Author Topic: What was wrong with the 1.2.1 balance?  (Read 12229 times)

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
What was wrong with the 1.2.1 balance?
« on: August 14, 2007, 12:11:25 pm »
I just tried the 1.2.1 balance and I thought it rocked!  :D The weapons are so much more balanced than they are now. The barrett's delay and all didnt even make it more balanced, it just made it harder to use on beginners while experts still use it effectively. But the auto's stats in that version are near perfect. Ive been saying that the answer to the m79/barrett is strengthening the autos and the 1.2.1 balance works for me. Can anyone tell me what the major issues were with it? I never played when 1.2.1 was the dominant version of the game. I started playing during 1.3.1. However, i find the 1.2.1 balance better than both our current one and 1.3.1.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
Re: What was wrong with the 1.2.1 balance?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:37:19 pm »
Powerfulness. Spray. Ease of use, you needed less hits(read: skill) to kill.

Deagles were overpowered and overused, so was Mp5 a bit.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline y0da

• Soldier
  • :: Chaos Hunters ::
    • [cH] Soldat Clan
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 12:58:03 pm »
Yeah, I remember the day everyone was pissed off about spraying. But ppl didn't use only Steyr AUG, every other spray gun had it's good and bad sides.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 01:04:03 pm »
1.2.1 is the balance most people want to bring back, my personal favorite. But, alas, it was sprayers paradise. (I was a really bad barretard back then)
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:38:10 pm »
I think I started playing in 1.2.1 and I did notice you died pretty fast. The guns either did more damage or you had less health x].

And when the update to 1.3.1 came out, it took FOREVER to kill someone. At least it felt like it.

6th_account

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 03:40:53 pm »
The first SWC final between Sweden and Finland was a great example of the shittyness of the 1.2.1 balance. It was the most glorious and serious match yet to be played in Soldat's history at that time.

...It was a game with nothing but deagles, AKs and barrets.

Offline Carlitos

• Camper
  • Dont Give Up
    • Mr.Pants adventures on Soldat
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 07:05:58 pm »
i still remember the weapon balance on 1.2.1...good old days.
---See the advantures of Mr.Pants and others in soldat---
http://www.youtube.com/TugaSoldatTV
-------------------------------
Amen
-------------------------------

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 11:29:23 am »
Well IMO the autos need a little boost, so I like the 1.2.1. balance. The barrett also doesnt have the stupid restrictions in it, if it proved to be overpowered, I think the moveacc of the newer versions would be enough in itself. Also, spraying like mad wont be a big deal now because every screen the bullets get weaker and weaker. Oh yeah, the minigun actually seems like a good weapon in that version. In our version it is an underpowered joke of a gun. If deagles were overpowered, maybe decrease them a bit, but I think if the 1.2.1 balance was just tweaked a little, it would be perfect or near perfect. The one problem I have with autos now is that you dont stand a chance against 1 hit kill weapons half the time. They are nerfed where you need to hit them 10 times, they only need 1. It isnt that bad with our current balance, but I think the 1.2.1. balance is far more balanced.

Offline Blazing Tiger

• Major(1)
  • lolwut
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 09:22:38 pm »
Well IMO the autos need a little boost, so I like the 1.2.1. balance. The barrett also doesnt have the stupid restrictions in it, if it proved to be overpowered, I think the moveacc of the newer versions would be enough in itself. Also, spraying like mad wont be a big deal now because every screen the bullets get weaker and weaker. Oh yeah, the minigun actually seems like a good weapon in that version. In our version it is an underpowered joke of a gun. If deagles were overpowered, maybe decrease them a bit, but I think if the 1.2.1 balance was just tweaked a little, it would be perfect or near perfect. The one problem I have with autos now is that you dont stand a chance against 1 hit kill weapons half the time. They are nerfed where you need to hit them 10 times, they only need 1. It isnt that bad with our current balance, but I think the 1.2.1. balance is far more balanced.

