Author Topic: knives rocks!!!11 maybe a bit too much?  (Read 21341 times)

Offline ElGato

• Camper
Re: knives rocks!!!11 maybe a bit too much?
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2007, 12:08:28 pm »
If I let someone holding a knife get within "point blank" range I deserve to die. Or anyone for that matter really.
[fist] Black Powa

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2007, 01:14:05 pm »
If I let someone holding a knife get within "point blank" range I deserve to die. Or anyone for that matter really.
Absolutely.

Well, except in certain circumstances... like extremely small maps or areas such as Nuubia and Tropiccave.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Supernaut

• Major
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2007, 01:40:16 pm »
Absolutely.

Well, except in certain circumstances... like extremely small maps or areas such as Nuubia and Tropiccave.
Spass is your friend, young padavan

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2007, 01:43:52 pm »
Spass is your friend, young padavan
Yes, thank you for pointing out information on a choice based on Soldat's weapons that I was already aware of. :P

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Supernaut

• Major
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2007, 02:06:22 pm »
No problemo seniore, feel free to pm me anytime ;)

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2007, 03:26:40 pm »
Absolutely.

or they charge at ya, which is pretty unavoidable.
Always remember the succubus...

Offline Supernaut

• Major
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2007, 03:40:52 pm »
Doing the backflip and jetting let's you avoid many of such atempts. You phail.

Offline wolfofman

• Major(1)
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2007, 04:06:47 pm »
I can't really decide if it is more useful than the socom or not, as they both have different uses, I tend to use the knife more.

Does anyone have some data on say how many kills in gathers and cws are attributed to knives and compare that to the number of socom kills.

Offline .Ryan.

• Soldier
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2007, 08:05:56 am »
It's true, I see a lot more people using knife now, it's the most common sec wep now? not sure but it's a lot more popular than back in 1.2.1 ect..

Offline Xaero

• Soldier
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2007, 08:08:24 am »
Knife rocks indeed.
It has been changed a lot since 1.2.x, and it's balanced by now.
If you want to kill with this weapon in a rush, in an attack or defending a raid, you will need skill. If you aren't fast enough, your aim isn't perfect, you're dead meat.

No changes needed.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2007, 04:53:27 pm »
Doing the backflip and jetting let's you avoid many of such atempts. You phail.

your reflexes arn't that fast, and half of the time you are not expecting it, so you can't dodge it. Period.

Noob

Date Posted: October 27, 2007, 05:52:19 pm
It's true, I see a lot more people using knife now, it's the most common sec wep now? not sure but it's a lot more popular than back in 1.2.1 ect..

the word your looking for rhymes with hoverpowered.

Offline Hello There

• Soldier
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2007, 05:20:17 pm »
Time for me to reply...

This can either be used as a rush and kill wep (close range + throw) or a timing and accuracy thing (chuck and pray). For me, I favor accuracy and timing...once you get the hang of hitting 1 in 3 shots. If this is overpowered, than everything is overpowered because there are somethings you can get too good at. Knife is one. Barrett is one. M79 is one. They all have weaknesses but if you train with them extensively they can all be used with skill...and anyone who does not respect those who have those skills are called noobs.

Nothing is overpowered in soldat.

There is my say.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2007, 05:57:13 pm »
Time for me to reply...

This can either be used as a rush and kill wep (close range + throw) or a timing and accuracy thing (chuck and pray). For me, I favor accuracy and timing...once you get the hang of hitting 1 in 3 shots. If this is overpowered, than everything is overpowered because there are somethings you can get too good at. Knife is one. Barrett is one. M79 is one. They all have weaknesses but if you train with them extensively they can all be used with skill...and anyone who does not respect those who have those skills are called noobs.

There is my say.
QFT.

QED.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2007, 05:59:16 pm »
Time for me to reply...

There is my say.
Time for me to reply...

There is my say.
QFT.

QED.

world would be a better place without people like you

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2007, 06:06:06 pm »
Time for me to reply...

There is my say.
Time for me to reply...

There is my say.
QFT.

QED.

world would be a better place without people like you

Would you like to explain, or is that just mindless flaming?

Offline Thyr

• Major(1)
  • {I-Ln} + Modder
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2007, 07:13:47 pm »
Wow excruciator, with a post like this you completely disqualify yourself as a person you can talk with.

You have a fixed opinion on this topic and just flame anyone who doesn't agree with you, its pointless to discuss anything with you. Perhaps you should think about respecting the opinion of other people before asking for them.

Offline freeloader

• Major(1)
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2007, 02:39:49 am »
You mentioned you're a styer user? There is rarely a time when the enemy can rush you without you killing them first. If you can't, then you deserve to die. This is assuming it's a 1 on 1. There are few moments that knifers can get up close to you and kill you. Or when they spawn. I acknowledge that the knife can kill you nearly instantly after they spawn. But that is one of the features, a anti-spawner. If you can only throw the knife after the same spawn delay after every other weapon, you would be mostly defenseless against sawers/M79/etc spawn killers.

In bigger firefights, there are more scenarios where the knifer can rush and kill you. One is either you're standing still or moving towards them. Another is when you don't expect it (in the back/from above) and there is not much anyone can do about it. Or there are just too many damn targets for you to take on. In these situations, any weapon can do this to you (except the minigun, lol minigun). Or if you play Snipe and Slice/Slicers. The delay time can be raised. But unless raised by an extreme amount, there will be little difference from the outcome. If you give them the time needed to throw the knife, you're dead. "Oh, but if I had more time or did more damage, you would be dead!" This argument can be thrown at any weapon. "If the minimi had less ammo, I would have gotten away with the flag!" If the knife did less damage or was no-longer a one hit killer, the weapon would be completely worthless. You would be better off with the socom. It's like people who whine about the saw. "omg u kill in 1 hit" Except they have to be IN YOUR FACE to hit you. The knife is the same, only a bit more range and more time needed to kill (delay throwing weapon) with a smaller availability for error. 

Also, what server(s) do you usually play on? What's your playing style?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 02:41:38 am by freeloader »

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2007, 11:24:50 am »
if you are going fast, you can actually appoach me fast enough to throw the knife.

yeap, knife is a anti spawn weapon, but the fact is that you gain 1 point everytime you anti spawn.
1 point doenst seem like much but it can decide the outcome of the match.

the delay of the knife is too $hort(hehe) that doenst affect the aim really. I liked the 1.3.1 knife balance because you have to have a really fast reaction in order to make a hit.(skill)
but now since the delay was decreased, there is much more time for people to aim and knife isnt so skilled anymore. Also in CTF rush kill takes on a really important role because you can sent people back without damaging yourself also slowing down the enemys advance. If you go really really slowly trying to avoid the knife, it will take you 2 times (guessing here, work with me) the time for you to reach the other end, and you will ecounter 2 times the ammount of the enemies. (after killing the 1st guy, you end up with 80%, after the 2nd, lets say 50%, and when you get to the flag, there will be more spawning so there is a much less chance that you will able to carry the flag back)
(work with me here people, I always had a hard time explaining stuff, and no, im not retarded  >:( )
its like making a decision between bad and the worse.

my playing style is gun gun gun, not nade gun nade (god I hate these damn noobs that cant gun fo' shizzle)

I...usually 1 on 1 since I dont have much time to gaz(15-30min for a gaz and you cant get out of it for no good reason  :-\) and if I have even less time I would be either in u13 DM(or other DMs) or any normal CTF that has people in it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 11:27:38 am by excruciator »

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2007, 02:48:35 pm »
Adjust your play style then, instead of asking everyone ho uses the knife to adjust theirs.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2007, 02:56:18 pm »
Adjust your play style then, instead of asking everyone ho uses the knife to adjust theirs.

soz, im not noob.

just saying that knife's role is way to important. In a game where everyone seeks balance (exept ^) there shouldn't be that kind of problem