Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 39505 times)

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
Re: Abortion
« Reply #260 on: August 08, 2007, 06:12:47 am »
We aren't endangered...yet

That's how you anti abortionists respond to any argument that we say. You always find something to cling onto. And, Gamer, you seem like an intellligent person and I respect you for that, but you suck when it comes to abortions :P

From that pro choice blog (quote from some guy in comments)
I’m pro-choice because I’ve watched a woman giving birth twice, and who the fuck am I, as a guy, to tell any woman she has to go through that when she doesn’t want to?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 06:21:00 am by Will »

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #261 on: August 08, 2007, 07:45:55 am »
I'm pro-life because I've talked to people who would have been aborted, and who the fuck am I, as a person to tell anyone they shouldn't live?
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #262 on: August 08, 2007, 09:42:24 am »
I understand that the fact that you value the life of the fetus is your main argument against abortion. But the very first thing you said in response to me was "Aside from that, if you're going to have sex (the evolutionary goal of which is to produce offspring), you'd better be prepared for the consequences." That's your anti-sex bias showing. It's not your place to tell people what the consequences should be for doing things you disagree with. And since it only applies to women, it makes you look like you don't like women very much.

It's not an anti-sex bias any more than "If you use electricity, you'd better be prepared to pay the bill" is an anti-electricity bias.  I'm not just pulling the consequences (read: repercussions, not punishment) out of the air either.  For eons sex has resulted in pregnancy, and subsequent birth.  That's not something I made up, and I'm not putting myself in any sort of authority position by telling people that.

And since pregnancy only applies to women, it's not fair to say that I dislike women, because there's nothing to base it against.  If both men and women could get pregnant, and I said, "Men can get abortions but women can't," THAT would be a dislike of women.  I just think that each parent should do their part.  Men, for example, should stick around and support the mother and baby.  You know what? That takes away a huge part of their life.  That doesn't mean I hate men.

Pregnancy may be gender-specific, but there's a lot more to having a baby than just the pregnancy.  I believe that both partners should share the responsibility for the child; women just happen to have to give birth.  This is completely natural, and has no bearing on the nature of accountability.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline RabidTreeFrog

• Camper
« Reply #263 on: August 08, 2007, 10:03:19 am »
It's interesting that abortion and teen pregnancy rates are lower in countries where abortion is legal, people have access to birth control and comprehensive sex education, and sex is considered normal.

Another part of the abortion issue is the kind of sex education teens get. It's mostly abstinence based, with no information on how to have "safe sex." Abstinence doesn't help after a 15 year old's condom broke and the girl is douching with Coca-cola.
not around

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #264 on: August 08, 2007, 10:08:53 am »
Another part of the abortion issue is the kind of sex education teens get. It's mostly abstinence based, with no information on how to have "safe sex." Abstinence doesn't help after a 15 year old's condom broke and the girl is douching with Coca-cola.

I don't know how they did it at your school, but at mine, we learned about the different contraceptives, then were told (and factually so) that abstinence was the only guaranteed way of preventing pregnancies.  That's doesn't make it an abstinence based approach.

Also, teaching safe sex methods to 14 year olds really seems like condoning pregnancy.  It's like telling people how to break into a building without damaging anything.  And before anyone says "Ha, there you go again, Gamer.  You're comparing sex to an illegal activity," you need to remember that sex among minors IS illegal.  Abstinence SHOULD be taught, at least in high school, because any other action on the part of a teenager is wrong, both morally AND legally.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:13:49 am by {LAW} Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Offline RabidTreeFrog

• Camper
« Reply #265 on: August 08, 2007, 10:16:01 am »

I don't know how they did it at your school, but at mine, we learned about the different contraceptives, then were told (and factually so) that abstinence was the only guaranteed way of preventing pregnancies.  That's doesn't make it an abstinence based approach.

Hah, contraceptives? Schools around here don't teach you about contraceptives. They go for the "shock" approach. Tell you that sex is bad and will cause AIDS, pregnancy, guarenteed, and drop it. They don't mention birth control, or any other contraceptive. They mentioned condoms once, they said that one in two are defective.
not around

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #266 on: August 08, 2007, 10:20:44 am »
Hah, contraceptives? Schools around here don't teach you about contraceptives. They go for the "shock" approach. Tell you that sex is bad and will cause AIDS, pregnancy, guarenteed, and drop it. They don't mention birth control, or any other contraceptive. They mentioned condoms once, they said that one in two are defective.

Hmm.  I must have had a good school then.
Gamer_2k4

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #267 on: August 08, 2007, 10:29:56 am »

Catholic school?

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline RabidTreeFrog

• Camper
« Reply #268 on: August 08, 2007, 10:53:37 am »

Catholic school?

Nope, public.
not around

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
« Reply #269 on: August 08, 2007, 11:06:07 am »
Before I started reading about feminism I had a different argument for abortion.

Unwanted pregnancy, birth, and childcare causes more suffering to the woman than abortion.
Being born, living life, and dying causes more suffering to the child than it would to die in the womb, before it has any concept of suffering.
Therefore abortion is a better choice for unwanted pregnancy because not having an abortion leads to more suffering than having one.

I still think this is true but I don't think the calculation of suffering is really defensible.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #270 on: August 08, 2007, 11:13:55 am »
Unwanted pregnancy, birth, and childcare causes more suffering to the woman than abortion.

Not necessarily true.  Many women suffer emotionally after having an abortion.

Being born, living life, and dying causes more suffering to the child than it would to die in the womb, before it has any concept of suffering.

That's just stating the obvious.  Should we abort every baby and end suffering on earth?
Gamer_2k4

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
« Reply #271 on: August 08, 2007, 11:50:07 am »

Not necessarily true.  Many women suffer emotionally after having an abortion.

Not as much as what they would suffer from being forced to give birth.

That's just stating the obvious.  Should we abort every baby and end suffering on earth?

Only the unwanted ones.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2007, 03:34:25 pm »

You are a fucking idiot.

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #273 on: August 08, 2007, 03:42:05 pm »

You are a ****ing idiot.

Seconded.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline reckon

• Soldier
  • raccoon!
« Reply #274 on: August 08, 2007, 04:44:47 pm »
Didnt read this thread, Im sure there were many ignorant rants and rebuttals.
I dont feel like commenting, but to ANYONE who is pro-life, watch this please:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk6t_tdOkwo
Take 7 minutes out of you life to watch religious pro-lifers get owned.
Swing low, sweet chariot!

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #275 on: August 08, 2007, 07:31:18 pm »
Take 7 minutes out of you life to watch religious pro-lifers get owned.

Did those seven people make up the entire protest? If not, what percentage of the protesters did they make up? And what did the others say?

The video doesn't provide any context, and therefore should not be considered a credible source.
Gamer_2k4