Poll

Should there be a 'Soldat messenger' ?

Yes, please!!!
yes
Idk...
no
Never!

Author Topic: [Soldat Portal] A Soldat messenger ?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline LORD KILLA

• Camper
  • Happie
[Soldat Portal] A Soldat messenger ?
« on: November 16, 2009, 02:38:57 pm »
Hi everyone.

I'm wondering why not add a 'Soldat messenger'. I know there are already Private messages in soldat, but the client starts up long and it cant be ran in tray... So why not create a messenger (maybe also linked with soldat-portal) that could be ran in tray, and chat in-game easily (a soldat-char for soldat ingame, wow)?

(btw, I'm trying make this thing slowly, so far with windows buttons, custom canvas will be added later)

LK
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:43:04 pm by LORD KILLA »

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
Re: [Soldat Portal] A Soldat messenger ?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 02:53:37 pm »
a soldat messenger with irc & irc scripting support(or impended in game) would be added to soldat portal? Why not? Awesome! F12
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:04:15 pm »
i might not be fully understanding, is this sorta like the soldat chat in the last version? (except of course with scripting capabilities)
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline LORD KILLA

• Camper
  • Happie
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 03:22:50 pm »
no, it won't be like lobby chat, you will be able to minimize it to tray, so it runs in background and you dont have to be on the desktop somewhere always... (well, I havent found out howto tray my app yet :P )

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 03:32:06 pm »
fail. it will be as much fail as the lobby

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 05:06:18 pm »
fail. it will be as much fail as the lobby
Yeah.. And why not just fix xfire's BE issue instead?
There are other worlds than these

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 09:28:03 pm »
If the Lobby Chat in this version is anything to go by, this idea will probably fail just as hard.

Yeah.. And why not just fix xfire's BE issue instead?
$able can't see a way to allow only certain programs to hook into Direct3D, and to stop others from doing the same or impersonating those allowed.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Cyrix

• Soldier
  • I'm trigger happy, trigger happy!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:20:46 pm »
I think a messenger would be quite cool. A way to tie it into everything would be very cool. I deffinatly think something easier then the PM system would be nice. F12.
""A man should look for "what is" instead of what he thinks should be"" -Albert Einstein-

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 12:56:45 am »
Well first of all.. you should stick with 2, maximum 3 options for vote. Yes, No and Other. More is confusing. That's why I didn't vote.

Anyway.. It all depends for what purpose the messenger is intended. If "just to chat" - then it'll fail for exactly the same reason why lobby chat failed - people run Soldat to play, not to chat with random people.

In that case I think messenger should be made for those who need to communicate in order to play - by that I mean contacting friends or clanmates in order to play a match with just them.
A simple IRC client would be perfect for clan channels or for a way to quickly contact admins of certain servers, play gathers, etc.

Why XFire and separate IRC clients aren't a solution - because different people like different programs and dont want to trash up their computer with other clients. But if there is some kind of client already in Soldat - it gives everyone an easy way of contacting each other without any extra programs.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 03:00:32 pm »
"Soldat, the new interactive chat client!"

;_; OH GOD NO. NO NOOOO.