Author Topic: Error: Could not load map  (Read 8847 times)

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
Re: Error: Could not load map
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2007, 06:59:08 am »
^that sounds somewhat more like it, however it also happens when the server is empty (and nobody is requesting)..

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2007, 07:08:41 am »
Well, I looked through alot of your console logs and one of the main causes is definitely because of the map file already being in use, so I will have to have a look into it but my current server binary will not work with Soldat 1.4.2, so I cant test it on your server >_>

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2007, 07:11:06 am »
:/ Bombski your sure nothing else is running? Here its like the server computer which runs the map. And me downstairs playing. Would that conflict?

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
  • Can't be arsed to remove christmas avatar
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2007, 08:14:50 am »
EnEsCe, how are multiple simultaneous mapdownloads handled?
One by one or in parallel? Is there a protection that no two users can request the same scenery file simultaneously for instance or is the map precached and sent from some kind of memory buffer?
#soldat.ttw #ttw.gather --- Quakenet!
http://ttwforums.com

Offline EnEsCe

• Flamebow Warrior
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2007, 08:24:02 am »
The file server code has been fully recoded in the next version, so just wait and see.

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2007, 08:27:08 am »
Oh okay, sure. I hope it'll fix these issues :D

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2007, 09:19:53 am »
I believe ChrisGBK said that this problem in specific should be fixed in the next version

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2007, 11:03:08 am »
Yea, it's an important issue, because without an admin, everybody is fecked when this happens basically. And it happens a lot! Sometimes it causes people to get banned because of the joining involved.

Offline Mr Pink

• Major(1)
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2007, 06:06:50 pm »
I am experience a similar problem with TW maps only the ARSSE consol is not give the map name so just "Error: Could not load map ()". Would this be the same issue or something else?

/nextmap still correctly loads the next map so it appears the maplist is working correctly.

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2007, 07:37:53 pm »
maybe you have a blank line in your mapslist? is it map specific or does it happen randomly? more info please.

Offline Mr Pink

• Major(1)
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2007, 08:39:19 pm »
The server version is 2.6.2, windows I believe and it seems to happen after every map if the server is populated. Have checked the map list and it looks good; correct cases and no blanks.

Currently trying to get the server updated to 2.6.3. If this helps I'll let you know.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:45:55 pm by Mr Pink »

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2007, 08:06:44 am »
yea, you should do that. its a windows server so the map cycle doesnt even have to be case sensitive. its probably the same error weve been discussing, but i dont understand why it doesnt show the mapname. have u check it through the server logs or through arsse? (arsse has somewhat different output now and then)

Offline Mr Pink

• Major(1)
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2007, 04:43:09 pm »
Unfortunitely 2.6.3 has not helped and the exactly the same is occuring... hopefully the server provider can offer a linux setup :s

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2007, 06:00:39 am »
I would like to remind you that mapnames MUST be ANSI, and NOT UTF. The wrong encoding would certainly cause that problem.

Offline Bloo

• Soldier
  • Yellow
    • BlueMutiny.com
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2007, 06:09:05 am »
I would like to remind you that mapnames MUST be ANSI, and NOT UTF. The wrong encoding would certainly cause that problem.

That has nothing to do with it.

So is this being fixed or what's happening? Would be nice to know.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2007, 06:44:01 am »
Map load errors generally have to do with file read permissions or other programs accessing them. Or lack of RAM/video memory.

Maybe it's the same soldatserver accesing the map twice, once for actually loading it, and another to send it to whoever is requesting it. It always happens in my server when the map is being loaded and someone is requesting the file, so maybe it makes sense.
That would have everything to do with it. When a round ends, all the Soldat clients are told what map will be loaded next. If one doesn't have the map, it will instantly disconnect and tell the user that it doesn't have it, therefore prompting them to rejoin and download the map. This is where, I believe, the error occurs, and on big maps, like TW maps, it will occur more often.

