Could be good
4 (7%)
If it was done carefully
5 (8.8%)
NO!
32 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: September 06, 2007, 01:11:39 am

Author Topic: Soldat for Wii?  (Read 8454 times)

Offline amb2010

• Camper
  • Fear the dot ...
Re: Soldat for Wii?
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2007, 07:52:22 pm »
I'm gonna say no on this because, the fact MM said he wasn't going to and that the transfer from PC to the Wii would probably change a lot of things that make soldat...soldat. I voted the if done carefully because if they carefully make it as to not lose the feel of soldat and style of it i would probably play.

on a side not flaming = bad and theres a lot here so it probably would be best to tone it down....
And as the lyrics go in the United State's national anthem: "America, f**k YEAH!".

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 08:08:33 pm »
I'm gonna say no on this because, the fact MM said he wasn't going to and that the transfer from PC to the Wii would probably change a lot of things that make soldat...soldat. I voted the if done carefully because if they carefully make it as to not lose the feel of soldat and style of it i would probably play.

on a side not flaming = bad and theres a lot here so it probably would be best to tone it down....
As I've said, if there is a port, It'll probably be a fan port, not an official port.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 08:54:20 pm »
lmao i know about the wii. ive played it. it just doesnt appeal to me. it hard to aim the remote and therefore would cause unstable shots. this would make the game harder and less fun. also the moving would be too hard. and how would you chat?! sure you could use the keyboard, but then couldnt you just play soldat witht the keyboard? kinda defeats the purpose.

soldat only need to be on 1 consle. and the one mm chose was the best..

is that better you two?
Obviously you played it for about ten minutes or you have epilepsy. The wiimote is as close to a mouse as you can get on a console. I can't wait to frag idiots like you who can't learn the controller.

are you kidding??! its impossible to keep that retarded controller still. sniping would die. your cursor would slip around and youd miss your shot every time. when using other weapons, you would spray alot more than normal.
AHHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHA
AHHAHAHAHA

Oh wait, You were serious...

AHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!1
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 08:57:30 pm »
Rofl 4-year-old. I agree, it isn't very hard, unless you had your arm straight out as opposed to in your lap, and even straight out... To mean this seems as more of actually taking the time to getting it to the Wii than actual technical issues, which means in the end it won't happen becuase I for one won't take the time to do it, and most people won't. And people who will and have the skill to do it are doing other things.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline britchesman88

• Major(1)
  • Laser cat Ruger
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2007, 12:22:13 am »
If it would help some of you get by your hangups and gut responses maybe I should ask for input on how to best create a game in the Soldat style(much like Soldat is to Worms and Liero). Yet, I will restate that it would be unwise not to probe into the possibility of soldat being made available to wii owners. I'm sure when the "no-console" rule was made it was in reference to a port for a PS2 style console where Soldat would be simply not possible to do.
 I'm also not asking whether or not anyone likes the idea. What I'm trying to do is get some talk about how it would be done correctly using the hardware and support the wii offers.
If I may I would also bring up some new information that would possibly generate more creative talk.  In addition to the wiimote, nunchuck, headset(voip), and keyboard, nintendo also has a zapper shell due out this fall which increases your ability to be precise because of two hand control. (submachine gun style). It's also been discovered that the new balance board is being looked at by fps devs to control the movement (left analog stick) while sitting or standing. With all this unique technology there should be a good way to give fans of soldat a new way to play on the wii.
Personal defense is not an option. It's a responsibility.

You can't take the chicken out of a weasel.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2007, 12:45:28 am »
If the wii has directX, or an equivalent, it/xm/wav/mp3 support, and a language not too dissimilar to c++ or similar languages, then it is very possible.

Britches, what you said about the Zapper and balance board: It is possible that you could use the zapper, because the thumbstick is on the back, and you could still use that to move around, I'm not sure how the balance board would work. I'm not sure if the Wii allows two seperate peripherals that require motion sensing to work on the same player.

My suggested set-up for simple wiimote:
wiimote move - aim
wiimote A - nade
wiimote b - reload
wiimote > dpad - switch weapons
wiimote < dpad - switch weapons
wiimote ^ dpad - freecam while dead
wiimote trigger - fire
nunchuk thumbstick - move
nunchuk move up - jet
nunchuk move down - prone
nunchuk thrust - throw weapon

A few more commands, but I covered most of them. 

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2007, 12:47:44 am »

I'm also not asking whether or not anyone likes the idea. What I'm trying to do is get some talk about how it would be done correctly using the hardware...

Sorry man, I'm not that savvy with this stuff. I'm sure one of the bigger rollers can handle that area of it though.

...With all this unique technology there should be a good way to give fans of soldat a new way to play on the wii.

And most of the people who said no, are looking for an identical/near-identical experience for the Wii. I said in my second post that it would probably have to be modified slightly to compensate for the Wii, and I think that wouldn't hurt it a bit.

Also, I forgot who said this, but someone said "the no porting rule" was made and was referring to consoles like the PS2, where porting was extremely difficult, if not impossible. And I think that is true. Again, a rule isn't a rule unless it can be broken; otherwise it's an absolute.

