Author Topic: Trenchwars, why?  (Read 13155 times)

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
Trenchwars, why?
« on: September 24, 2007, 02:38:13 am »
I have been wondering why people hype the TW so much. What is so special in it? What makes it good? Is it better thatn normal INF/DM/CTF? Why?

Personally I can't find it interesting. It is quite slow, maps are huge and flags are unnecessary, the point may be more in the killing than in the capping. I have actually never seen a cap in 3v3+ TW game.

Once I brought some 4-5 Finns to eC TW server, we all were talking in Ventrilo, and in 15 minutes everyone had said that TW just sucks, so we went to public CTF and enjoyed it a bit more.

Why doesn't it attract clanners? At least it did not attract any of us who played there.

I just see TW as a gamemode which I can only play if tehre is nothing else to play, which is usually sometime between 5 AM and 6 AM. What about you?
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Aquarius

• Soldier
Re: Trenchwars, why?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 02:53:56 am »
I like TW, with dominantion script TW is really fun IMO. It's all about how much terrain is in under your control. It's about defending your position and atacking enemy positions. It's fighting for the terrain not rushing for the flag. But I agree without domination TW is pretty boring.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 02:59:52 am by Aquarius »

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 02:59:12 am »
I have been wondering why people hype the TW so much. What is so special in it? What makes it good? Is it better thatn normal INF/DM/CTF? Why?

Personally I can't find it interesting. It is quite slow, maps are huge and flags are unnecessary, the point may be more in the killing than in the capping. I have actually never seen a cap in 3v3+ TW game.

Once I brought some 4-5 Finns to eC TW server, we all were talking in Ventrilo, and in 15 minutes everyone had said that TW just sucks, so we went to public CTF and enjoyed it a bit more.

Why doesn't it attract clanners? At least it did not attract any of us who played there.

I just see TW as a gamemode which I can only play if tehre is nothing else to play, which is usually sometime between 5 AM and 6 AM. What about you?

1. You really don't know how to play tw then...
2. Caps Dont always happen.. But most of the time there are people in TW they don't know how to play it, good tw players cap 2-3 or even 4 times in 1 game.
3. There probaly used to ctf... Ctf is alot different to TW, TW takes aniticpation, Trust on your team mates amd some luck.. In ctf you hardly see that.

TW is different, Good gamemode, Im aussie and unfortcently I play with 200+ ping. Enjoy the game, learn to play it or just plain old don't play it and stop whinging
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 03:14:37 am »
People have different tastes. Your finn friends obviously don't like using teamwork and tactics to force your way to victory and prefer the less intelligent form of gaming - shooting randomly in a CTF pub hoping for the best outcome.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 04:18:57 am »
People have different tastes. Your finn friends obviously don't like using teamwork and tactics to force your way to victory and prefer the less intelligent form of gaming - shooting randomly in a CTF pub hoping for the best outcome.
When playing in publics, I will just rather play for my own fun than for my team success, and I believe this goes for others aswell. Clans are for serious playing, publics for fooling around.

2 skilled clans play 5v5 in TW and there are more caps than in 5v5 public match? Dounds weird, as in normal traditional CTF it goes usually totally the other way. And it is also true that I don't know how to play TW, mostly due to the fact that I hate playing with teams in publics, and that there are 1 or maybe 2 proper EU TW servers, and also because I jsut can not find it so interesting as traditional CTF. :P
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 04:57:09 am »
its really based on your mentality to why you like it... when i was younger, i hated anything that involved strategy/tactics... i just wanted to shoot it up, get it over with and be the top scorer, any kid loves that shit.

Now, i've matured a bit since then and i enjoy more realistic things, just because its realistic, its not really something to explain except maturity (not saying you have none, its just based on that) Its as close as realism as you can get in soldat... no jets, recoil on guns, long terrains, trench warfare... anything you'd see in a war is there. Its basically role-playing when people do it right... using military terms, tactics, etc. and i can get into that type of shit just because its different from the more popular ''run and shoot gaming'' that 90% of the soldat community revolve around. Its the closest thing to teamwork in public servers that your going to find, when you get the right players to play.

