Author Topic: Are updates improving our favorite game?  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
Re: Are updates improving our favorite game?
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 01:51:20 pm »
I believe Soldat is still too young to start catering to the lower leveled players. Soldat still has some fundamentals to secure and get down before picking the details.

Soldat is too young? It has survived now for what, 5-6 years or something? I think it's old and needs heavy improvements to compete with commercial products. It has smaller community than lets say UT, but rivals it in gameplay and sheer fun.

I agree with xtishereb on that beta tester teams should be changed once in a while. It needs casual gamers, pros and newbies.

Offline truup

• Soldier
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 01:54:35 pm »
I believe Soldat is still too young to start catering to the lower leveled players. Soldat still has some fundamentals to secure and get down before picking the details.

Soldat is too young? It has survived now for what, 5-6 years or something? I think it's old and needs heavy improvements to compete with commercial products. It has smaller community than lets say UT, but rivals it in gameplay and sheer fun.

I agree with xtishereb on that beta tester teams should be changed once in a while. It needs casual gamers, pros and newbies.
Just a question, why should it compete with big companies? It's actually nothing compared to for your example, UT by it's perfomance, graphics etc. but it still has got more and more players. It's the community we have and Soldat's uniqueness that are better weapons than nice graphics or any shit like that.

Offline Eddy

• Major(1)
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 01:55:28 pm »
Simple: No.

Offline extreemer

• Soldier
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 03:22:04 am »
1.3.1 is cool but rly 1.4.2 is the best ;D

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 04:11:08 am »
Soldat is so damn easy. All you need to do is play for 7 months against the best clans around and then you are one of the best players.

Orr.. 5 months with spraying, camping, general laming and such. Does not attract people. Soldat is 2D! Wtf, people play 3D games like CS and UT, who the fuck would even think of simple 2D? It is for noobs,

Notice that I am talking from the view of a regular CS/UT/ET/Quake player. Everyone knows Soldat. Just go to your school, ask people do they know CS. If they do, ask do they know Soldat. Be impressed, people know, people are not interested. "Too easy, for noobs"

Soldat is just a small game. People dont even know that you can actually play clanwars in Soldat.

Commercial games are known due to advertising. I'd say that if Soldat was made by Valve, sold by them for $10 and advertised on Steam and on websites, Soldat would be taken more seriously.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Doktor_Joint

• Major
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 05:19:06 am »
Without reading others comments i want to say:

-I agree with 1st post.

-in MY opinion every changes in Soldat future versions should be ONLY and ONLY about  improving anti-hacks/bugs system. Every others changes are unnecessary, as the Soldat WAS perfect game in middle of versions - 1.3.2

thx for attention.

to all who don't agree - does ANY of new features from 14.x make your Soldat more fun/addicting/cool etc? not for me.

Offline mozzer

• Camper
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 05:37:25 am »
Dizzy, im not zomg uber1337 or whatever you wanna call it. When i play with the rest of the testers, i dont have a clue what some of them are on about half of the time, but i do what i can and contribute when i can.

Offline GluLm

• Camper
  • Polybugs' nightmare
    • maps pack project
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 10:10:40 am »
I kind of agree with Doktor_Joint about the real improvements needed for Soldat. Graphic changes are just useless and even deteriorate the game IMHO.
The netcodes changes were needed anyway, too bad they affected the graphics so badly too (I'm mostly referring to the invisible bullets buh there)...
I feel kind of sad I'm still playing 1.3.1 as I feel like 1.4.2 is way too full of bugs, and some graphical changes were just not worth it. PITY.
Bring back Soldat 1.3.1! New bullet trails DIE!

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2007, 10:56:55 am »
Like society, this game is improving in some aspects, getting worse in others. My main concern with the new updates and all is the weapon balance. Some of the weapons in the current version pwn, maybe too much (M79, Steyr AUG, SOCOM) while other have been weakened and/or are horrible in general now (AK74, XM214). In the 1.4.3. or 1.5.0 versions, I would like to see improved weapon balance, in my experience the weapon balance has been going downhill. I started playing in 1.3.1. and I feel the balance is worse now. I didnt play in 1.2.1. but the balance is in our soldat folders, and I think it rocks and with a few tweaks couldve been the best balance.

The other changes, i like them. I like battleeye. I like getting rid of the knife thing. I do think bugs need to be worked on more though. O well, this game isnt going downhill as much as people claim to be. I keep comparing this game to another game I play, but some of the other games go downhill REALLY fast ( in a matter of weeks). Soldat is still awesome, evcen with its bugs and IMO uneven weapon balance.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 10:58:47 am by JonWood007 »

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2007, 11:36:20 am »
again. 1.2.1 balance is for noobs. Fast killing, no skill really needed to become good. Thats why people say they were better in 1.2.1.