Offline britchesman88

• Major(1)
  • Laser cat Ruger
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2007, 01:52:16 am »
mxyzptlk,
not a bad start for the control scheme. Maybe Z button for jet because it's an on/off action. reload could be done with A primary secondary switch could be done with a vertical motion of the wiimote in the same fashion of the soldat animation. I like the nade toss with the nunchuck. The c button could go for crouch and the minus button could zoom the sniper instead of dragging to the end of the screen.
Another thing, in the wii fit trailer it showed a wii remote and a balance board. Although not used by the same person in this instance,  it seems to be at the discretion of the  software software and not limited be the wii hardware so using two at once should not present a problem.
jbigz,
I posted this to here from people like you who think about topics before busting out the anger sword. Thanks for your input and backing up the meaning behind the "no porting rule."
Here's some stuff that's been banging around my head.
I wonder if splitscreen would be an option for offline play.
Wouldn't it be sick if your mii character could be used for your player as an option. Wow, if that was possible I could go against a zombie army of ex-girlfriends...   almost got off-topic there.
What about minigames like sniper target practice or how many zombies can you kill in 2 minutes.
 Anybody else have ideas like that?

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2007, 02:22:32 am »
Z is on the nunchuk, right? I have to be honest, I've never played the wii yet, but I see the potential.

Ok, improved setup:
wiimote move - aim
wiimote A - reload
wiimote b - fire
wiimote - - zoom/unzoom sniper
wiimote + - Prone
wiimote ^ dpad - freecam while dead
wiimote trigger - fire
wiimote move up - switch weapons
wiimote 1 - show/hide score board
nunchuk thumbstick - move
nunchuk Z - jet
nunchuk throw move - grenade
nunchuk move down - prone
nunchuk thrust - throw weapon
Balance board move directions(if possible) - move

The board is still sketchy, though; it hasn't come out yet, and people still don't know how it will work.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 04:13:45 am by mxyzptlk »

Offline britchesman88

• Major(1)
  • Laser cat Ruger
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2007, 04:07:19 am »
Great breakdown. The only thing I would change is have the - button on the wiimote toggle scope to simplify things a little and utilize the c button on the nunchuck to throw weapon so you don't accidentally throw your ak when you want to chuck a nade. in the same vein it might be good to make the +  on the wiimote control prone and stand.
Your right about the board, it's still to soon to speculate too much about the role it could play.

Offline ghg

• Camper
  • Village Idiot
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2007, 04:16:59 am »
NO!

→ Soldat will never be programmed for portable consoles/machines, or probably even regular gaming consoles (Michal doesn't have the money nor the time to do so, and even then gameplay probably would flop on such systems)
Ditto.
-=Gradius wuz you=-

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2007, 04:19:06 am »
I dunno, I still think that nunchuk down should be prone, because that is so much more natural, same as the thrust.

Besides, in the grenade toss, the controller would be horizontal while in the thrust and the down, it would be forward.
Anyway, the controls would be changable. If people found that they were chucking their gun while trying to throw a nade, they could just change the controls.

@ghg: Way to troll a productive conversation.

Offline britchesman88

• Major(1)
  • Laser cat Ruger
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2007, 04:30:39 am »
I think if the controls were fine tuned the nunchuck would feel pretty nice. but the c button could be held for one of the controls to prevent unwanted gun chucking or tossing grenades at your feet while trying to knife a sniper at range.

@mxyzptlk: at least ghg took the time to come up with an original moron statement... Wait a minute...

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2007, 04:38:34 am »
Ok, can you give me a picture of how the nunchuk is set up? I can't find an image on google images, or anywhere else.

Offline britchesman88

• Major(1)
  • Laser cat Ruger
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2007, 04:49:30 am »
http://wii.nintendo.com/controller.jsp

that should give you a better idea.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 07:43:51 am »
lol, B is the trigger.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline ghg

• Camper
  • Village Idiot
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2007, 08:32:05 am »
Productive? If MM makes Soldat work specifically on Wii Fit hardware, like you suggested, then I'll eat my non-existent hat.
-=Gradius wuz you=-

Offline Kerrazyeye

• Soldier
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2007, 09:02:45 am »
I used a modified xbox controller and set it everything up to run with soldat....left stick movement(and d-pad), right stick aiming....it was hard as hell. The aiming was not very precise, recoil made adjusting aim incredibly hard, etc.  Soldat was made for the preciseness and ease of a mouse+keyboard....

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2007, 09:08:07 am »
Productive? If MM makes Soldat work specifically on Wii Fit hardware, like you suggested, then I'll eat my non-existent hat.

How many fuggin times do they have to say it'll be a fan port if at all?  This is a discussion of what it MIGHT be should that happen.

I used a modified xbox controller and set it everything up to run with soldat....left stick movement(and d-pad), right stick aiming....it was hard as hell. The aiming was not very precise, recoil made adjusting aim incredibly hard, etc.  Soldat was made for the preciseness and ease of a mouse+keyboard....

Gee, that might explain why they suggested the Wii instead...
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Kerrazyeye

• Soldier
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2007, 09:13:25 am »

Gee, that might explain why they suggested the Wii instead...
The Wii controllers are even less precise then the xbox.....