Author Topic: Grenades: To nerf, or not to nerf?  (Read 22655 times)

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
Re: Grenades: To nerf, or not to nerf?
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 07:51:21 am »
First the legshot thing makes no sense and hasn't been fixed for a while for such a well known glitch.

I don't think that the fate of the player should be completely resting on who gets the successful grenade. I also don't think that someone should be able to save themselves when they have no ammo and almost no health and they just toss a grenade and kill you immediately.

The gun almost becomes a sidearm for these people with 3 and 4 grenades, and that is just stupid.
Maybe the grenade-legs thing is to give players more chance to kill someone who is above them? How many times have you been above someone and dropped a nade and killed full health guy? Then from below?

Now, by going above your enemy, you get an advantage to do headshots, while enemy does legshots, BUT, the enemy can throw a nade to kill you. Get it?

Just stay away from the nade spam. Yeah, my favourite quote here in Soldatforums has been something like this: "Low health kills are lame? I mean, enemy has 2% of health and he can kill you with a nade! WTF? Is it fair, 2% vs. 100% and 2% wins. -.-"
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline ChromedGun

• Camper
  • Angel of Death
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 11:28:35 am »
You say they need no skill? Maybe the spamming, but you lose all your nades on it. Why the **** you go too near the enemy, if you know heshe will spam them?

Use quotes so people know who you're talking to. You were obviously not talking to me.

@Kryp -- go buy some skills. use /command to bring up the commands.

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 11:29:52 am »
Grenades are grenades and should be as powerful as they are. EVERYONE gets the same maximum amount of "power" regardless of what primary/secondary weapon you choose.

Discussion over....i say again....discussion over...lock/delete/forget
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 12:13:05 pm »
Just stay away from the nade spam. Yeah, my favourite quote here in Soldatforums has been something like this: "Low health kills are lame? I mean, enemy has 2% of health and he can kill you with a nade! WTF? Is it fair, 2% vs. 100% and 2% wins. -.-"

lol Clawbug.. First of all, in clanwars, is is not possible to stay away from nades unless you are playing very defensively, which is not what most players do.

Second, low health kills mean you weaken someone to 2% health, that person throws a nade and kills you before you can finish him off. Some people find this very annoying, and my suggestion would fix it to a certain extent.

Now, by going above your enemy, you get an advantage to do headshots, while enemy does legshots, BUT, the enemy can throw a nade to kill you. Get it?

Most people if they are below the other person would drop to the floor, which gives a significant advantage in dodging. If you allow me to pick the air above someone, or the floor below them, I would pick the floor. Much better chance of winning the 1v1 from there.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:14:40 pm by Poop »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 12:35:33 pm »

lol Clawbug.. First of all, in clanwars, is is not possible to stay away from nades unless you are playing very defensively, which is not what most players do.

Second, low health kills mean you weaken someone to 2% health, that person throws a nade and kills you before you can finish him off. Some people find this very annoying, and my suggestion would fix it to a certain extent.

Most people if they are below the other person would drop to the floor, which gives a significant advantage in dodging. If you allow me to pick the air above someone, or the floor below them, I would pick the floor. Much better chance of winning the 1v1 from there.
Staying away from nades, and staying away from nade spam is same thing for you. Define nade spam for me please.

Of course everyone would choose to be below, especially when the new maps are played more than the old ones, except Laos. Nuubia, Ash, any new map is quite small, allowing you to get to the floor quite fast. Nowaydays clanwars are very defensiev anyway, once someone gets enemy behind, the whole team will return to kill the enemy.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 12:43:12 pm »
in a ctf situation, everyone would be speeding to the enemie's base to cap.

when 2 ppl meets and prepare to fight, They are already right next to eachother. and 1 of them would throw a nade, which brings the fight to a end almost instantly.

I think everyone has been in a similar situation and in this case there is no way of
Staying away from nades
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:46:14 pm by excruciator »
Always remember the succubus...

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 02:03:23 pm »

when 2 ppl meets and prepare to fight, They are already right next to eachother. and 1 of them would throw a nade, which brings the fight to a end almost instantly.

I think everyone has been in a similar situation and in this case there is no way of
Staying away from nades
True, in CTF. Anyone here play DM? TDM?

Thus I say half the nade damage, make them actually hit and let's whine every league and tournament/ladder to have 2 nades as maximum.

Wouldn't this solve it?
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 02:19:14 pm »
You all talk about low health killing, but you could killn the person with low health with a nade also, so he actually ahs no advantage at all. When i'm on low health I actually try to kill someone with a nade so he doesn't kill me, not just to get an additional kill...

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 02:38:05 pm »

Staying away from nades
True, in CTF. Anyone here play DM? TDM?

Thus I say half the nade damage, make them actually hit and let's whine every league and tournament/ladder to have 2 nades as maximum.

