Author Topic: Rules for a new kind of tournament  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Meandor

• Major(1)
  • King Duck of the Biscuits
Rules for a new kind of tournament
« on: July 08, 2007, 04:50:42 pm »
Hello all. I'm still alive. Since it's summer and I have now some more time to dedicate to soldat I decided to make an interesting league, also because TNL is kind of dead.

What I need help on, mainly, are the rules.

http://www.turrino.com/soldat/stbw/rules.htm * (sorry about the crappy map, having time doesn't make me any less lazy)

Here is a first draft. It still lacks many things, but it is a start.
What is it? Essentially a risk game played with soldat battles instead of dices. It also has some distinct features that differ from risk, but the basic concept is the same.
If anything's not clear let me know.
If it is successful, I plan on changing many things, like maps, modes and new particular features like special facilities (ever played AH's 2210 AD risk?). Right now it is simpler because as I explained at the end of the rules, this is supposed to be a test run.

Would you partecipate?
What would you change, if anything?
(I also need an awesome name.. I was thinking of Soldat Tactics Battle World)

* it is not specified here how teams are formed. There will be seven teams, each starting in its own base. The teams will be made out of several clans together because once enough regions are conquered there will be a need for many players in a team. Also, the colours are just there to make it pretty. Conquering all regions of a colour won't earn you anything.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 04:52:17 pm by Meandor »

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
Re: Rules for a new kind of tournament
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 06:59:25 pm »
One new army can be created for every 3 territories that the team does own

How do you get to own a territory?
urraka

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 07:09:10 pm »

It's Risk, you win it.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Meandor

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 07:30:13 pm »
If you're talking about initial conditions, I was thinking of either assigning random territories or letting the teams pick them one by one at turns.

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 07:32:11 pm »

You can talk to this one guy here in this forum, but I forgot his name.

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline Wormdundee

• Soldier
  • Ruger what?
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 07:47:23 pm »
It says how you get territories right on the website. One team can use one of their action points to attack a territory with an opposing team's army on it. This starts a ctf match which determines who gains control of that particular territory and which army is defeated.

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 09:14:12 pm »
#1, Meandor I think you should know better than to ask about something like this here. No offense but there are simply not very much clans that lurk on this forum.

#2, I love the idea, but it has been tried before and has failed before (Not exactly the same rules ofcourse but the basic premise of a risk style gameboard has been done). The problem really becomes keeping clans and players active and stuff. I hope you can create a good tournament out of this idea, because IMO this is a great idea but to be honest I wont be surprised if this dies.

also in temrs of whether I would participate, if it looks promising and you can get a good number of people to signup, yes I would.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 09:17:14 pm »
Yeah, i thought every team would start in its base and start conquering from there. I got the idea now, Maender answered my question.

BTW, i don't know what Risk is.

You can talk to this one guy here in this forum, but I forgot his name.

WHAT?

PD: I think i would play.
urraka

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 03:26:20 am »
It is not impossible, if teams are done with clans allying with each other. This could bring back the old habit of clans being 'friends', and since clans are tight on their own, they could keep the so formed teams more active.

I'd help in organising such a league, but during the summer it would be kind of impossible to run. Half of europe is on vacation!

Offline Meandor

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 08:36:14 am »
Well, the other leagues failed because they didn't even start. I have some experience and I hope I can do better than that. Also, there are not many active leagues right now.
Anyway, I'm leaving for vacation too tomorrow. So if this starts, it'll be probably no earlier than late agust.
Demo: sure, I'll tell you more of what I have in mind once I'm back and you're not busy getting drunk with a certain german.
So thanks for the comments, see you later.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 08:46:03 am »
You could make it like a world wide league... lol.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 08:48:47 am »
every territory should be a different map.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 09:19:59 am »
Yes, exactly. Make enough territories to cover how many CTF maps Soldat has. lol.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 09:38:39 am »
I love the idea i look forward of this.

Offline Meandor

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 08:15:17 am »
I'm back and started working on this again. If anyone's interested they can come help out here http://www.turrino.it/SBTL/forum/index.php

Offline The Owls

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 04:21:18 pm »
I glanced over the rules, and the complexity of it will turn a lot of people away.  The bridges and attack points and fortresses are a bit to indepth for something your trying to do.  I'd would suggest dumbing it down and making it plain territory capturing, or something along those lines. 

Offline Major .:Noob:.

• Major
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 05:48:27 pm »
I glanced over the rules, and the complexity of it will turn a lot of people away.  The bridges and attack points and fortresses are a bit to indepth for something your trying to do.  I'd would suggest dumbing it down and making it plain territory capturing, or something along those lines. 

Agreed.

Offline Outcast

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • Semi-retired antagonist
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 06:28:39 pm »
I like the general idea, but it is too complex for as The Owls said it would turn a lot of people away.
Each territory being a different map is also a good idea.
When you open signups and teams apply you then divide the number of maps with the number of teams and give them each an equal ammount of randomly chosen maps which they will start with on the beggining as their areas.
The territory is made from one block that contains the same number(as the maps) of randomly connected(up to the one who makes the map) areas. Each map is then randomly put into one of those areas. Teams get their starting areas.
The teams can jump to any of their areas as they please and attack any areas that are connected to any of their areas on the map.
When the team is on a certain area(defending it) the rating of that area(map) increases by 1 for the time the team is on that area(of a possible Rating 2, where each map start with a rating of 0). When they defend the map for a turn it's rating increases the next turn so it stays 1 point higher even when they aren't on that area anymore.

These ratings would go something like this.

Rating 0 is normal and the defending team has 3 players. All maps start with this rating.
Rating 1 and 2 would mean you get a bonus when defending a map, each map having it's own 2 bonuses for each of the 2 ratings. These bonuses are map customised to offer a little advantage, they would be picked by the moderating team. From having another member on your team (3v4, 4v5...) as a law defender(only being able to use law), or is only allowed to carry the flag without shooting anyone, grenades only, .... Maybe a starting cap or two(whats a cap on nuubia ;) ), Maybe an extra player for 1 minute only, sort of like powerplay in hockey, there's a lot of options...
Rating 2 being a stronger advantage offcourse, but not by a lot.
People would have to demo every match so if the rules are broken they just send the demo and they rule breaking team looses the area. When you loose all areas you are eliminated.

When you conquer an area it's rating resets to 0. You could choose to defend and increase it's rating or attack another area, where the attacking army counts as a Rating 0(no advantage). Unless you attack from an area where you've just defended and it's rating increased by 1. The attacking army is then Rating 1 also.
The map you start in would start with rating 1 being your HQ. If your army is in a Rating 2 area the area still counts as Rating 2.

If more than 2 teams find themselves in 1 area at the same time, it turns into a TDM at that map. If you fail an attack you go back to your HQ and not recieve the rating upgrade. You get 1 attack or defence per turn. Teams tell the mod crew what they will do each turn and they make a plan of all the attacks and defends teams have to make(it can be several area defences in a turn(the Rating being higher only on the one area you are defending), but only 1 attack). There can also be none if you defend your territory and nobody attacks it.

That's my way of toning it down a little....

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 07:03:28 pm by Outcast »
o/

Offline s.donahue

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 01:47:17 pm »
I love the idea, but I think all of this rules discussion should be moved to the forum Meandor set up. I mean... isn't that what it's for?

Offline puddlejumper

• Major
  • .:|Born A Marine|:.
    • The R/S Soldat Website
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 01:58:05 pm »
Damn, I had an idea like this... though I was going to do the map in flash.

I knew it wouldn't take long for something like this to come out.