it's free, but it seems to me it's not worth the hassle with all the compatibility issues that come with it.

Nerds use windows
Total geeks use linux
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 10:40:26 am »
Why do people like ubuntu and linux? I know it's free, but it seems to me it's not worth the hassle with all the compatibility issues that come with it.

Compatibility issues?  There's the OpenOffice suite for spreadsheets, word processing, etc., VLC for video, Firefox for browsing, Thunderbird for email, and Wine for anything Windows.  You get all of the function with none of the bloat.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Offline NK Soldier

• Major(1)
  • All Hail the president of Iran!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 11:19:17 am »
I can tell you one thing.. {LAW} Gamer_2k4, your better off with linux than Windows Vista.. Smart move.
Remember, its all fun and games 'till someone gets hurt.. then its hilarious.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 12:15:21 pm »
XP > Ubuntu > Vista > Mac OS  ;D
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 12:15:51 pm »
The fact that it says RAID card is nothing special... it is just saying "I didn't find a RAID card."

It might as well have said "I didn't find a GPS system or a Porsche parked in your driveway"

I have a feeling what you saw is it saying "No RAID devices found" which is different than "No RAID card" but just the same it can be ignored.  This is just an example of Linux being more verbose than Windows and actually telling you stuff rather than keeping everything behind the scenes and not letting you know anything at all

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 12:27:21 pm »
This is just an example of Linux being more verbose than Windows and actually telling you stuff rather than keeping everything behind the scenes and not letting you know anything at all
Hah I knew you couldn't hold back! Thank you. You just made my day.
@ii

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 01:17:36 pm »
Alright, I got around the RAID card thing by reinstalling Ubuntu.  At first, everything seemed fine; the loading screen looked good and everything.  Finally, the bar hit 100 and my screen went blank.  There was a nifty little drum sound, and I kind of waited to see what would happen.  Nothing did.  So, I typed my name, hit tab, and typed my password, and hit enter.  Hey, a new sound!  Of course, the screen still stayed black.  I turned off the screen and turned it back on, and there was a bunch of grey and black garbage on the screen.  I could see the cursor, but basically nothing else.  Is this a video card issue?
Gamer_2k4

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 01:22:29 pm »
Alright, I got around the RAID card thing by reinstalling Ubuntu.  At first, everything seemed fine; the loading screen looked good and everything.  Finally, the bar hit 100 and my screen went blank.  There was a nifty little drum sound, and I kind of waited to see what would happen.  Nothing did.  So, I typed my name, hit tab, and typed my password, and hit enter.  Hey, a new sound!  Of course, the screen still stayed black.  I turned off the screen and turned it back on, and there was a bunch of grey and black garbage on the screen.  I could see the cursor, but basically nothing else.  Is this a video card issue?

Most likely it's a video card driver problem.

If you can get to a command line (Console Login) then you can fix the problem easily. What kind of video card do you have? You may need to use the restricted and unsupported drivers that aren't enabled by default.
There are other worlds than these

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 02:19:29 pm »

Do you have multiple outputs on your video card?  Try using the other one

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 06:11:09 pm »
I have an ATI Mobility Radeon X700, I believe.  It uses OpenGL (ATI Mobility FireGL V5000) and has 128MB.

Date Posted: July 31, 2007, 06:09:11 PM
Also, I have DirectX 9.0c.
Gamer_2k4

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 06:34:15 pm »

Offline Major .:Noob:.

• Major
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 06:47:58 pm »
Also, I have DirectX 9.0c.

lol

That quote made my day, thanks xD.

Anyway, I run a dual-boot pc with Ubuntu and XP on it, and to be honest, if it wasn't for games I'd just switch right to Ubuntu. Has everything XP can have but better, and free. -_-.

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 06:27:11 am »
Anyway, I run a dual-boot pc with Ubuntu and XP on it, and to be honest, if it wasn't for games I'd just switch right to Ubuntu. Has everything XP can have but better, and free. -_-.

The only problem with linux is lack of software. So...
Get On It Boy!