Author Topic: Wall kick  (Read 4951 times)

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
Re: Wall kick
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2007, 02:43:04 pm »
f11, cuz none of ideas are rly used by mm anyway...
Text goes here...

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2007, 05:55:45 pm »
It needs a limitation, like you can only do it once before touching the ground again.

The problem is though, that there is no difference between "Wall" polygons and "Ground" polygons at this time. So it could be exploited, like you wall flip then lean back to the wall, then just keep wall-flipping up, because when you you touched the wall, it thought it was the ground :P

F11

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2007, 07:15:11 pm »
I realized that after I posted it jbigz. Yeah that could be bad if you just "wall kicked" off the ground. So I change to F11.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2007, 09:24:58 pm »
this has been suggested many,many,many times, and i don't like the idea, would you really take the time to jump up from a wall while you can use your JETS?

it has been denied before, so it will now...i think..

Hah, what a reason. Just cause it's been suggested before doesn't mean it wasn't a great idea then, and, yeah, if you'd actually look at the reason people are agreeing you'd see why this would be better than jets in a lot of cases. I'm not against opposing something with an actual reason, but...

And, you know how when you hit the ground with both feet you kinda bend down to absorb the shock of hitting the ground or w/e? well, what if you could only do another wall jump once you did that movement. Plus, a walljump would propel you q good bit away from the wall, so multiple jumps from the same wall would be impossible without a decent amount of jet, and who needs to walljump when you have jet?. And even if it was possible, it'd be more of a horizontal movement, not a vertical one. You couldn't really climb a sheer wall or anything.

*EDIT*
f11, cuz none of ideas are rly used by mm anyway...

Aye, partially 'cause of people like you pushing down the 90% approval vote with no real reason aside from "well, evrybody else is doin it"
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 09:27:04 pm by Lord Frunkamunch »
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 12:51:52 am »
The problem is though, that there is no difference between "Wall" polygons and "Ground" polygons at this time. So it could be exploited, like you wall flip then lean back to the wall, then just keep wall-flipping up, because when you you touched the wall, it thought it was the ground :P

F12

Doesent have to be new polygon code, just movement code. Thats no excuse really.
And ofcorse you wouldnt be able to scale a wall with it.

It would also be if you were travelling towards the right, and the efc comes flying by you, you dont have to waste alot of jet trying to get your movement speed to change directions.

And Laser Guy, that was a really great reason for you to vote it down....

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline danmer

• Camper
  • crabhead
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 08:27:06 am »
Soldat of Persia, eh?
Many people can't even do the backflip s**t from below the flag on b2b and ruins, and you're going to make the movement even more complicated =/ No wai

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 08:43:31 am »
Soldat of Persia, eh?
Many people can't even do the backflip s**t from below the flag on b2b and ruins, and you're going to make the movement even more complicated =/ No wai

So the people who can't backflip can just (get this) not walljump. And a move like this is hardly complicated...
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline eca jezza

• Major(1)
  • {+ECA+} is recruiting!
    • {+ECA+}
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 08:49:52 am »
Basically i think, its a small change which needs alot of redoing and effort. maybe in a future future version of soldat but i think its too soon for that now lol

Offline darkangel

• Soldier
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 10:52:58 pm »
MAN!!!!!!!!!!!11 THIS IDEA RULE MAN ROCK`S HARD  very nice hope soldat creators do this on next soldat
redemption for the redemtion...cause I'I'ma Fallen Angel.
do u have what it take to be a fallen angel??

Offline Duke

• Major
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 12:56:07 am »
I think that its a good idea in principle... but like a few of the people here iam wondering if the abuse of this could outweigh the gain that it woudl ahve for the game.

Offline /L

• Major(1)
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2007, 01:07:20 am »
Already possible, F11.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2007, 07:57:50 am »
Orly, howzat?

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2007, 08:21:04 am »
And Laser Guy, that was a really great reason for you to vote it down....
Thank you (sarcasm...)
Text goes here...

Offline Neosano

• Camper
  • IIAWAK!
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2007, 12:11:39 pm »
Yea, there is already... f11
KAWAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIII

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 02:06:14 pm »
One thatyeahyou could, logically,freakinguse on as many walls and as conveniently as a wallright.jump?

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 06:42:53 pm »
more dodging!

f12
Always remember the succubus...

Offline .Long-Range

• Camper
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 08:30:14 pm »
Reminds me of GunZ, F12. I think it would be kick-ass.

(btw, I despise GunZ).
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »
After some thinking, it just seems implausible to add to soldat. For one, it would require heavy coding work, and a control scheme reworking as well.
For two, it would add too much gameplay complexity. It would lose it's arcade feel, and thus some of it's appeal.

Three, Lag would render many of it's dodging capabilities useless.

Four, It would probably be derided as a gimmick and would be used rarely.

For these reasons, and the ones I mentioned earlier, I have to change my vote to a No.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2007, 08:49:50 pm »
For two, it would add too much gameplay complexity. It would lose it's arcade feel, and thus some of it's appeal.

]

Two: It wouldn't lose any arcade feel at all. It would speed up the game. Instead of losing your momentum by having to turn around and pick up speed again, you could just bounce off the wall and keep going. How is jumping off the walls less arcadey than a backflip?

Three: I'm thinking that a forward jumps worth forward will not be lagged out so much so that it didn't help you, lag is a silly reason :|

Four: Gimmick? Changing your momentum couldn't be made into a 'gimmick' I think it would keep things fluid.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2007, 08:57:23 pm »

Two: It wouldn't lose any arcade feel at all. It would speed up the game. Instead of losing your momentum by having to turn around and pick up speed again, you could just bounce off the wall and keep going. How is jumping off the walls less arcadey than a backflip?

Three: I'm thinking that a forward jumps worth forward will not be lagged out so much so that it didn't help you, lag is a silly reason :|

Four: Gimmick? Changing your momentum couldn't be made into a 'gimmick' I think it would keep things fluid.

Two: I wasn't thinking when I added the arcadey part, but the complexity is an issue. It's one of those things that the newbs would have an impossible time getting the hang of, and that experienced players would abuse to no end.

Three: I'm sorry, I don't follow. Are you saying that it would be like the leap that was added a while back? The major difference here is that it kicks you backwards rather than forwards. The lag would thus be amplified, causing late hits and complete misses where there was a clear hit.

Four: Pretty much summed up in two; the newbs wouldn't use it and the experts would abuse it.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking