Author Topic: Warning message for necro-posting.  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
Re: Warning message for necro-posting.
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 02:04:50 pm »
You can deleted your own topic if no one has posted in it I believe, other then that its all admins and mods.
@ii

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 08:40:36 am »
I dont see why bumping old topics is bad at all. I mean, these are discussion forums. Someone posts to old thread, it gets bumped.. but SO WHAT? If no one will reply to it, it will be forgotten as other topics get above it quite soon, ESPECIALLY in the lounge.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 08:42:59 am »
I dont see why bumping old topics is bad at all. I mean, these are discussion forums. Someone posts to old thread, it gets bumped.. but SO WHAT? If no one will reply to it, it will be forgotten as other topics get above it quite soon, ESPECIALLY in the lounge.
FUCKING THANK YOU

-_-

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 09:41:50 am »
I don't like any of the ideas presented in here.  There are legit reasons to bump topics months or a year+ old, and autolocking or anything is not the answer.

As for Dephille's original idea, that is useless because someone who is bumping an old topic just to say "lol" isn't going to care about a warning message that shows before his post is posted.

Likewise, I don't want such a message to discourage someone from reviving an old thread for a real reason.

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 10:58:16 am »
I think it would be usefull. In the mapping forum, the usual replies are 'nice map' or 'gj', so if someone bumps ten, month old topics just to say that, I'll go and lock it. If there are dead links in the topic, he can just PM the author to fix them, and that's a better solution than pushing down the new topics.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 02:30:32 pm »
I don't like any of the ideas presented in here.  There are legit reasons to bump topics months or a year+ old, and autolocking or anything is not the answer.

As for Dephille's original idea, that is useless because someone who is bumping an old topic just to say "lol" isn't going to care about a warning message that shows before his post is posted.

Likewise, I don't want such a message to discourage someone from reviving an old thread for a real reason.
However it would be the perfect excuse to give them a warning for bumping one or two topics with "lol" posts. Faster they get warned the faster they get banned.
@ii

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 02:50:16 pm »

same. There still some unsolved questions in threads that are 2 months old.
Its good as it is. Just lock topics that are solved etc.

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 03:19:50 pm »
That's why a warning message is better than auto-lock.
Also, you'd have to click the post button twice instead of once, so people would read the warning.
This signature was broken. Feel free to fix it.