Author Topic: M79 tips  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
M79 tips
« on: August 03, 2007, 03:53:41 pm »
I know some people hate the m79, well I am here to educate the average/annoying m79er into a m79er that people can play with and actually have fun.

First of all: No suicide runs! This is a huge reason why people hate the m79ers,  some random idiot runs smack into an enemy and kills them both, very
annoying. Now that being said not all the time that is on purpose. Soldat is a fast game, sometimes people just get really close and this happens. And like any other gun, attacking from above an enemy is usually the best position.

Now onto the good stuff.
Secondaries:
Don't bother with any secondary that isn't a socom. That means use a socom... unless you are just naturally gifted with some other secondary. Socom is the best since not all m79 shots will kill a victim and getting a few shots in with the socom can usually finish the job.

M79er vs Auto:
Duck and cover is the name of the game. They can rapid fire all around you so use the polygons to your advantage, stay close to corners and ledges to block their fire. Now never ever... ever let yourself run out of jets when going one on one with an auto, that is prime time for you to get  sprayed into oblivion. Also try to fire at them when cover is around, since most autos can unload more then enough bullets to kill you before you get done reloading. An autos range is far better then a m79s, so running back to base, tail between legs, is not always the best option. All an auto has to do then is just spray a magazine into the air and let the bullets rain down as you die one pixel away from the medkit.. sad I know. This is where you really want that socom as a secondary. Since its best to be defensive in this position your shots might not be as accurate as usual. Therefor you may only hurt them with splash damage, if enough splash damage is done then jumping out with a socom and spraying a bit yourself if the best way to go. Now all that was for one on one, with a group of autos... you are most likely not going to survive, just try to take as many out with you, nades are key for this position. Course that one is just my opinion.

M79er vs Semi-auto:
Deagles, ruger, and spas, believe that's all of them.
Deagles, treat like and auto, but not so defensive. An attack from above should help out in decreasing the enemies accuracy since it has a nice arc.

Ruger, I say get in real close with these guys, their range is second best in the game so they can be tough to get near. Getting close to a ruger and dodging their shots are the same tactic, fooling the enemy. Be very unpredictable with your movements, jump and roll for no reason. Backflips are very nice dodging move, most people think you will continue to jet if you do a backflip and will aim a little forward and shoot fast since its a very vulnerable position. This tactic is hard to pull off with the ruger since the gun has 4 very fast, very powerful shots, however it seems to be the most effective since you most rugers like to stay out of range and pick m79ers off.

Spas, not much to killing someone with a spas. You have a better range then them, try to pick them off. Don't get close to them, spas has a very mean bite.

M79 vs Barrett:
The only position that is worse is spas vs barrett(Believe me I have been there). Now the goal here is to fool the enemy just like with the ruger, however once you dodge one shot, take your time. You have a few seconds to make sure your shot is perfect.

Tunnels:
M79 in tunnels? Aye! You can't just spray down a tunnel and kill anyone with ricochets like an auto. However you can use ricochets to your liking, most people think you cannot reach them in low/short tunnels since you can't arc your shot up, however  learn to use the ricochets and you can be effective enough to hold your ground. Now in larger tunnels you can use your arc to hide behind a small hill and fire off your shot. However I recommend to always stay moving in tunnels and keep some jet fuel handy, backflips and jets at the right time can be key in such a close area. Again try to get above your enemy, this is still the best position. My person favorite tunnel is the tunnel in CTF_Run.

The Explosion:
The m79 is only good for killing right? Wrong! The explosion can be used for many things. Got a sniper at the other teams base that you can't get too? Why not push them out of their spot? Keep out of their range of fire(coming from below is the only way to do this really)  and shoot the polygon they are standing on, if the polygon is thin enough they will be pushed out off in any direction and the will take some damage, giving you time to toss some nades/grab a flag/occupy the sniper until teammates come and get the flag.
Trying to help the flagger get to your base? Fire a shot a little behind him and to give him a boost, I don't recommend doing this too much, since you don't always know which angle the flagger will be shot off too. No need to slam your flagger into a polygon.
Got a enemy flag carrier running to their base? This is where alot of m79ers screw up and piss people off(same goes for you spasers too) they shoot the flagger in the back, which can give the flagger a big boost towards their base. Instead shoot infront of the flagger and stop him dead in his tracks(maybe even push him back a little).  This tactic is great when you have a few autos running after the flagger as well.  If the flagger gets past all your defenses and get to their base, usually they will try to drop into their flag, in which case you shoot at their flag, this of course will push them away from their flag. If it doesn't kill them, then you have hurt them and given a little time for your teammates to catch up or time for you to take out the flagger with that handy socom. The flagger idea can be turn around and used as a defense idea  against autos. Instead of keeping an enemy from running away you can use this keep an enemy from chasing you, also good for taking the flag back to your base.

For now thats it, if I remember anything else or someone needs advice on something I'll edit it in.

Remember this is all advice I came up with through my experience as an m79er, this will not work for everyone, each player has their own style of playing.
@ii

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
Re: M79 tips
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 03:57:21 pm »
Here's a simplified version on how to use the M79 well:
Point and click (that's really all there's to it)
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 03:59:33 pm »
Good tutorial. I haven't completely read it, but your writing is easy to read and the content is true and helpful.

Now I feel like making a tutorial again, I just don't know on what topic. Ah well.

Edit:

You, sir, are a stupid dipshit. Let's do a fucking M79 1vs1 and I guess that you'll have to shut the fuck up afterwards.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 04:00:43 pm »
Actually your are right, however thats what you do for every single weapon in the game. I doubt you close your eyes and throw your mouse at the wall to kill someone with an auto
@ii

Offline who flung poo

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 04:03:11 pm »
i dont mean to sound like a jerk, but everything here (except for avoiding suicide runs and the arc of the round) can be taught with a lil by-yourself-practice really
Realistic mode only baby. (;

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 08:49:34 pm »
Good tutorial. I haven't completely read it, but your writing is easy to read and the content is true and helpful.

Well practise is the secret of mastering any weapon.
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 09:09:15 pm »
Beautiful, maybe now people will stop complaining for the more part.

Offline xurich

• Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 09:23:31 pm »
I doubt you close your eyes and throw your mouse at the wall to kill someone with an auto

You'd be surprised how often that works.

Decent tutorial. Beginners especially will find it useful.

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 02:07:52 am »
Yes very nice tutorial Onegram :)

Offline nuclearrambo

• Major
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 03:06:52 am »
:) i am a m79er too. When i play on no realstic servers pple say that i suck the most because i use m79. I play on hexer servers too and i am hihg level there, pple say that m79 is not for teh Pros. What should i do? just suck it or do anythin?

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 08:29:51 am »
:) i am a m79er too. When i play on no realstic servers pple say that i suck the most because i use m79. I play on hexer servers too and i am hihg level there, pple say that m79 is not for teh Pros. What should i do? just suck it or do anythin?
Well man if don't want to deal with the flack m79s is getting now you could start using another gun, but I say just stick it out. Try to play as respectfully as possible (no spawn killing, no suicide runs, no kill stealing), be polite to your other players(don't call anyone noob or whine about lag) and if people still whine then... they  just have a chip on their shoulder.
@ii