Poll

Should the new maps should be replaced with the old ones?

Yes
33 (80.5%)
No
8 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Back to the roots!  (Read 3366 times)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
Re: Back to the roots!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 07:18:59 am »
Honestly I don't see what the fuss is about. It's not like the old maps have been deleted forever. Just rename them and play them whenever you feel like it. They're not gone or unsupported. :P

competitive leagues follow the versions of soldat (on official release), i would want the leagues to not convert to the new remakes but i can't be 100% sure they will.
soldat leagues aren't very independent. it follows in whatever happens to soldat.

Offline Sauron

• Soldier
  • Call me "Uncle Sam"
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 09:47:13 am »
If you will look on the poll everybody can see that players wanna back old maps. No doubts about it.

Offline SC0RP!0N

• Major(1)
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 09:51:43 am »
Would be cool if the new remakes are an alternative.
Additional maps to the old maps. But please don't replace the old ones.

Offline p0ppin

• Camper
  • Soldat Mapmaker
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 10:32:26 am »
A poll of which of the new maps to keep would probably be more effective
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 11:09:49 am »
I'm kind of sitting on the fence on this one. On one hand, I love the old default maps that Soldat started out with, when the dominant colors were red and green and the maps had a single unshaded/partially shaded texture. However, I am also an admirer of newer maps that have a lot more definition. Maps by VTT and Kamikazeduck are probably my most favorite. Excellent visual design, layout and varieties of themes.

I think like p0ppin said, a poll would be an excellent idea. From what I've gathered from the community for the last 5 years at least is that, both simplistic 'old' defaultish and well made - with lots of visuals maps are favored. Demonic started the Mapmine long ago and filled it with only the best and amazing maps (haven't checked it lately to see if it's still updated). So basically, the community has supported both simple and complex styles. It's only fair then that the game should have some of both, IMO.

And, really it doesn't matter which maps come default with Soldat. They could ALL suck. It's up to the server owner, what maps they want to support. So if for SCTFL as well or other competitions - the majority of players favor old versions or old maps, then the servers can host just those old maps.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet