Author Topic: Contemplating my return...  (Read 789 times)

Offline Riax

• Major(1)
  • :M: Turbo Team!
    • Simplexity Network
Contemplating my return...
« on: October 09, 2007, 07:37:42 pm »
I'd like to begin by recognizing that all but a few of you probably don't care whether or not I resume posting on these forums. I mean, come on; I only have 25 posts and, as someone who started playing in version 1.3.1, I'm probably still a "newbie" in most of your minds. I've been contemplating becoming active here again since I decided to download the latest version about two weeks ago. You may have seen me (but probably not) in one or more of a handful of climb servers I've been going to and noticed something: six months of not playing can take a deadly toll on your ability jump, flip, and roll.

Why did I post in this forum (or at all), you ask? Whether or not I become active here again depends in no small part upon whether or not I resume development of Soldat Commander, a multi-function, all-in-one script I wrote before I left. In hindsight, I realize that I may have overreacted a bit when I shut down the project and stopped posting just over six months ago.

So, what I need from you now are your opinions as to whether or not I should resume development of my script. Would enough of you find it useful to warrant reopening the project? If so, will you question my header (yes, I'd be using the same one) this time? If so, you needn't use it; it's that simple.
Server Admin, MegaMod CTF

Founder, Simplexity Network // Fan, Machine Supremacy

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
Re: Contemplating my return...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 08:33:14 pm »
So what was the script about? I tried to find it out, but didn't want to read much.
urraka

Offline Riax

• Major(1)
  • :M: Turbo Team!
    • Simplexity Network
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 03:17:18 pm »
The following were parts of the script submission post.

Quote from: Riax
Script Name: Soldat Commander
Script Description: An all-in-one script created to make administration easier and provide
     a richer playing experience.
Original Author(s): Riax, Simplexity Network
Core Version: Soldat 1.3.1 Server v2.5.2+
Tested with: Soldat 1.3.1 Server v2.5.4
Quote from: Riax
Features:
All configuration is handled by an initialization file (SoldatCommander.ini)
Nearly every aspect of the script is configurable
Settings can optionally be reloaded every X minutes by a feature called ActiveConfig
Additional administrative commands (listed below)
Configurable multi-line event messages (listed below) with text tokens
Chat commands available to all players (listed below)
Option to disallow default bot names (useful for telling bots from players)
Ability to ban names and/or name patterns
Ability to permanently ban IPs and/or IP patterns (useful for keeping real ***holes
     banned, even after clearing banned.txt)
Tag protection (useful for clans)
Ban protection for members and/or admins (this does NOT protect against the
     permanent ban feature)
Configurable timed message (displayed via /say) of up to 5 lines
In-chat kill triggers (player will be killed if they say one of these words/phrases)

Since it doesn't say in the post, I'd like to mention that there are 13 additional administrative commands and 9 chat commands in the version I originally released.

With ScriptCore v2, that feature list could indeed be built by using a few dozen different scripts at the same time, but would it really be worth the extra CPU usage if they were available using a single script?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 03:29:04 pm by Riax »
Server Admin, MegaMod CTF

Founder, Simplexity Network // Fan, Machine Supremacy

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 04:26:56 am »
just finish it man! Otherwise all your work was for nothing?

Offline chrisgbk

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »
just finish it man! Otherwise all your work was for nothing?

It wasn't for nothing; he uses it himself and that's use enough; releasing it publically is for other peoples benefit. He originally left because 2 people were bitching at him for the license he released it under, instead of appreciating the work he had put into it.