Could be good
4 (7%)
If it was done carefully
5 (8.8%)
NO!
32 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: September 06, 2007, 01:11:39 am

Author Topic: Soldat for Wii?  (Read 8472 times)

Offline britchesman88

• Major(1)
  • Laser cat Ruger
Soldat for Wii?
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:09:07 am »
It recently was announced that independent developers will be allowed to post their games on the wii shop channel for download by early next year. Nintendo has decided to make a cheap and open avenue for indie game devs to showcase their wares to all wii owners.
  I know that this topic seems to divide many of us and offend some purists, but this is an opportunity for MM to share his creation(s) to a wider audience. Granted there would probably be some changes in the format such as how the modding would work and the way the lobby would function, but it deserves some exploration.
  The new firmware update for wii supports usb keyboards and websites like wiicade.com have also had great success creating games that replace the traditional mouse with the wii remote. Many reviewers of the wiimote often liken it to the mouse because it allows for precision and impulse movement. It was also recently discovered that the nintendo has plans for a headset for voip.
  I wanted to throw this out for serious discussion and earnest exploration into such a possibility. Again, I'm aware from viewing an earlier topic posted in the lounge that this topic can be very polarizing for many reasons. So if this upsets you please limit the fanboy anti-fanboy and hardcore purist negativity. I am interested to see creative ideas and solutions, but just try to limit the "I hate wii, wii is sh*t", "I love wii so much I want it to have my babies" or "I'm so hardcore that if soldat was on the wii I would personally hunt down anyone playing and shred their wii with my customized Soldat Chainsaw!"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 04:44:21 am by britchesman88 »
Personal defense is not an option. It's a responsibility.

You can't take the chicken out of a weasel.

Offline Lobasuu

• Major
Re: Soldat for Wii?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:33:11 am »
"Soldat will never be programmed for portable consoles/machines, or probably even regular gaming consoles (Michal doesn't have the money nor the time to do so, and even then gameplay probably would flop on such systems)"

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 02:12:57 am »
"Soldat will never be programmed for portable consoles/machines, or probably even regular gaming consoles (Michal doesn't have the money nor the time to do so, and even then gameplay probably would flop on such systems)"

We all know that is in the rules, and that's nice, but rules were made to be broken.

I'm sure this thread title probably deterred you or made you want to flame this guy, but he brings many interesting points to the table; and their backed up with evidence and an explanation.

The USB support is awesome, and I think that paired with the open Wii Shop Channel makes a killer combonation. I'm unaware of the price to do this, but I think it would be a good thing for MM to look into.

The only problem I have with this is that I think for the Wii, the game should be made a little more mini-gamish. The Wiimote is not intended for pixel-precise shooting like a mouse is, so I think maybe the people should be bigger or some sort of thing like that.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 05:07:06 am »
NO!

→ Soldat will never be programmed for portable consoles/machines, or probably even regular gaming consoles (Michal doesn't have the money nor the time to do so, and even then gameplay probably would flop on such systems)

Offline britchesman88

• Major(1)
  • Laser cat Ruger
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 05:24:43 am »
If you want to say no, that's what the poll was for. Please keep your responses constructive. I brought this up for exploration, so try  to think outside the "NO!!" and give valid reasoning not gut responses and stale mantra. I understand that it has been stated in the past that MM would not go for this sort of thing, but to close it off like that and refuse to even look at what options are out there is foolish at best. This topic is simply trying to open the door for discussion not slamming. Again if you have an opinion about the topic that's what the poll is for.
Personal defense is not an option. It's a responsibility.

You can't take the chicken out of a weasel.

Offline Flamingo

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 05:38:42 am »
No because Wii users can aim faster then computer users.
Banned

Offline Stealth

• Soldier
    • Just Deserts...
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:13:28 am »
As much as I'd love to see Soldat (or a good clone) on the Wii, I doubt anyone will make one. Especially since it was also possible on the DS, which has been out for a while, but nothing has come up.
Soldat on Linux: It does work! Need help?

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 07:52:48 am »
Michal doesn't have the money nor the time to do so

Yeah, Soldat's a PC game not a wii game. But I guess in some ways a wii version of Soldat would be cool.
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 08:18:20 am »
It wouldn't hold the true values of Soldat if it was on the Wii (or any console for that matter). So I say no.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 01:56:44 pm »
No. Not that I have anything against the Wii; just, no. In any case, EnEsCe spelled it out in black and white exactly why not.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 02:01:45 pm »
does the wii use direct x? I don't think so, so no. No soldat for wii or anything else.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline truup

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 02:05:33 pm »
does the wii use direct x? I don't think so, so no. No soldat for wii or anything else.
DirectX is part of microsoft imperium... Xbox 360 is also part of it. They're rivals. Why would Wii use microsoft's libraries? ;_;

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 02:09:28 pm »
DirectX is part of microsoft imperium... Xbox 360 is also part of it. They're rivals. Why would Wii use microsoft's libraries? ;_;
You just proved my point.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 02:12:41 pm »
Nintendo = programming underdog. Poor them.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 02:28:46 pm »
Direct X 7, for internet :)
I wish they would make it for Wii, but no for reasons stated above. O well.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline .Long-Range

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 02:40:46 pm »
The controls certainly would be interesting. But this sadly wouldn't happen :[
Though the Wii would be the best console if Soldat could be played on any gaming console. Joystick + Soldat = difficulty.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Carlitos

• Camper
  • Dont Give Up
    • Mr.Pants adventures on Soldat
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 02:42:46 pm »
of course no

Nintendo: douchebag
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:44:46 pm by Carlitos »
---See the advantures of Mr.Pants and others in soldat---
http://www.youtube.com/TugaSoldatTV
-------------------------------
Amen
-------------------------------

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 02:44:18 pm »
This is just a ridiculous idea. The Wii was designed to make 3-dimensional control easier, but Soldat is just a 2D game. There are just too many things here that are incompatible (not to mention you'll all see more 8-year old gamer noobs, which I think alone an be a game killer).
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Ride

• Soldier
    • NA Soldat Clan Website
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 02:55:26 pm »
Stupid Idea...
Might aswell say a game lik
N should be on Xbox 360
Ingame Name: TC ~ Ryde.Lf ~
Past Clans: ^Re/ ~ -eO:

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 03:03:51 pm »
Stupid Idea...
Might aswell say a game lik
N should be on Xbox 360

That's different, N COULD be successfully ported to the Xbox 360.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.