Author Topic: Screenshots.  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
Screenshots.
« on: September 19, 2007, 07:32:53 am »
It would be wonderful if soldat saves screenshots as xxxxxxxxx.png not xxxxxxxxx.bmp
That could be chosen in setup, which file do you prefer.

I came to this idea because I noticed that forum's do not support .bmp between tags.

Png:
*Smaller file
*Better quality

Bmp:
*Larger file
*Same quality as .png has.

Offline HiCe

• Major(1)
Re: Screenshots.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 08:47:29 am »
How is it possible that .png has a better quality than .bmp, if .bmp got the same?
It might be a sweet feature, but everyone owns something like Paint, so it shouldn't be a problem to save bmps as pngs, it leasts maybe 10 seconds.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 09:07:33 am »
everybody do not have paint on the computer. there is something called Unix systems and lite versions of windows, I like this idea though.

Offline Carlitos

• Camper
  • Dont Give Up
    • Mr.Pants adventures on Soldat
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:21:26 pm »
my screen folder 119 shots

110mb
---See the advantures of Mr.Pants and others in soldat---
http://www.youtube.com/TugaSoldatTV
-------------------------------
Amen
-------------------------------

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:14:52 pm »
See? Isn't soldat's folder big enough?

Offline s.donahue

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 02:08:38 pm »
Convert them. If I remember correctly, someone on this forum made a program that converts them automatically.

EDIT: Check here. The 'Other' section has two programs that'll do what you're looking for, quick and painless.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 02:22:05 pm by s.donahue »

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:22:00 pm »
Convert them. If I remember correctly, someone on this forum made a program that converts them automatically.

I think I saw that it didn't work for 1.4.2. Well, it might have been 1.4.1. Not sure.

I like this idea. It would save us all alot of time trying to convert the files.
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline s.donahue

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:30:25 am »
It works. I just used it.

Offline ghg

• Camper
  • Village Idiot
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 11:19:34 am »
I'm still for .PNG support.
-=Gradius wuz you=-

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 03:25:39 pm »
everybody do not have paint on the computer. there is something called Unix systems and lite versions of windows, I like this idea though.
The lite versions of windows all come with Paint and Unix systems with a graphical user interface usually come with some kind of graphic editing software that people could use to convert bmp to png.

@topic: Yeah, I would definitely prefer PNG instead of BMP. Would save me hundreds of megabytes of hard drive space.

That could be chosen in setup, which file do you prefer.
I don't see the point of there being an option between bmp and png in the setup as no one would choose to use bmp.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 09:44:57 pm »
So maybe just have Soldat dish out .png's rather than .bmps? It would have the same quality yet be much more easy on the hard drive.
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 10:05:28 am »
How is it possible that .png has a better quality than .bmp, if .bmp got the same?
.png files don't use the same amount of data as .bmp files to show the same information in the picture.

It might be a sweet feature, but everyone owns something like Paint, so it shouldn't be a problem to save bmps as pngs, it leasts maybe 10 seconds.
Or you could do this and save everyone the hassle of doing something they're going to need to do at some stage with their screenshots anyway.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline s.donahue

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 12:34:29 pm »
.png files don't use the same amount of data as .bmp files to show the same information in the picture.

Or you could do this and save everyone the hassle of doing something they're going to need to do at some stage with their screenshots anyway.
So you want to release an update to Soldat because you want something done automatically? People have already released working applications that fix this problem, and they convert your pictures quickly. Just use one of them once a week.

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 05:47:37 pm »

So you want to release an update to Soldat because you want something done automatically? People have already released working applications that fix this problem, and they convert your pictures quickly. Just use one of them once a week.

LOL NO, just take a whole bunch of suggestions and make one update instead of 50 small ones along with bug fixes, etc.

I support this, i always use .png files for images.

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT
CTF_Boscage | CTF_Ridge | CTF_Polar | CTF_Dusty

Offline Ouchek

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 10:51:19 pm »

It's another story when you have 200 scripts to convert, however some applications already exist (I personally use the one made by rami) but it would be better if the screens were directly in png, that would make us save a lot of time.

png = bmp without much loss (or not at all if I remember right) and way smaller files.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:55:39 pm by Ouchek »

Offline Hydro

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 12:21:36 am »
Download Irfan View -> File -> Batch Conversion/Rename -> Add your BMPs from Screen Folder -> Output format: JPEG -> Options Quality set 96 -> Start
Very good quality
600x480 before: 901 kB after: 60 - 120 kB
1024x768 before: 2305 kB after: 130 - 250

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 04:15:28 am »

Mixed with other things, yes, I would.

The fact that people have released programs for this kind of thing must indicate that it would be preferred.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 04:46:35 am »
I support the idea.

Offline Gotcha!

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 06:43:35 am »
The reason why most (multiplayer) games pump out .bmp's and .tga's is that the game gets less hinder of lag/freezes while coughing up a screenshot due to the uncompressed nature of these file types.
If it would make .jpg's, .png's etc. you'd have a longer waiting time.

I doubt MM would change the output filetype because of this reason. :)
People who live by the chainsaw get shot by those who don't.

Offline extreemer

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 04:46:48 pm »
lol