TW isnt for everyone just remember that

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT
CTF_Boscage | CTF_Ridge | CTF_Polar | CTF_Dusty

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 06:07:21 am »
Hahahaha, zzzzzzzzzZING

Offline gedazz

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:08:37 am »
I don't really like TW either. I just don't like the design of the maps. They are long, flat, stretched, there are no mountains or tunnels. I like when the map has several routes, but there is only one route in TW. So it gets quite boring after some time.

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 07:28:26 am »
Nobody ever said it'd be better, it's just more realistic.

The point really isn't capping, but when you manage to get into the enemies base which, afterall, is still the point of the game, so there should be a benefit - the cap.

There is a load of TW Clans.

don't really like TW either. I just don't like the design of the maps. They are long, flat, stretched, there are no mountains or tunnels. I like when the map has several routes, but there is only one route in TW. So it gets quite boring after some time.

This one route makes all the fun in TW. You need to get a good timing and usement of tactical advantages perfectly because both teams are hitting onto each other right away.

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 08:48:42 am »
I like it, it's a nice alternative to my usual CTF, Hexer and R/S CS sessions.
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Vilho

• Soldier
  • Scandinavian
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 09:29:29 am »
Well, trenchwars is very good, but amusing? Nahh, I rather play CTF, DM and INF.

Offline Cappy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 05:17:56 pm »
I'm kinda' getting into TW's...I played a game about 2 nights ago. In regular CTF, I'm a rusher so when I played TW I kinda had that same mentality...boy did I get owned.

Offtopic: Does anyone know if theres a mappack for TW maps? Or something similar with the most popular maps used in TW.

[DE] ~ ~ ~

El_Spec

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 05:46:52 pm »
I think Trenchwars as realistic combat.  The maps don't have default looks and you need teamwork to capture the other team's flag.  And its in realistic mode. 

Normal games get boring after a while, Trenchwars is something new.  Other sub-gamemodes (when created) were the greatest craze in the Soldat world but eventually they died.  Trenchwars is just popular at the moment but people will become bored of it and move on to something else.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 06:07:07 pm »
Trenwar is fun, but all too often it is just random spraying and/or sniping from the middle tower that is in nearly every map, not any moving up from any side. Then one side gets air striked and the other team moves in, but even then still doesn't score. It still is fun though.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Iq Unlimited

• Flagrunner
  • mr. foobar2000
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 06:31:35 pm »
Trenwar is fun, but all too often it is just random spraying and/or sniping from the middle tower that is in nearly every map, not any moving up from any side. Then one side gets air striked and the other team moves in, but even then still doesn't score. It still is fun though.

play some clanwars, there isnt so much random spray.

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 06:37:08 pm »
Spraying is AKA Suppressing fire, a military tactic. Some people just don't know that a sprayer is someone who randomly flings bullets around, holding the fire button until the magazine falls down.
Firing with an automatic weapon at someone isn't spraying - this man has a target.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »
To me, if the person is offscreen/ you miss a lot it is spraying. Not saying its a a bad thing, just saying its there. Its really really slow but really, I am starting to like it more and more. Trying to be objective here guys.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 02:58:27 pm »
There should be gathers for this type thing or a server for the more serious players because im in a clan but most my clan doesnt play TW, and it sucks :\

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT
CTF_Boscage | CTF_Ridge | CTF_Polar | CTF_Dusty

Offline darkangel

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 12:41:39 am »
I HATE TW IS SO BORING, ALL THE GAME MODE IS LIKE IN SLOW MOTION, IT SUCK CAUSE U HAVE TO BE CAREFULL OF EVRYTHING FALLS , NO AIM LAWS , NO AIM BULLETS AND EVEN WALK IM MEAN WTF!!!!!!!
redemption for the redemtion...cause I'I'ma Fallen Angel.
do u have what it take to be a fallen angel??

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 01:12:21 am »
Rofl... You make me sick... Grow up you idiot...
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh