Author Topic: EVE Online?  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
EVE Online?
« on: November 14, 2008, 07:29:46 pm »
I've known about this game for a while but I just decided to check it out today, and it looks fucking sexy

I don't know where I could buy a box copy from (QLD, Australia)  gametraders doesn't seem to have it or BigW

but that aside, does anyone here play?  Is it really time-consuming?  I dont really want to have to play it 24/7 and have no life to get anywhere (or anything like WoW for that matter).  Ive played a couple of spaceship/space simulator sorta games before (Evochron, some Millennium falcon simulator, and another old game I forget the name)  and I love RPGs,

so yeah if you have any real info on this game and what it's like please share ;)

Apparrently there's a few aussies on there too so..  I guess that means its supported here.

I could pay any ever-lasting subscription costs I guess.

Player since late 2007

Offline JupiterShadow

• Camper
  • MS Paint + Adobe Lighting effects FTW!
    • 55274-640-8484137-23948
Re: EVE Online?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 09:44:24 pm »
I played the trail. It sucks.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:26:50 pm »
I probably wouldn't mind a few hours basic learning curve and a bit of harcdore slow paced action, you do still get to fly your ship in real-time right? :P

Player since late 2007

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:12:08 pm »
Do they even sell EVE Online in boxes... anywhere?  I always thought it was online and only sold online.

My housemate plays it, seems like a decent game.  I suspect if I was a gamer, I'd play it.

Offline amb2010

• Camper
  • Fear the dot ...
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 11:29:32 pm »
Eve online doesn't come in a box, it's only online and is pay per month. A friend of mine has it and it looks pretty fun but not worth the monthly payment...of course I don't think any game should be pay per month. Also last time I checked I think it was 15USD(no clue what that is in Australia) to play.. There is a 14 day trial and I think a 30 day one on steam(or at least was one) that you should probably try to see if your computer can handle it/you like it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:31:12 pm by amb2010 »
And as the lyrics go in the United State's national anthem: "America, f**k YEAH!".

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 02:01:10 am »
well i played this game for 3 Mont's and well its my 3Th favorite game.
but its kinda expensive :o.
so if i find a free server i start playing it again like the old times :D
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 03:41:21 am »
It's lots of fun, at least to me anyhow; been playing for over a year now. It's not time consuming in the sense that you don't have to constantly play it, but it takes a long time to get anywhere. Case in point: me. I can fly a nice shineh battleship, but in the grand scheme I'm still fairly weak, even after a year. It's not like WoW where you can power level and start the endgame; there is no real endgame in EVE. You eventually join a large alliance and participate in the never ending power struggle for control of the thousands of star systems, where as of the last server patch large scale battles involving 500 or more people are now possible without lag.

There actually are (or at least were) boxed copies available, that had the game and one month of playtime, but you're unlikely to find them.

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 03:51:22 am »
is it true there's only one server?

lol, I would like to see that in real life (the server itself)

Player since late 2007

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 04:05:43 pm »
is it true there's only one server?

lol, I would like to see that in real life (the server itself)

Yes and no; the single server is really a massive farm of linked server blades; for the actual game processing, there are if I remember correctly around 190 blades, each with two Opteron CPUs and 4 gigs of RAM. These blades are in the process of being replaced on an on-demand basis with new blades, with two dual core Itaniums with 16 gigs of RAM. This in addition to the database blades, the RAMSANs, and the proxy blades which accept connections from players.

It is currently the largest supercomputer used in the gaming industry, and I've seen the server exceed over 40,000 simultaneous users, currently hovering around 33,800 right now. If anyone was wondering, they all run Windows(A mix of Server 2003 32 bit and Server 2003 64 bit I believe), and the backend database is MSSQL.

On another note, anyone want a 21 day trial of EVE? Anyone who subscribes online with a credit card within a week of the trial expiring gives me a bonus 30 days of gametime for referring them to the game under the buddy system; if you're interested PM me with your email address and I'll refer you. Alternatively, you can also get a 21 day trial through Steam, but that doesn't give me free gametime if you buy it :P
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:10:03 pm by chrisgbk »

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 04:18:58 pm »
Excuse me... (Google engine sound in background)

Moar Yahtzee
My friend plays(ed) it, to me it seemed pretty boring.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 04:31:07 pm »
Excuse me... (Google engine sound in background)

Moar Yahtzee
My friend plays(ed) it, to me it seemed pretty boring.

It's Yahtzee, he hates MMORPGS. :P Also, he restricted himself deliberately from joining a player run corporation and actually playing with others, which is where the fun is, although granted that's hard to do as a newbie with your lack of skills and general worthlessness. PvP is the cornerstone of EVE, and if you just do PvE alone all the time then yeah, it does get boring. Even mining is fun when you have people to do it with.

Offline Wormdundee

• Soldier
  • Ruger what?
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 08:48:33 pm »
I've heard its pretty decent, but from another forum I go to with a lot of ex-Eve players, recently it's been happening that those who have put a lot of time into the game aren't really 'superior' to 1 month new players.

For instance, one guy gave a story of how his 10 million isk battleship had trouble with a new players 10000 isk frigate. Of course, I don't know if this is a common thing or not, but from what I've heard the combat is not the most satisfying thing as travel is done via some sort of 'warp point' which provide easily campable choke points to pirates.

O, and the forum that I was talking about is here: http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php

It's a forum for Infinity: The Quest for Earth. Basically, it's a space mmo (made by one guy), set in a procedurally generated Milky Way. So he makes the algorithm, throws in a seed, and out pops a galaxy. So far he's got procedurally generated planets with craters, rivers, vegetation, landmasses, oceans, mountain ranges and some other things as well. I can't quite remember if he's gotten to doing stars/nebulae/black holes, but they're on the way.

Another interesting thing is that art assets still have to be made, but since it's only one guy, tons of models and textures have been contributed by the community and they're all looking really good. Right now the ships range from 15 meters to 5 kilometers, and there's also some city models. But, its at least a year away from beta, so it'll be quite a wait.

Offline Outcast

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • Semi-retired antagonist
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 02:48:45 am »
Eve online is a great game where you can can be whatever you want, a manufacturer, a trader, a mission runner, a pirate, ...
In a way I'm still sorry I quit and everytime I look at the site or see a mention of it I wish I had my old account back, but the game ruled my life so I quit.

The reason huge battleships have problems with frigates is because they have big ass guns that can't track such a small, fast moving frigate. Even torpedoes can't hit frigates because they're too slow.
You try hitting a fly with a gun, we'll see how it goes.
But if you're properly equiped for killing frigates(webbers that slow them down, fast tracking guns) you can easilly destroy a large number of them at once in a battleship as their damage potential and hitpoints are 10 times worse than yours. Same with tanking potential.
Travelling is done quite realistically, you have a huge number of systems that are connected to it's neighbouring systems via "stargates". It can take long hours to get from one edge of the map to the next. However if you waypoint your usual routes and land directly on the stargate instead of travelling that last 15km you have to usually, you can traverse quite fast and minimise getting caught by pirates at the gate. Landing right on the gate and jumping fast to the next system saves your ass there, but if they're on the other side too you're fucked as it takes some time to align to where you're warping, and to reach the 3/4 max speed you need to initialise warp drive, especially in big ships. The bigger they are the slower they are, and more expensive. Offcourse it's youre fault if you get caught by pirates in no security systems, you should always get intel from other travellers, corp mates or just check the map if there's a lot of activity. It's realistic.
Anyway the game is very deep, complex, beautiful and it never ends. A great pick for anyone who's looking to throw away the next few years of his gaming life.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 02:57:15 am by Outcast »
o/