Author Topic: My Beef With M79  (Read 5497 times)

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
My Beef With M79
« on: October 05, 2007, 07:07:50 pm »
O noez not another M79 thread?
Alright here goes. All other 1 hit kills have startup, why doesn't M79?
Why doesn't M79 have 100% self damage? Makes no sense IMO.
That's it.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
Re: My Beef With M79
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 07:17:48 pm »
With the way the self damage is currently managed, if I'm not mistaken, is that all amounts of damage endured as a result from the M79 shell exploding, no matter how little, are calculated. Therefore, if Person A were to hit Person B from just far away enough that only a very, very slight amount of damage from the explosion would be normally recorded, but the shell made a direct hit with Person B, if 100% self damage were to be calculated, then Person A would die, theoretically speaking. This would make it ultimately very limited. Now, I'm not really keen on the way everything is coded, but I think you get the jist of what I'm saying. I'm sure someone who is more knowledgeable in the way things are managed in Soldat can correct me if I'm wrong.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 09:05:34 pm »
IMO, the M79 is fine. Its range is crappy and it has the 3 second reload. Start up time would nerf it too much, unless it is only like 20 or something. IMO, the key to solving the 1 hit kill problem is boosting the power of the autos like in 1.2.1.

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 10:25:49 pm »
O noez not another M79 thread?
Alright here goes. All other 1 hit kills have startup, why doesn't M79?
Why doesn't M79 have 100% self damage? Makes no sense IMO.
That's it.
1) You don't have to create a new thread for this, you just acknowledged there were other threads.
2) Because its balanced without startup?
3) Fire the m79 directly into the ground. You are now dead. 100% self damage if you actually, you know, hit yourself?
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
  • Can't be arsed to remove christmas avatar
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 07:07:51 am »
3) Fire the m79 directly into the ground. You are now dead.
ahahaha, that cracked me up.
#soldat.ttw #ttw.gather --- Quakenet!
http://ttwforums.com

Offline darkangel

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 11:36:55 am »
man is like the knife, why the knife kills u whit one cut and a bullet dotn kill u with one hit , now after seying that M79 ROCKS!!!!!!!!!
 :P
redemption for the redemtion...cause I'I'ma Fallen Angel.
do u have what it take to be a fallen angel??

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 02:07:01 pm »
Although, i do not share darkangel's enthusiasm about the m79, i dont love it but i dont hate it as i use it when i get bored.

But i feel i need to repeat myself...

An m79 is a grenade launcher, look at that, G-R-E-N-A-D-E L-A-U-N-C-H-E-R, and what do grenade launchers do? They shoot 10 pound grenades at a high rate of speed so they explode on impact. Now my point? m79 may seem to ''powerful'' but think if you got hit by a speeding 10 pound grenade, yeah life sucks dont it, the m79 is doing what its supposed to do, blow you the **** up, look at it like this, at least it isnt long range, at least it doesnt shoot out multiple grenades, just because the weapon is overused doesnt mean the weapon needs tweaking, just means its overused, dodge it, or play in gathers.

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT
CTF_Boscage | CTF_Ridge | CTF_Polar | CTF_Dusty

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 02:18:21 pm »
Here's why I think it needs startup:
If people are as pro with M79 as they say they are, they shouldn't be affected by a little startup time. But it will reduce the number of kamikaze style M79ers a lot. As for the self damage, it might be wrong about that. And merc, the ruger is a hunting rifle meant to take down deer and other large game, I think it would kill a person. Don't even get me started on the minigun, a vehicle mounted chain gun that is .50 caliber.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 03:04:54 pm »
Although, i do not share darkangel's enthusiasm about the m79, i dont love it but i dont hate it as i use it when i get bored.

But i feel i need to repeat myself...

An m79 is a grenade launcher, look at that, G-R-E-N-A-D-E L-A-U-N-C-H-E-R, and what do grenade launchers do? They shoot 10 pound grenades at a high rate of speed so they explode on impact. Now my point? m79 may seem to ''powerful'' but think if you got hit by a speeding 10 pound grenade, yeah life sucks dont it, the m79 is doing what its supposed to do, blow you the **** up, look at it like this, at least it isnt long range, at least it doesnt shoot out multiple grenades, just because the weapon is overused doesnt mean the weapon needs tweaking, just means its overused, dodge it, or play in gathers.

Don't try and pull the realism card here. Like LtKillroy said, most of the other weapons are much more powerfull in real life.

