Poll

Should the fetus be implanted into the man's body against his will, forcing the man to use his body to incubate the fetus?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Abortion: a question  (Read 5961 times)

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
Abortion: a question
« on: August 07, 2007, 10:24:10 am »
There is a new medical procedure that makes it possible for men to use their bodies to incubate fetuses that they helped concieve.

A woman gets pregnant from having sex with a man. Early in the pregnancy, it is discovered that the woman will soon die for reasons unrelated to the pregnancy. Unless the fetus is implanted into the man, the fetus will die with her.

The man doesn't want to have the baby.

Should the fetus be implanted into the man's body against his will, forcing the man to use his body to incubate the fetus?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:27:05 am by Anna »

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
Re: Abortion: a question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:38:45 am »
No, but yes if he is against abortion :P

Just to teach him a lesson

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 10:39:07 am »
This won't help your argument, this scenario is pretty rediculous.

Still to actually answer your question I need more information, what kind of risks are there for the man taking the fetus, and for the transplant of the fetus? The fetus would be attacked by the man's antibodies, because it is a foreign object.

Depending on your answer to that I would say one of two things:
Find an alternate man (or woman) who is willing, because that is possible in this situation
No, because of health risks and also because this is the most pathetic attempt at proving your point.

If we could transplant a baby then abortion would be obsolete and nobody would "carry around a parasite against their will".
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 10:40:51 am »
okay then imagine this: What if men could get pregnant. Would you have the same opinion?

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 10:42:28 am »
okay then imagine this: What if men could get pregnant. Would you have the same opinion?
if men could get pregnant then i would still be staunchly against abortion, since I don't want to pop out a baby, I would remain abstinent and not have any problem.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Chakra

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 10:45:12 am »
After seeing that arnie movie, no.

Also, 'stead of making a thoughtful approach towards the equalities of the fairer sex in comparison to our cock-wielding brethren, how about removing the concept of sexual status altogether? After all, it's not about whether you're a man or a woman, but whether a baby should come into the world and what right anyone has to stop that.

Otherwise i'm all for choice. Theres more to consider when deciding the existence of a life than a respect for life itself.

MM; seriously Chakra, stop the fisting
Yes, I'm still alive.

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 10:50:37 am »
I see you're posting this question in direct connection to the abortion discussion you took part in.
You're trying to prove that a man does not want to have the baby while he is forcing the woman to keep it.

First of all, this is the woman's choice. does she want to give it to the man or does she want to give it a shot and see if she can give birth to the baby before she dies?
Secondly, would the woman agree on an abortion if she knows her man doesn't want to have it? I mean, they do love eachother, right? They should come to a decision they both support.
Third, this is an entirely diffrent situation and exactly the same situation but in a diffrent form as you used in the abortion discussion. If the fetus isn't transplanted to the man, you didn't kill it as you would with an abortion.
Abortion:
- No abortion? (don't kill it)
- Abortion? (kill it)
Transplantation:
- Yes (Save it)
- No (Don't save it)

And I assume you know that such a procedure isn't possible, simply to prove your point. If it were possible a man would suffer more since his body isn't capable of feeding a baby. Biologically seen, a woman is stronger at these things than a man.

I completely agree with Chakra.
Men and women are equal in general. But if you start applying that to smaller items (like abortion) that is not true. To give a simple math example:
Bag A: 10 Apples, 5 cucumbers
Bag B: 10 Apples, 5 cucumbers
It's not because bag A and B have the same contents that a part of their contents are the same (eg 2 Apples from bag A != 2 Cucumbers from bag B).
I hope I explained it quite clear since I'm having quite some difficulties with explaining these things as English is not my main language.

Grtz, DePhille
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:54:43 am by DePhille »
This signature was broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 10:59:27 am »
This won't help your argument, this scenario is pretty rediculous.

Still to actually answer your question I need more information, what kind of risks are there for the man taking the fetus, and for the transplant of the fetus? The fetus would be attacked by the man's antibodies, because it is a foreign object.

Depending on your answer to that I would say one of two things:
Find an alternate man (or woman) who is willing, because that is possible in this situation
No, because of health risks and also because this is the most pathetic attempt at proving your point.

If we could transplant a baby then abortion would be obsolete and nobody would "carry around a parasite against their will".

I specified that the man can only carry the fetus if he helped to concieve it, meaning he is gentically the father.

The risks are the same as for regular pregnancy.

Date Posted: August 07, 2007, 11:54:19 AM
I see you're posting this question in direct connection to the abortion discussion you took part in.
You're trying to prove that a man does not want to have the baby while he is forcing the woman to keep it.

First of all, this is the woman's choice. does she want to give it to the man or does she want to give it a shot and see if she can give birth to the baby before she dies?
Secondly, would the woman agree on an abortion if she knows her man doesn't want to have it? I mean, they do love eachother, right? They should come to a decision they both support.
Third, this is an entirely diffrent situation and exactly the same situation but in a diffrent form as you used in the abortion discussion. If the fetus isn't transplanted to the man, you didn't kill it as you would with an abortion.
Abortion:
- No abortion? (don't kill it)
- Abortion? (kill it)
Transplantation:
- Yes (Save it)
- No (Don't save it)

And I assume you know that such a procedure isn't possible, simply to prove your point. If it were possible a man would suffer more since his body isn't capable of feeding a baby. Biologically seen, a woman is stronger at these things than a man.

Grtz, DePhille

I am not trying to prove that the man is forcing the woman to keep the baby and I don't see where you got that idea.

The woman's choice is irrelevant - she is dying. She will die before there will be any chance at giving birth.

I never said anything about the relationship of the man and woman. It's not relevant.

It's a hypothetical situation where the man is equally capable to the woman of being the incubator for the fetus.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 10:59:31 am »
Also, 'stead of making a thoughtful approach towards the equalities of the fairer sex in comparison to our cock-wielding brethren, how about removing the concept of sexual status altogether? After all, it's not about whether you're a man or a woman, but whether a baby should come into the world and what right anyone has to stop that.

THANK YOU.

Of course.  He's just as much responsible for the baby as the mother is, and it's his responsibility to do everything he can to ensure that the baby comes into the world and leads a happy, fulfilled life.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 11:08:53 am »
Your trying to prove that a man shouldn't decide over a woman's body, that's almost a literal quote from the abortion discussion ;). Anyway, that's irrelevant.

If they're equally capable and equally responsible for the baby (no rape, ...) and the woman will die then I would logically agree that the man should have the fetus.

Grtz, DePhille
This signature was broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 11:14:45 am »

Of course.  He's just as much responsible for the baby as the mother is, and it's his responsibility to do everything he can to ensure that the baby comes into the world and leads a happy, fulfilled life.

But would YOU do it?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 11:16:21 am by Will »

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 11:27:11 am »
Why not force the man to give his organs to his wife against his will so they can save the woman and the child.

Anyway I don't think a man should be forced. If he would truly want to save the fetus then he should have the option to do so.

OBEY!!!

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 11:30:43 am »
What's with all this forcing...

Long live Nazi-Communism!

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 11:32:16 am »

But would YOU do it?

The question is irrelevant, because I'd never be in a situation where I wouldn't want the baby.  I want to start a family, and I believe in the sanctity of marriage.  Therefore, I would only be having sex with the person that I had already determined I'd spend the rest of my life with, and I would look forward to any babies that were coming.

(I can answer the question with some bias, since you've converted it from a general question to a personal one.)
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Valorman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 11:33:04 am »
The fetus should die with the mother.
Putting the fetus in the man sounds like it could cause a lot of health risks and genetic imbalance since human males are not made to carry a fetus.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 11:34:23 am »
I suggest, if the parents feel they want an abortion, they should be allowed to have one.

If a woman or couple decided to have an abortion, other people should not be allowed to stop them. Do you know what the woman's scenario is? Maybe, if she received a baby, she would not have enough money to support the child. Do you think that child will suffer?

Maybe, the woman has no will to take care of a child. Won't that baby suffer? Maybe the woman already has other children and won't be able to keep up with an additional one. Maybe the mother will put the child up for adoption, where 50% of the time a decent family will pick him/her up, and 50% of the time... not so lucky.

In important factor is when the child is born - what will his or her life be like.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 11:37:34 am »
I'm kinda sure that no man would accept to be implanted a fetus into his body. Whoever denies this is lying.
urraka

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 11:44:58 am »
Dunno. If I loved a woman so much that i would decide to marry her and then a doctor would tell me that I could save the child by putting it inside of me, I believe that I would accept that.

OBEY!!!

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 11:51:43 am »
Your trying to prove that a man shouldn't decide over a woman's body, that's almost a literal quote from the abortion discussion ;). Anyway, that's irrelevant.

No, the man does not have any control over the woman in this case.

In the abortion thread I was talking about men as a group making decisions for women as a group (patriarchy).

Date Posted: August 07, 2007, 12:47:30 PM

THANK YOU.

Yes, let us conveniently ignore the fact that only women can get pregnant.

Ok, so how much jail time should he get if he manages to avoid having the procedure, resulting in the death of the fetus?

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 11:52:20 am »
Force me to have the baby?  Im sure noone could force me to do that lol They could try but it wouldnt work.  Plus i drink too much for them to even consider that.
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon