Poll

Should the Flamer replace the Minigun

Yes
No

Author Topic: Flamer for Primary!  (Read 5891 times)

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
Flamer for Primary!
« on: July 11, 2006, 12:05:56 pm »
This was brought up in the weapon balance forum. We got to talking about how the Flamer sucks right now, and so does the minigun. So Mr. Domino came up with the great idea that maybe the Flamer should Replace the Minigun. I love this idea and i think that if the flamer became a primary, it could be beefed up a little bit, and maybe add a reload to it. Its not like flame throwers arent real weapons and this is some farfetched gun. I Vote Flamer for Primary!
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline viggoloniggolo

• Camper
  • maplord
    • Soldat Mappers League
Re: Flamer for Primary!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 12:09:19 pm »
it would be great if the flamer would be balanced correctly to fit the primaries. I think it shouldn't be a flamer but a flameball launcher, so it blasts 1 flameball and deals good damage, otherwise it would cause too much lag if 30 people would use a flamer on full-fire......

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 12:12:08 pm »
... NO thanks..

I can just imagine all the topics in game improvment and weapon balance now......
"OMFG OVERPOWARD FLAMER"
"Remove flamer and put beserk kthxbye?"
"PUT RELOZD ON FLAMERS"
"Put MINIGUN as POWERUP!"

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 12:35:24 pm »
i loled at "put minigun as poweup". why dont we just balance the minigun so it is...balanced, instead of replacing it.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 01:07:13 pm »
Voted "Yes," though I just said it should replace one of the autos. As much as I'd love to see the minigun go due to lag and slowdown issues, it's still a unique weapon in the way that it is used. Considering four of the game's ten primaries are autos with minor differences among them (not counting the minigun, the fifth auto), I don't think it'd be any great loss to lose one and make the flamethrower a real weapon in the interest of diversifying the game.

Offline viggoloniggolo

• Camper
  • maplord
    • Soldat Mappers League
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 01:13:47 pm »
what will happen to the flamer bonuRs thow, its gonna lose its popularity?

Offline ThomasMortfog

• Soldier
  • hi
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 01:44:48 pm »
The minigun is useless. Think of an M249 with a startup.

...Sucks huh?

I voted yes. I'd like to see the flamethrower used more, some people don't like the flamethrower, kill theirself and use a different weapon.

Vig - it could be just god mode...?

Offline Sotija

• Veteran
  • Sotija
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 01:59:54 pm »
You have think about flamer on realistic its will be owerpowered.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 02:25:46 pm »
what will happen to the flamer bonuRs thow, its gonna lose its popularity?

It's hardly popular as is, which is what I believe the other thread was trying to address. Right now, it's only worth it for the moment of invincibility -- it absolutely stinks as a weapon.

Offline Gore

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 02:32:23 pm »
Then the flame should be like it was on 1.05b, the flames weren't as fast and didn't travel too far, plus there was self damage. Actually it was a pretty shitty weapon and the current primaries would stand above it. I like the idea.

Offline Noldi

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 03:31:22 pm »
No because the minigun is strong, but the flamer is stronger, and stupider. No for me.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 03:53:27 pm »
The flamer does not do any bink to its opponents even though they are burning alive. because of this, somtimes I actualy use  anougher primary and only use the flamer when im close.

Voted "Yes," though I just said it should replace one of the autos. As much as I'd love to see the minigun go due to lag and slowdown issues, it's still a unique weapon in the way that it is used. Considering four of the game's ten primaries are autos with minor differences among them (not counting the minigun, the fifth auto), I don't think it'd be any great loss to lose one and make the flamethrower a real weapon in the interest of diversifying the game.

Get your hands off the Minimi sir!

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 04:21:03 pm »
No, it will be overused just like the m79.
There are other worlds than these

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 06:29:48 pm »
ok, the minigun must stay because there has to be a weapon for noobs.

That;'s the only way things are gonna balance out
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 07:02:49 pm »
lol. i checked the kill logs and minigun was 2nd to last for kills. yeah...a noob weapon for sure.

Offline Hootie hoo

• Camper
  • "Noone" isn't a word.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 07:09:01 pm »
The flamer does not do any bink to its opponents even though they are burning alive. because of this, somtimes I actualy use  anougher primary and only use the flamer when im close.

Get your hands off the Minimi sir!
Um, that says 'minigun', not 'minimi'. Correct me if I misread that.
I voted no. The flamer is only good for draining health, which is fun if they're dying and on fire and they kill you. RVENG LAWL.
I think the flamer should also be about twice as fast with the damage about half of how it is and a larger rate of fire. That would create a nearly solid stream of flame that would do about the same amount of damage. Cut the original damage but around 1/3 and that's pretty darned realistic, or so I think.
I think the minigun should be kept because it's funny in zombiematches, which I love (I recommend a Steyr and chainsaw in zombiematches - they do me good, anyway). ^-^
Image removed please read the forum rules.

Offline Deadeye Rob

• Camper
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 04:40:06 am »
it would be great if the flamer would be balanced correctly to fit the primaries. I think it shouldn't be a flamer but a flameball launcher, so it blasts 1 flameball and deals good damage, otherwise it would cause too much lag if 30 people would use a flamer on full-fire......

If u did that though, woulnt it rival if not match the grenade launcher, a flameball launcher could be modded.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 04:52:13 am »
YEAH LETS HAVE BERZERK AND PREDATOR AS A SPAWN OPTION ASWELL!

NO!

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 05:14:42 am »
YEAH LETS HAVE BERZERK AND PREDATOR AS A SPAWN OPTION ASWELL!

Don't be ridiculous. Those are strictly bonuses that give a temporary unfair advantage over a power-up-less opponent. The flamethrower -- strictly as a weapon with the invicibility excised -- would make a good primary addition and hardly be a game breaking addition. It's already in the game as is, and it'd make a great close-range minigun style weapon, one which helps weaken enemy swarms for your team to finish off.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 06:48:06 am »
If you have less then 100 ping, the flamer is one of the best weapons in the game. Why make it a primary?

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 08:21:33 am »
If you have less then 100 ping, the flamer is one of the best weapons in the game.

I disagree. I connect at 33-50 and that stupid flame still takes forever to kill someone. It's never worth the hassle to stay in an enemy's range just to keep the flame on him despite since it'll never actually kill. I'd think 20-30 seconds of contact should be more than enough to kill with the flamethrower.

Why make it a primary?

Diversity, plus it's already in the game, giving it the (remote) possibility that it could actually happen.

Offline Chameleon

• Major
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 10:39:13 am »
i cannot see it as a primary gun. just because i like the set up now and stuff. how ever, maybe adding it to the secondairy list as a 5th secondairy weapon. that way it doesnt really have to be nerfed, or replace any guns that are already made. only downfall i see about that is, it would kind of be like a saw, just weaker and with longer range

Offline Hootie hoo

• Camper
  • "Noone" isn't a word.
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 06:23:22 pm »
i cannot see it as a primary gun. just because i like the set up now and stuff. how ever, maybe adding it to the secondairy list as a 5th secondairy weapon. that way it doesnt really have to be nerfed, or replace any guns that are already made. only downfall i see about that is, it would kind of be like a saw, just weaker and with longer range
Oh, no, hell no!
Flamer for secondary? NO. No, no, no, never, no, notta chance!
That would spawn some major noob AND newb abuse. Please reconsider. =(
Image removed please read the forum rules.

Offline Gold

• Flagrunner
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 11:35:16 pm »
NO

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 03:01:57 am »
Okay, let's all PM MM and ask for this, I'll like to see the answer.

[/sarcasm]

Offline Candyman

• Major(1)
  • Sniper
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 03:50:25 am »
UH!! UH!! AND MAYBE HADOUKEN TOO!! 7H47 R4WK5!!

...now seriously.
[candyman]²

Offline Tallacaps

• Soldier
    • History surprises
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 08:15:39 pm »

No!

Minigun is a very stylish weapon.
Many noob people like it.
It make new people likes soldat.
It's spectacular.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 08:31:21 pm »
It would be nice to see a more intelligent response as to why this would be a bad idea instead of just Internet idiocy. :( Lots of no votes, but little to no reasoning behind them on why the flamethrower would be a poor or "broken" weapon, despite it hardly having any killing power as is. With some tweaks, it'd be a great addition I think.