Author Topic: My Beef With M79  (Read 6200 times)

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
Re: My Beef With M79
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 07:55:36 am »
Most people hate the M79 because it's overused.

The best solution? Make people want to use other weapons!
How do you do that? Buff everything else up!

Remember, the M79 is not overpowered. It's overused.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »
Yeah nerf the m79 so everyone starts using steyr, ak and hk.

That way youll have a BORING game, where you cant get to the other flag cause everyone is just spraying bullets("OH BUT YOU CAN DODGE THEM", you can dodge the m79 kamikaze guy too.).
That's bull and you know it, barret got a startup and did everyone stop using it. No. Almost entirely just the noobs that camped/ran up kamikaze style with barret. All this would do is make people who lame around use other guns.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline TiReD

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 03:34:50 pm »
Yeah nerf the m79 so everyone starts using steyr, ak and hk.

That way youll have a BORING game, where you cant get to the other flag cause everyone is just spraying bullets("OH BUT YOU CAN DODGE THEM", you can dodge the m79 kamikaze guy too.).
That's bull and you know it, barret got a startup and did everyone stop using it. No. Almost entirely just the noobs that camped/ran up kamikaze style with barret. All this would do is make people who lame around use other guns.
by other guns you means autos and by that you make the game much MUCH slower cause everyone would have to go thru around 90 bullets just to get to the flag then 120 bullets to cap

(By the way, i hate the startup for barret it sucks huge balls, enjoy your no startup cheat for m79 D; )
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 03:45:06 pm by TiReD »
iwishicouldhateyoutodeath
[/color]

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 11:01:44 am »
Most people hate the M79 because it's overused.

The best solution? Make people want to use other weapons!
How do you do that? Buff everything else up!

Remember, the M79 is not overpowered. It's overused.

But if a weapon is overused, most people think that is overpowered, you won't change it ;/

What's wrong with m79?!?! TELL ME FFS... two arguments, why its overpowered.
(I know that if I'll write "one argument" most ppl will write "its 1hit !!!11oneone1!1" so I wrote "two")

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »
I despise the M79, but the reason why I'm not talking with the other Beta testers to nerf it is because it's not overpowered, it's just cheap; it acts as a good introductory weapon for newbs. The M79 is the weapon that lets you play in games without having such a nasty learning curve to grasp. If the newb gets better at the M79 he can decide to use a more challenging *cough*respectable*cough* weapon or they can try to get those harder medium-range M79 shots. Or if they really don't feel like challening themselfs, they can stick to the 'run&boom' "tactic" of M79ing.

The M79 is annoying, but Soldat needs it's newbs for it's playerbase to grow.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 12:20:49 pm by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline viceroy

• Soldier
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 01:42:35 am »
I think it should have a bigger splash damage radius, so the carrier would get hurt, when shooting at 5m distances.

Also, the argument "Dodge!!111 noob!1111one" is ridiculous, even if the grenade flies pretty slowly, Soldat just isn't Unreal Tournament. There are situations where you CAN NOT dodge and the grenade still is ~25m away from you.

I think this COULD lower the problem's intensity:

Splash damage radius = 1/4 of the range of the weapon

Why? Because this is the problem of the M79 usage! You can just run into the enemy, shoot him at 6m and continue your rampage, because he will die, when hit. And he won't be able to dodge if you're used to the M79 nade behavior and fire correctly.

This has got to be THE worst suggestion to "lower" the usage of the m79. EVER.

You know what happens then? We have a damned NUKE LAUNCHER. m79 is now turned into god-mode weapon, where you fire over a hill and into a spawn and damage the flagger, and the 2 guys camping there, taking away god-know how much health.

Did you seriously think this through before you said it?
hoopstar_4_2002: so if you dont mind me askin this, what do you like in women

Viceroy: Organs.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 02:25:45 am »
Please do not compare it with the barret when it comes to balancing it with the start up time. The barret is a sniper rifle and the start up time doesn't affect it(you can fire from very far away). While the M79 is very close range weapon and a start up time would mean instant death.

OBEY!!!

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 03:27:15 am »
Please do not compare it with the barret when it comes to balancing it with the start up time. The barret is a sniper rifle and the start up time doesn't affect it(you can fire from very far away). While the M79 is very close range weapon and a start up time would mean instant death.

