Author Topic: Am I able to edit a map's background without editing the whole map?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
as the topic says: am I able to change a map's background without editing the whole map?

like changing ctf_Laos and still be able to play it online with people.

If yes, where is the scenery, I couldnt find it.
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline Wolf_Man

• Camper
  • I'm everything you're not watching.
Re: Am I able to edit a map's background without editing the whole map?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 06:06:38 pm »
Yea, if you mean the color like from Green / black as down like that or etc. i need a bit more explination

PS scenery is in C:/Soldat/Scenery-GFX (default location)
he has eyebrows of authority + 5. Are you kidding?

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 06:07:28 pm »
If you change a map you should ask the original author for permission and make sure to give credit where it's due.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:55:23 pm »
i think what he meas is he wants to change maps background color and still be able to play even tho people have other background than him...
Text goes here...

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 03:45:34 am »
i think what he meas is he wants to change maps background color and still be able to play even tho people have other background than him...

indeed

We've got ctf_Laos here, you can see a blue background. Can I make it green, and still play with other people who dont have the same background.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 04:29:24 am »

I know exactly what he meant.  But he also needs to consider what I said.  If this is something for private use that isn't being uploaded to a site or something, it's no issue.  But spreading around edited versions of someone else's map without proper credit is rude.

Not saying you're being rude here..but I just wanted to give a heads up, 'eh?

Edit: In response to the first reply of this topic, the type of editing you wish to do does not revolve around the scenery graphics.  If you want to change the background color you have to get one of the mapmaking programs, open up the map and physically change the background color.  Which is why I made that little suggestion.  Unless the people you are playing with have the updated version of the map they will not see the same background color as yourself, yet you can still play with them.

It doesn't matter what you do to a map really.  You can change the textures as well and still play against people on the same map.  They'll just see it differently without your version on their system.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 04:34:21 am by The Geologist »
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 10:52:01 am »

I know exactly what he meant.  But he also needs to consider what I said.  If this is something for private use that isn't being uploaded to a site or something, it's no issue.  But spreading around edited versions of someone else's map without proper credit is rude.

Not saying you're being rude here..but I just wanted to give a heads up, 'eh?

Edit: In response to the first reply of this topic, the type of editing you wish to do does not revolve around the scenery graphics.  If you want to change the background color you have to get one of the mapmaking programs, open up the map and physically change the background color.  Which is why I made that little suggestion.  Unless the people you are playing with have the updated version of the map they will not see the same background color as yourself, yet you can still play with them.

It doesn't matter what you do to a map really.  You can change the textures as well and still play against people on the same map.  They'll just see it differently without your version on their system.

no you can't..

it gives "wrong map version detected"

otherwise you would be able to just go though a tunnel (you made) to the flag
(I tested it with changing the background colout only, and it gave wrong map version detected as well)

ty for help all, its just not possible