Author Topic: Interface modding  (Read 757 times)

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
Interface modding
« on: August 17, 2007, 12:43:37 pm »
Whenever I mod the interface I usually keep the interface graphics roughly the same size.  Maybe a few pixels wider here or there.

Most of you have told me to be more like Dairy when modding, who usually makes the interface graphics much bigger than the default ones.

Should I do that?  Make the pics larger for more detail?  I've always been against it.
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
Re: Interface modding
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 02:34:32 pm »
I'm against it. Everyone has their own style, and you should be the judge of what YOU want to see. If you go too big you'll end up like Henito Kisou or Mangled's Soldat Enhanced. Pick a size that's right for YOU. And I scoff at people who think 'details' are everything and are done with a color that's separated by darker lines. If you've noticed how PS or any other image manip program executes bicubic resizes, you'd know the correct way to do details that are less than 2 pixels in size.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
Re: Interface modding
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 01:21:52 pm »
If you go too big you'll end up like Henito Kisou or Mangled's Soldat Enhanced. Pick a size that's right for YOU. And I scoff at people who think 'details' are everything and are done with a color that's separated by darker lines.
Die! :D but thanks to putting me in the neighbourhood of Mangled ;)
I modded before, but my real modding has started Neverending Nightmare mod.
First dimensions of my style (still called NN style): 40x13
Second attemp inspired by Mangled's work: 65x18
Actual, optimal, perfect sizes: 60x16
Darker lines to keep details isn't master rule in my style, it's used when neccessary for make better visibility, mostly, but not always.
Proofs:

(Last done in NN's 'vanilla' style)
Also this style finally allowed me to photorealistic things, so isn't linear, simple and restricted as you think.
To Brock: not big, not small, find yor best size adjusted to your style and shading technique, dont listen and learn/copy things from other modders because that are only hints, not exactly way step-by-step how you need modding. Try find your best desing by you and dont follow to other modders.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 01:32:18 pm by Henito Kisou »