Wouldn't this solve it?

half a nades dmg is too much. I say 1 nade and spawn with no nades
or make nades the 3rd arsenal, and the switch weapons longer, just for the switch from nade to secondary

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 02:38:41 pm »
This has been bothering me for a while now, but I think that grenades might be overpowered. It isnt the damage they deal that I am concerned with, its the rate at which you can throw them.

Let me elaborate:

Rather than take skill to aim with a grenade, often times most players just spam them as soon as their ammo is empty. Dropping off 4 grenades in less than a second is a lot of players last defense towards someone who is rushing them. Not saying this tactic is 'illegal' or anything, but doing something like this really takes away the skill from grenades.

Why is it that most or nearly all of the kills/deaths in a game of Soldat are from grenades? My opinion is that the rate of fire for grenades should be lengthened by about a half second/a whole second. Why? Doing this actually returns skill to the grenades, people will be forced to learn how to use them correctly, rather than bash that E button as fast as you can to spam them all over the place.

well actually i agree. Tho i like it on some servers. But!
Having a slight time inbetween the nades would be more ´realistic´.
You can drop so many of them in 1 second. (Server i played had unlimited once)
just a few secs would do the job. Same for trenchwar.. run, make a big jump and trow both nades over the bunker prolly 1 will hit..
Having a little time inbetween would lower the chance.

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
  • Can't be arsed to remove christmas avatar
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 04:05:29 pm »
if you want realistic, they shouldn't explode on direct hit but after a number of seconds.
#soldat.ttw #ttw.gather --- Quakenet!
http://ttwforums.com

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 05:12:37 pm »
if you want realistic, they shouldn't explode on direct hit but after a number of seconds.
Yeah, and the shrapnel range should be like 30 feet. Last time I checked Soldat isn't realistic, again I point to the amount of thrust it would take to lift 150 lbs straight up, not realistic.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2007, 05:42:05 pm »
I'll sort this problem out in my mod by:

1. having the nade's damage increased
2.maybe having only one grenade so you don't spawn with one ( I think you don't) if no then two grenades max.

I wonder if startup works here? I'm gonna try experienting with grenades and see what comes out of it.

Offline Jordak

• Major(1)
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2007, 06:08:36 pm »
I think that this thread is getting stupid...I would think that nades are only too powerful (they aren't) when other weapons become essentially useless. I think that nades are most useful for throwing at an arc into an enemies position. If it doesn't kill them, and it usually won't, they'll have to jump out of the way exposing them to fire.

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
  • Can't be arsed to remove christmas avatar
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2007, 06:19:46 pm »
Exactly.
#soldat.ttw #ttw.gather --- Quakenet!
http://ttwforums.com

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2007, 10:20:45 pm »
I dotn think startup would work, but if they need to be nerfed, I would say limit them to 2 nades max and spawn with 1. The current problem is people run out of ammo then throw like 3-4 of them at you.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2007, 12:14:49 pm »
I think that this thread is getting stupid...I would think that nades are only too powerful (they aren't) when other weapons become essentially useless. I think that nades are most useful for throwing at an arc into an enemies position. If it doesn't kill them, and it usually won't, they'll have to jump out of the way exposing them to fire.

weapon now are already become a secondary. If you could make a script that makes the weapon that deals most % of dmg to show on the top right corner, then all kill would be from nades.

other weapons become essentially useless.

they are already.

Offline Coolio

• Camper
  • Well cya all.
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2007, 05:02:13 pm »
I think the nades are fine the way they are. TO me it would sort of take the fun out of throwing gernades if you had to aim. Also you should poll this.
BANNED

Offline Dr. Zombi3

• Soldier
  • Happy Almost Halloween :)
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2007, 06:32:16 pm »
This has been bothering me for a while now, but I think that grenades might be overpowered. It isnt the damage they deal that I am concerned with, its the rate at which you can throw them.

Let me elaborate:

Rather than take skill to aim with a grenade, often times most players just spam them as soon as their ammo is empty. Dropping off 4 grenades in less than a second is a lot of players last defense towards someone who is rushing them. Not saying this tactic is 'illegal' or anything, but doing something like this really takes away the skill from grenades.

Why is it that most or nearly all of the kills/deaths in a game of Soldat are from grenades? My opinion is that the rate of fire for grenades should be lengthened by about a half second/a whole second. Why? Doing this actually returns skill to the grenades, people will be forced to learn how to use them correctly, rather than bash that E button as fast as you can to spam them all over the place.
I think that the damage should be increased and the firing rate should be decreased because gernades do alot more damage in the real world and the firing rate, well it takes time to ready the gernade and throw it
3 warnings then did naughty thing. Now Banned.

Offline The Owls

• Soldier
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2007, 06:56:08 pm »
More damage..... grenades already are a 1 hit kill in the legs, they don't need more power.  Though I would like to see the throw rate decreased.