Anyway, balancing the game is not easy, not at all. Lack of time by beta testers, some inactive ones, hard to organize testing sessions multiple times a week and such. When I beome a tester, I played Soldat for over 15 hours in the 3 first days, and alot of it was just testing the balance. It gets frustrating. yet it is fun, but seeing the problems of the balance is quite hard. Then add like 10 different opinions how the balance should be, yarr, won't be easy.

Anyway, Soldat has been improving imo, slow progress, but improvements still. I don't personally want any new features, maybe some tweaking and bug fixing and such would be cool.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Dizzy So 1337

• Soldier
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2007, 02:29:09 pm »
I probably should have sat on the idea until I had a more concise version of it to post.  Still, it is fun and educational to see what has bounced back.  For the record, I never suggested that some people should use a different balance than others.  You're right that would be a stupid idea, and it's not suggested by me.
xfire - todhostetler
"There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone except to stick a dogskull on a stake."

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2007, 03:41:02 pm »
Just a quick aside here:
...other have been weakened and/or are horrible in general now (AK74, XM214).
That's funny; last night someone said the AK-74 was too powerful in this version. Then again, me and a friend were basically killing everyone on Alpha in U13 INF with AK-74s. This supports my idea that the AK-74 is an excellent defensive long-range weapon, it will pin down or kill anyone who tries to advance. I also got several off-screen kills, despite the "nerfing" of spray, it still works in the right circumstances.

to all who don't agree - does ANY of new features from 14.x make your Soldat more fun/addicting/cool etc? not for me.
The minimap. Allows me to easily see where my teammates are and help choose where to defend. More helpful than the names along the side as well.
Being able to adjust text size is fun, too.
And the unicode support, though it's somewhat buggy. I ♥ unicode characters.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline Doktor_Joint

• Major
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2007, 04:33:48 pm »
The minimap. Allows me to easily see where my teammates are and help choose where to defend. More helpful than the names along the side as well.
Being able to adjust text size is fun, too.
And the unicode support, though it's somewhat buggy. I ♥ unicode characters.

1. Does game without these things was more boring or gave you less excitement?
2. Helpfully mini map - yes for reg payers. Unicode - good, but who use it so much to take it as necessary change? Wasn't it needed previous?

I don't want argue or offend anybody and nothing.

When you look at it objective - you'll see that improving ideal (almost) thing will make it worst. Changes should focus on really important aspects and keep away from  improving gameplay, as it was best how it were.

And I don't thnik soldat 1.4.2 is much worst than before, i'm just scared that changes are going in wrong way.

cheers.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2007, 04:50:21 pm »
I agree with xtishereb, I was 84 kills 40 deaths, no caps, at a U13 kampf match with AK. (30 points above the guy below me, who scored once) I think that soldat has changed mostly positively, with a few exceptions. The hardest problem is that some changes the auto users love, the semi autos hate, and vice versa. Same goes for r/s people and normal people, INF vs CTF or INF/CTF vs DM, etc. It is hard to compromise becuase of this.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2007, 09:22:31 pm »
Anyway, Soldat has been improving imo, slow progress, but improvements still. I don't personally want any new features, maybe some tweaking and bug fixing and such would be cool.

Yeah, Soldat has definately been making some slow improvements. The features are fine, its just the bugs that need working on.
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline Bunney

• Flagrunner
  • Early Rave/Oldskool <3
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2007, 08:07:36 am »
Well, i tottaly agree on u Dizzy. and Doktor_Joint. the updates since 1.3.2 hasent realy made my gameplay better.

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2007, 04:57:52 pm »
Err, you call it n00by, I call it fair. IMO the 1 hit kill weapons (particularly m79 and knife) are way too powerful. As I mentioned before, I spray these guys first, make every bullet, and I still die before I can finish the job. I dont think nerfing the weapons would work, but I would like an automatic firepower increase. Maybe its just my style, in 1.3.1. I played this one mod a lot that had superpowered weapons and liked it, so maybe its just my style. I just dont like how some weapons kill in 1 shot while the autos are left in the dust.

As for the AK being "overpowered" they were probably just complaining because they were losing. If you can pwn with the AK74, youre just good. I get kills with it, but I can get kills with any weapon, except minigun and chainsaw (minigun too weak, not good at maneuvering with chainsaw). The AUG is far more powerful than the AK this version.