30 (83.3%)
basic analoge Console controller
4 (11.1%)
the Wiimote
2 (5.6%)
J0yst1ck
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: ultimate gamer faceoff  (Read 4085 times)

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
ultimate gamer faceoff
« on: August 08, 2007, 07:38:04 pm »
what pointing device/controller scheme do you like the most:
Keyboard + mouse
basic analoge Console controller
or the Wiimote

I personally like the keyboard and mouse because it provides the most buttons and the most precison, which is just what you need for FPSes and RTSes
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
Re: ultimate gamer faceoff
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 07:41:17 pm »
Mouse and Keyboard.
Prefer them for shooting games and any games like Rise Of nations. For racing games I prefer a  steering wheel or controller
Just another soul to burn.

Offline ThunderPantz

• Camper
  • My avatar rules you.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 07:42:10 pm »
moose and kaybord

LET THE BASH PIT LIVE ON.
Smoking doesn't kill people, cancer and tobacco does.

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:49:03 pm »
mouse and keyboard...by far
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

Offline RabidTreeFrog

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 07:50:15 pm »
depends. for games like zelda i like a controller. for an rts i love the mouse+keyboard
not around

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 07:51:40 pm »
This is a no-brainer. Mouse + Keyboard offers a vast array of speedy shortcuts that will beat the controller any day.
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 07:52:23 pm »
Could you play Soldat with a controller?

(It's a rhetorical question)
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 08:01:15 pm »
Definately keyboard, mouses give you so much more precision in FPSs, and keyboards have so many more shortcuts and stuff.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 08:02:55 pm »
Controller, I just grew up that way.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 08:05:39 pm »
in the interest of keeping this train of thought at full steam, I'll try to generate some discussion by attempting to justify the other side.

With a console controller you are often in a more casual and relaxed environment, you are often farther from the screen then with a PC and usually on a couch or comfortable chair. so playing a game like a puzzle game or a sim game could be a more enjoyable experience.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 08:10:27 pm »
Plus, it feels better and more natural to me. I have more fun and you just dick around with friends as you play. If its fun, who gives a shit about performance.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 08:18:23 pm »
in the interest of keeping this train of thought at full steam, I'll try to generate some discussion by attempting to justify the other side.

With a console controller you are often in a more casual and relaxed environment, you are often farther from the screen then with a PC and usually on a couch or comfortable chair. so playing a game like a puzzle game or a sim game could be a more enjoyable experience.
Can't think of many puzzle/sim games that are good for systems with controllers. And since it is a controller, no hotkeys for some sim games (crt+b for build, ect.) Didn't see Wiimote, if you get it down it is like an advanced mouse. You just gotta get good at it.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 08:23:26 pm »

Can't think of many puzzle/sim games that are good for systems with controllers. And since it is a controller, no hotkeys for some sim games (crt+b for build, ect.) Didn't see Wiimote, if you get it down it is like an advanced mouse. You just gotta get good at it.
after playing through 2 fpses with the wiimote, I like it a lot, but I don't think it has quite the responsiveness of the mouse.

Offline Krypt_

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 08:30:30 pm »
I've heard of being able to sync up a Wiimote to your computer if you know how to do it and personally I think for FPS's it would be sorta like walking into an arcade and picking up the ol' Time Crisis gun and aiming it at your screen, kinda giving you that omgthisissick realism feeling. For now, I'm leaving my Wiimote for my Wii. (And ironically, I'm typing this message out using the Wii's provided internet service...ftw!)

To the best of my knowledge...a mouse and keyboard by far is the best combo.

Expression.Freedom.Art.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 08:32:02 pm »
The only time I would EVER use a controller is like playing metal slug on an emulator. It just makes it so much more...fulfilling.

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 08:54:46 pm »
The only games I play are RTS's and FPS's.

So obviously a controller.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 09:16:19 pm »
You play real time strategy games with a CONTROLLER?
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 09:31:32 pm »
For fps and rts you need mouse and keyboard, otherwise you're an idiot... these games just don't play as well on other setups..

As for driving, keyboard and mouse sucks like hell, since the keys are either fully pressed down or not pressed at all... you can't adjust your steering or speed, all you can be doing is completely steering in one direction or not steering at all.. same goes for acceleration and breaks... ideally you want either a controller with touch sensitive buttons, or a steering wheel and pedals..

Playing driving games with a keyboard instead of a controller is about as good as playing time crisis with a controller instead of a light gun.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 09:42:19 pm »
If only there was a gun controller for your PC....THERES AN IDEA!
Just another soul to burn.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 09:54:34 pm »
For shooters I will always say keyboard and mouse. Anything else just whatever platform the game was made on, I am an easy going guy...
@ii