Author Topic: Mod installer with soldat files  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
Mod installer with soldat files
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:34:47 pm »
I pm-ed FLAB about this and he said I should post this in here so...

I was wondering if packaging a mod into a installer with the original soldat files like
the soldat.exe and all that, would it be illegal. If it werent and I was allowed to do that I'd make two versions ofthe mod slayer and I are curently working on, the one for the mod starter and one with all the necessary files for soldat so it can be installed in a different directory and still be played.

discuss and provide answers please :P

Offline Serial K!ller

• Camper
    • Soldat Mods Archive
Re: Mod installer with soldat files
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:00:09 pm »
I'm also wondering about that for my mod.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 02:17:15 pm »
So long as it's credited, using the originals shouldn't be an issue of copyright infringement.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 03:14:12 pm »
even if you're using the executable files?

I think Ivan's Heretic mod had that but I'm not sure... can anyone confirm? I can't seem to download it for some odd reason

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 03:18:53 pm »
Yes, Heretic II have options:
-Complete mod + new, full Soldat installation
-Complete mod
-Textures

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 06:17:32 pm »
so, I could maek a full installer or what?

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 06:31:21 pm »
You could, but it's completely unnecessary. The only files which Soldat can't load through from the mods folder are those in interface-gfx\. Scenery files and the tracked songs may also not be loaded, but you don't really see many mods with these things included and I haven't really tested this.
As such, you can load weapons, sounds, gosteks, text files, sparks (including explosions), textures, object graphics and kits. They will be able to go into a mod folder without requiring their own Soldat installation.
Then again, you may be marketing your mod to people without Soldat. In any case, always include a setup without any of the default Soldat graphics for people with it already installed.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 05:31:58 am »
Does soldat change the registry settings if it's not registered upon installation?

Offline Serial K!ller

• Camper
    • Soldat Mods Archive
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 05:38:02 am »
I think so for when you use a link to start soldat://12.456.544.456:45654/ so it know where it's installed

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 06:41:50 am »
I think we should ask MM for that.

I think so for when you use a link to start soldat://12.456.544.456:45654/ so it know where it's installed

It always detect newest install 'cause old files are replaced with new. We could ask MM for makin' "cuted" version for development with mods (without registry change etc.)

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 11:29:27 am »
The only files which Soldat can't load through from the mods folder are those in interface-gfx\. Scenery files and the tracked songs may also not be loaded, but you don't really see many mods with these things included.

- Which is really really annoying in my opinion. We should ask MM to make it so that modded interfaces are loaded the same way as everything else.. people who use mod starter or shortcuts genrally don't like having to replace their vanilla interface files just to play a mod (including me)
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20