Author Topic: SetminimumRespawn Time  (Read 4720 times)

Offline BombSki

• Flagrunner
    • Climbing-soldiers.net
Re: SetminimumRespawn Time
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 04:53:30 am »
To clear up the confusion: maxrespawntime == "wave" respawn time in soldat.ini (and that's how I referred to it earlier)
yes thats what i thought. you just confused me with:
CTF/INF/other game modes are based off of the wave respawn time, not max respawn

but to get back to the point, the max/wave respawntime is just an indicator of the respawntime, its not actually the 'maximum' time it will take you to spawn.

so if we dont have a maxrespawntime, we dont need a minimumrespawntime either, although i think optional features are always nice.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 05:42:54 am »
well lets say someone that is hosting a ctf server and he wants players to respawn on 5sec. always on 5 sec. then he could set minimum to 5 and waverespawn to 5...

was just some thought.. but if enesce says its not gonna be added...
That's just pointless. What you said means that you would respawn within 5-10 seconds. It would be pointless then to have two respawn times.

No, Wave Respawn is fine. It doesn't need to be screwed with.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Pie

• Flagrunner
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 05:57:49 am »
So what, if you had a max and a min, when would you spawn, in between them, then why not just have a set spawn of that middle value... Duh!!
Stop bitching about things that aren't incredibly useful or needed. So what if you have to wait an extra 5 seconds to go and die, Big fizz. Being a soldat is tough...
I would rather someone fix the"If you use a turret you get kicked for hacking" bug, before i see this.
Lol, internets.

Offline Aquarius

• Soldier
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 06:32:29 am »
Players respawn altogether in respawn waves, it means this idea simply wouldn't work.

Imagine the next respawn wave will be in 3 seconds. But what if the MinRespawnTime is higher than 3 seconds and now a player dies? The only logical solution would be to omit him in the next respawn wave - he would have to wait 3s+MaxRespawnTime for the second respawn wave. But then he would have to wait longer than MaxRespawnTime value, which means the real MaxRespawnTime would be MaxRespawnTime+MinRespawnTime.

It would be very confusing, and wouldn't work in many cases. For example:

Imagine MinRespawnTime = 6 and MaxRespawnTime = 8. It means in reality players would have to wait for a respawn 6-14 seconds.
Now try to set the MinRespawnTime and MaxRespawnTime values to make MinRespawnTime = 6 seconds and the real MaxRespawnTime = 8 seconds. Good luck...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 07:00:19 am by Aquarius »

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
  • Can't be arsed to remove christmas avatar
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 07:13:47 am »
But what is the point of it? There's nothing wrong with how respawns are working at the moment.
For regular soldat this is fine yes.

But for our script where we have progressive spawning and the ability to conquer bunkers, it is pretty annoying not having a fixed respawn time. Basically when you clear a bunker, you almost always have to deal with a lot of people respawning in it because for some stupid reason they respawn very fast and in groups when you're in their bunker. This introduces a bias for the team that is defending and is not good for game flow.

A workaround could be to have an option to disable respawning completely and a command to spawn a player manually then I'd be able to do it by means of scripting.
Or to make an option so you can switch between fixed respawn time and wave respawn time.

I agree that the statgun issue should be fixed first though.
#soldat.ttw #ttw.gather --- Quakenet!
http://ttwforums.com

Offline valion

• Soldier
  • you may run, you may hide. but still he comes
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 07:28:53 am »
i think people are just confusing the issue here.
it would be helpful to have a basic system theat allows the host to set the time in which people can respawn. e.g. 1-5 seconds for deathmatch 10-15 for trench wars. this makes it more infitting with games and makes the game better. it shouldnt be too difficult to script for someone skilled in scripting.
more important issues first then this.
priority order should be bugs-improvements-next version
Your signature is too big, please read the rules. Keep it under 4 lines of text.

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 08:20:40 am »
It is simply not possible to do this in a non-crappy way with the commands given at the moment Valion. Also, we want fixed spawntime, not a range of spawntimes with a randomly selected spawntime between that.

As I already said, bugs should have higher priority, yes... but a spawn mode like this or commands to control spawning would be nice.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 05:23:53 pm »
Then make the wave respawn bigger, or don't have all the spawns so close together that an enemy happens to be between them all when everyone respawns.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 07:20:59 pm »
Thanks for the input but in our case neither is a very good solution. The spawnpoints are spread all across the bunker already, but the bunkers aren't that big. Since the whole game mod is to advance and fall back bunkers we can't really place spawnpoints outside the bunker. Wave respawn is already quite large and going much farther like random between 0 and 15 seconds is just lame. It works the way it is now, but it could be better.