I agree with this completely. Tweaking the 1.2.1 balance just a little would make it near perfect. It would also make secondaries (and AK) fun to use again.
IGN: Anal Glaucoma

Offline ElGato

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 10:25:04 pm »
The ruger was like hyper speed then too.
[fist] Black Powa

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 12:19:59 pm »
The ruger back then didnt seem much different than the ruger today.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 12:30:58 pm »
Lol, you know, the Barrett's delay helps me instead since 1) I've been saved from many wasted shots by the delay 2) It forces me to lead the target and I feel more accurate that way...
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 12:55:25 pm »
Lol, you know, the Barrett's delay helps me instead since 1) I've been saved from many wasted shots by the delay 2) It forces me to lead the target and I feel more accurate that way...
But the victim as time to bink you down, has time to damage you, and has time to dodge you.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline truup

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 01:59:23 pm »
I'd like to see how it would work with 1.4 > since spray wasn't nerfed only by weaponmod (I'm talking about maps, and the 'feature' how your shots loses their power after a screen). It might be enjoyable if Deagles were tweaked on it. However, I think this balance in 1.4 > is near perfect.

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 08:43:25 pm »
I dont really like a bunch of things with the 1.4 > balance.  The AK feels too weak, the ruger and minimi have too much moveacc (especially ruger, i cant fire that thing while moving at all, the shots are almost as inaccurate as the barrett's), the minigun is still useless, and the socom is almost as powerful as a primary. 1 hit kill weapons still feel too strong sometimes, although maybe thats just me.

Offline placid

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 01:31:07 pm »
I haven't played much 1.4 yet, I played a fair amount of 1.3, and a fuckton of 1.2, because I've found 1.2 to be the funnest version by far.  1.3 and 1.4 both have nice changes that definitely make the game funner, but overall they've gone too far in nerfing/buffing certain weapons.

After reading through these forums for a little bit I see a lot of so called elitists, people that play Soldat competitively, crying for more balance between the weapons.  It appears they want every weapon to be feasible in clan play.  I wouldn't be so quick to listen to them as it appears they haven't played in any other serious competitive environments, where there's always some amount of weapons that are never seen in competitive play unless it's done in humor.  It's fine that there's only a few weapons feasible in competitive play, that's part of what competition is all about.

I'm not trying to say that changes shouldn't be made at all, but the game has made some very noticeable changes since 1.2, and the game is simply not as fun.

6th_account

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 02:34:09 pm »
I've found 1.2 to be the funnest version by far.  1.3 and 1.4 both have nice changes that definitely make the game funner
but the game has made some very noticeable changes since 1.2, and the game is simply not as fun.

I see a lot of so called elitists, people that play Soldat competitively
it appears they haven't played in any other serious competitive environments

DECISIONS DECISIONS

On a serious note, you're a fool. Playing clanwars with half the people using steyrs sucks. Call me a communist, but I'd like to see all weapons get used.

Offline placid

• Major(1)
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 03:37:12 pm »
I've found 1.2 to be the funnest version by far.  1.3 and 1.4 both have nice changes that definitely make the game funner
but the game has made some very noticeable changes since 1.2, and the game is simply not as fun.

I see a lot of so called elitists, people that play Soldat competitively
it appears they haven't played in any other serious competitive environments

DECISIONS DECISIONS

On a serious note, you're a fool. Playing clanwars with half the people using steyrs sucks. Call me a communist, but I'd like to see all weapons get used.

Reading comprehension.  I was saying certain changes in 1.3 and 1.4 make the game funner by themselves, but when you add all the other changes in those versions, 1.2 is still funner.

Your last comment is exactly what I'm talking about, I'll use counter strike as an example since it's so popular.  Out of all the weapons in that game, how many of them are actually used in serious competition?

That's the nature of competition, people are always gonna use the best available, and trying to evenly balance every weapon in the game is foolish.  I could even argue trying to do that would further limit how many weapons you see in competition.  As each weapon becomes more "balanced", and less unique, there will always be one weapon that is clearly superior to the rest, in any situation.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:44:32 pm by placid »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 03:37:38 pm »
But the victim as time to bink you down, has time to damage you, and has time to dodge you.

Lol, yes, from 68 meters away xD
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline TiReD

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 03:59:45 pm »
That's the nature of competition, people are always gonna use the best available, and trying to evenly balance every weapon in the game is foolish.  I could even argue trying to do that would further limit how many weapons you see in competition.  As each weapon becomes more "balanced", and less unique, there will always be one weapon that is clearly superior to the rest, in any situation.

Sorry but many of us use weapons we like hoping that they get more balanced(Why hello there, mp5)
iwishicouldhateyoutodeath
[/color]