Don't even get me started on the minigun, a vehicle mounted chain gun that is .50 caliber.

For the record, the XM214 Minigun is a 5.56mm gatling gun, not a 50.cal chain gun. ;)

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 04:25:21 pm »
It wasnt really meant to be based on realism,  because i knew someone would have some smart ass answer, i made that comment because no matter how you look at it, game or realism the fact is, its still a grenade launcher, its meant to be a powerhouse weapon.

As stated before, its just overused, i bet if it wasn't overused people wouldnt be complaining half as much as they do now...

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 04:30:38 pm »
If you set a very small startup, do you think it would be overused. Barret used to be overused, it got a startup time so all of them went to M79. (pure conjecture, but not unfounded). It shouldn't affect you if your good, but noobs will be less apt to use it.

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 04:38:11 pm »
If you set a very small startup, do you think it would be overused. Barret used to be overused, it got a startup time so all of them went to M79. (pure conjecture, but not unfounded). It shouldn't affect you if your good, but noobs will be less apt to use it.

Agreed, i guess a startup time wouldnt be too bad, doesnt effect me with a barrett so i wouldnt mind it when i use an m79.

f12

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 04:43:46 pm »
M79 Hrm. I think it should have a "weight," like the flag. You notice how you move more sluggishly and jump lower while in possession of the flag? Should be same with M79.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 05:58:57 pm »
I actually never noticed that... is it true? If so its not that big of a difference

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 11:31:07 pm »
a vehicle mounted chain gun that is .50 caliber.

50 caliber? Isn't that the same as a Desert Eagle? That'd be incredible. o_o

Offline Avis

• Camper
  • Aufmachen, Gestapo
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 09:36:29 am »
a vehicle mounted chain gun that is .50 caliber.

50 caliber? Isn't that the same as a Desert Eagle? That'd be incredible. o_o
D:

He probably meant the .50 BMG ammunition, which is also the ammo of the Barrett. It's a 12.7x99mm big bullet, which still has a muzzle velocity of far over 700 m/s... Breaks tank armor. No it's NAWT Desert Eagle ammunition.

M79 Hrm. I think it should have a "weight,"
Not really, the M79 is one of the lightest weapons in the game.

I think it should have a bigger splash damage radius, so the carrier would get hurt, when shooting at 5m distances.

Also, the argument "Dodge!!111 noob!1111one" is ridiculous, even if the grenade flies pretty slowly, Soldat just isn't Unreal Tournament. There are situations where you CAN NOT dodge and the grenade still is ~25m away from you.

I think this COULD lower the problem's intensity:

Splash damage radius = 1/4 of the range of the weapon :D

Why? Because this is the problem of the M79 usage! You can just run into the enemy, shoot him at 6m and continue your rampage, because he will die, when hit. And he won't be able to dodge if you're used to the M79 nade behavior and fire correctly.
6m. It should not resemble realism, just game balance.
The point is that you have a weapon which is horribly easy to use in close quarter combat.
And you might know that grenade launchers are most certainly not used in CQC (Duh realism).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 09:42:50 am by Avis »
BANG! 5:45 o' clock. It's the police raiding your home, blackmailing you.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 06:27:28 pm »
M79 Hrm. I think it should have a "weight," like the flag. You notice how you move more sluggishly and jump lower while in possession of the flag? Should be same with M79.

...Either you're making this up, or there's been an update in the last 2 days.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Chain

• Major(1)
  • hellfire-bring it
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 10:54:28 pm »
I said it on another thread, but if you want to get into realism, the m79 in real life shoots grenades that don't arm till they're 25-30 feet away thanks to a mechanism that arms it as it spins. i know it's a game, but if it's not based on real weapons then the weapons shouldn't have real weapon names.
Now you've really crossed the line
Your hate for me is divine
My love yearns your suffer
On the grave lurks my prosper
Taunt more as a lure but it's no use
Knots tight my excite I prepare the noose
Say no more it's time for you to make your move
My blackened soul lit by your fuel

shadowage.6x.to

Offline Makaveli.

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 11:23:34 pm »
M79 is VERY annoying when ppl rush up to you then blast you with it.Its no fair. >:(

Offline TiReD

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 01:50:37 am »
Yeah nerf the m79 so everyone starts using steyr, ak and hk.

That way youll have a BORING game, where you cant get to the other flag cause everyone is just spraying bullets("OH BUT YOU CAN DODGE THEM", you can dodge the m79 kamikaze guy too.).
iwishicouldhateyoutodeath
[/color]