The file transfer that is inbuilt into Soldat must be running separate to the actual server or something similar (don't see why it wouldn't be). As EnEsCe said before, Map load errors have to do with permission problems or other program accessing it. Starting to see what might be happening now?

Now, if the user clicks join again before the next map has actually loaded, then it may cause the file to be unloadable by the server. While the file is being transferred, the server is unable to load the map.  The server would only need to load the map once, and if it fails to load it, then... well, you've seen what happens. Everything will spawn in the centre of the map, or what appears to be the map.

In actual fact, the server has no map loaded. There are no spawn points. There are no polygons. Everything will spawn in the centre of the map, because everything is relative of it, and it has no coordinates to spawn at. Because there are no polygons, you can actually shoot through walls, throw nades down and run over them and not die, land with a parachute then jump around like you're on the moon. Because the server doesn't have a map loaded.

If I was EnEsCe, I'd either try and find a way to make sure the server doesn't send files to anyone if the map isn't loaded, or try and make sure the file doesn't get locked on Windows systems.

p.s. EnEsCe, please correct me if I'm wrong at any point, or if I'm completely wrong... just a severe case of observation...
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2007, 07:08:14 am »
You are wrong.
- map bugs also happen when the server is totally empty.
- sometimes the map bugs for only a few seconds after which it gets loaded after all
- it doesnt have to do with file permissions because it isnt map specific
- There are actually polygons and spawnpoints loaded, they are just messed up. you can however walk on polygons and most of the time u can shoot at them as well. the server has the OLD map loaded instead of the NEW one that the client 'sees'

although i do agree it could be linked to filetransfers (i used to think this myself for a long time), how could you explain why it happens when the server is empty?

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2007, 07:43:04 am »
map bugs also happen when the server is totally empty.
I've never seen it happen when the server's empty... Do you mean that there is no one in, then the server suddenly goes berserk, throwing up heaps of errors about being unable to load maps? Do the same symptoms occur with a map loading error on a map change (the more notable situation)?

sometimes the map bugs for only a few seconds after which it gets loaded after all
Yes, I have seen that happen occasionally. The map appears to suddenly become bugged, but then it loads correctly. There's probably an explanation for this, but I don't know it.

it doesnt have to do with file permissions because it isnt map specific
I was paraphrasing what EnEsCe said on what might cause the map loading error. I only included file permissions because I thought it was necessary to complete the paraphrase.

There are actually polygons and spawnpoints loaded, they are just messed up. you can however walk on polygons and most of the time u can shoot at them as well. the server has the OLD map loaded instead of the NEW one that the client 'sees'
The polygons are loaded because your client is able to load the map. You won't physically go through the polygons because the client won't allow for it, but the server will usually apply velocity to you anyway (have a look at someone else who has just started standing still. They will probably suddenly disappear into the ground and reappear in their position constantly). Your bullets won't appear to go through the polygons because the client won't allow for it, but they will on the server. Don't believe me? Next time this happens, put a poly between you and your enemy, and shoot at him. If you're a good shot, he'll die (You'll probably get called a hacker too... :S). The next map is loaded because the client was told to, but because the server is unable to, [I think] it aborts the loading, causing no map to be loaded, but it will tell the client to load the previous map anyway.

I'm not sure if all of this is true, but I'm pretty sure I know the symptoms of the error (as in when there is no map loaded).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:47:48 am by SpiltCoffee »
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline EnEsCe

• Flamebow Warrior
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2007, 08:27:09 am »
Guys, its because of people with slow downloads speeds making the File download thread access the file for as long as it takes for them to download the map. Meaning if someone is still downloading it when the server decides to load it (usually about 5 second delay) it will cause errors.

Its fixed in the next version.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2007, 08:36:27 am »
Guys, its because of people with slow downloads speeds making the File download thread access the file for as long as it takes for them to download the map. Meaning if someone is still downloading it when the server decides to load it (usually about 5 second delay) it will cause errors.
Hot damn, I wish I could sum things up.