Maybe it's the other way around. With the Barrett you have to aim well and get the shot just right. But with the M79, there is much more room for error.

Offline Aquarius

• Soldier
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007, 03:40:33 am »
M79 has much shorter range and you can avoid the nade if you are not to close. And it's up to you not to be to close and to learn dodging. You are clearly biased, like most spraytards.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:43:04 am by Aquarius »

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007, 06:54:56 am »
M79 has much shorter range

Yea, so dodging the bullets need different strategies. It's almost impossible to dodge a Barrett shot; it's more of a case of trying to dodge the sniper's aim by moving in random directions and binking him. With the M79, It depends whether it's a kamikaze M79'er or an M79'er that is good at aiming those mid-range shots. For the mid-range shots, you do have to learn how to dodge. With the kamikaze M79'ers, you have to use any means possible such as nades, auto-pushing and plain running to stop the M79'er from getting close enough for a cheap shot.

And it's up to you not to be to close and to learn dodging.

Tell that to the guy who just got blown-up by a kamikaze M79'er. Depending on the map, there's not much you can do against a M79'er before he gives you the close-up money-shot, other than what I said above.

You are clearly biased, like most spraytards.

As a Beta tester, I try to be as unbiased as I can. And you don't sound so unbiased yourself, considering that you just labled me and most auto users as "biased spraytards".

BTW, it's 'too close' ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 07:27:10 am by SDFilm »

Offline viceroy

• Soldier
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2007, 12:46:17 pm »
Quote from: Aquarius on Today at 03:40:33 AM

Tell that to the guy who just got blown-up by a kamikaze M79'er. Depending on the map, there's not much you can do against a M79'er before he gives you the close-up money-shot, other than what I said above.

first, "money-shot?"

Second, this is why we have long-range weapons, especially the sniper rifle you compare it to. You cant list every situation a weapon is good in and expect us to agree with you, because every weapon has its niche, and you should aim for that niche whenever you use that weapon. If youre using an AK-47, you fight at range. If youre using a Saw, you get as close as you damn well can. And if "kamikaze rushing" works well with the m79, then gosh darnit, kamikaze rush.
hoopstar_4_2002: so if you dont mind me askin this, what do you like in women

Viceroy: Organs.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2007, 02:31:41 pm »
Quote from: Aquarius on Today at 03:40:33 AM

first, "money-shot?"

Second, this is why we have long-range weapons, especially the sniper rifle you compare it to. You cant list every situation a weapon is good in and expect us to agree with you, because every weapon has its niche, and you should aim for that niche whenever you use that weapon. If youre using an AK-47, you fight at range. If youre using a Saw, you get as close as you damn well can. And if "kamikaze rushing" works well with the m79, then gosh darnit, kamikaze rush.

First: er..... heh, *cough* it's a metaphor....

Second: Yes, I totally agree with you.

Was that supposed to be countering my last post or did you just feel like making that point?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 04:21:36 pm by SDFilm »

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2007, 03:08:21 pm »
Alright first off, I use ruger, no spraytard here. Also, people don't snipe with the barret. They run up and shoot people. And if people are so good with M79, once again, it should not affect them. It didn't affect anyone whent he startup time for barret was introduced. And dodging M79 bullets is BS, give me a video taken today of you dodging at least 5 in a row and I'll agree to you. I don't mind M79 at all, I just think it has a huge advantage over every gun in the game in well over most situations (close)

Offline Aquarius

• Soldier
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2007, 04:17:04 pm »
SDFilm, your point was M79 is cheap, which most experienced players should realise it's not true. If you count kamikaze tactic as "easy kills" than you simply suck in Soldat, period. It's almost like to be killed by a chainsaw, so you should feel ashamed and not even mention it.

LtKillroy, nobody said dodging M79 is extremely easy but it's fairly easy in many situations. If you would be able to dodge a M79 nade 5 times in a row it would practically mean 5:0 for you (unless you really suck with your Ruger). So STFU. Practice. Maybe you will get better with time and stop whining. Though some people never stop it, *cough* SDFilm *cough*.

Not that I'm against M79 startup time. M79 should be harder to use than other weapons, simply because, let's face it, for most people it's the coolest weapon in the game. They have a reason, it's the only primary which shoots explosives, it has a nice arc and lets you do tricks. And if people can choose between equal weapons, they will usually choose the coolest one.

Also I will repeat it again - you think M79 is cheap? Play a duel against me on any average size DM map like Jungle with secondaries turned off - but you will have to use M79 only and I will be able to use any other weapon. If you won't destroy me with the omg cheap and lame M79 it means you are just a liar, whiner and n00b.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 04:40:04 pm by Aquarius »

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2007, 04:50:11 pm »
SDFilm, your point was M79 is cheap, which most experienced players shoulde realise it's not true.

Could you expand on that, instead of simply saying that experianed players won't agree with me?

You said that it's the players fault for not learning how to dodge an M79. So I said that at close range it is very very hard; but at short-mid range it is possible to dodge, in which case you are right, the non-M79er should learn how to dodge to have a better chance against the M79er. I'm not nesseserily saying the M79 should be nerfed because it's good at what it does, I was simply stating it's qualities to the those people that seem to have forget them.

Here is my other post, if you didn't read it well enough the first time...

I despise the M79, but the reason why I'm not talking with the other Beta testers to nerf it is because it's not overpowered, it's just cheap; it acts as a good introductory weapon for newbs. The M79 is the weapon that lets you play in games without having such a nasty learning curve to grasp. If the newb gets better at the M79 he can decide to use a more challenging *cough*respectable*cough* weapon or they can try to get those harder medium-range M79 shots. Or if they really don't feel like challening themselfs, they can stick to the 'run&boom' "tactic" of M79ing.

The M79 is annoying, but Soldat needs it's newbs for it's playerbase to grow.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 05:15:41 pm by SDFilm »

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2007, 05:58:25 pm »
Not that I'm against M79 startup time. M79 should be harder to use than other weapons, simply because, let's face it, for most people it's the coolest weapon in the game. They have a reason, it's the only primary which shoots explosives, it has a nice arc and lets you do tricks. And if people can choose between equal weapons, they will usually choose the coolest one.
Uh, did I ever say it was cheap, lame, etc? I said it needed a startup time. When people see M79 threads, they instantly think the maker of the thread hates M79's. I don't. I just simply think it is a little too good. It gets more kills than most other weapons and is horribly easy. I don't hate it, I just think it is a little unbalanced. Like when your fighting one guy, you focus on him, and some idiot blows you up. If you look at my other posts concerning M79's, I defend every time when people say its lame.

Offline darkangel

• Soldier
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2007, 03:33:33 am »
in my opinion m79 is a pro gun cause trying to kill a guys whos spraing the sh(t out of u with one of the m79 shells is pretty hard  aaaa???, anyways if ur talking about  noob guns u  have to make  a post for ruger, rugers is the most noob weapon i ever seen in my life really is just like a backup weapon to me
redemption for the redemtion...cause I'I'ma Fallen Angel.
do u have what it take to be a fallen angel??

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2007, 04:57:15 am »
in my opinion m79 is a pro gun cause trying to kill a guys whos spraing the sh(t out of u with one of the m79 shells is pretty hard aaaa???

It's far too simplistic to just say 'M79 is pro as it only fires one while autos fire many'. There are more factors to consider.

anyways if ur talking about noob guns u have to make a post for ruger, rugers is the most noob weapon i ever seen in my life really is just like a backup weapon to me

IMO the semi-auto class of weapons are the hardest to master in the game. It takes skill to use the Ruger and Deagles, so the player is rewarded by having a very high damage-per-second weapon.

BTW, I appreciate that you are from Mexico, but please try not to use lazy English. Instead use 'you' instead of 'u', ‘your’ or ‘you’re’ instead of ‘ur’ and use capital letters at the start of a sentence. ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 04:58:58 am by SDFilm »

Offline Supernaut

• Major
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2007, 06:20:41 pm »
It is annoying on small maps with little space to move and dodge, but most people can't use it effectively on mid ranges so I don't know what the * your problem is. Why are people complaining about commonly used weapons that are easily countered? Play for a year, and say if you still have problems beating m79 guys...

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2007, 10:44:20 am »
It is supposed to be close range, so it is annoying on small maps (Like noo.. eh .. nuubia) on bigger it's just ... crappy.