Author Topic: annoying words  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Vltava

• Camper
  • Mr Avocado
Re: annoying words
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 02:26:31 pm »
Mispronounced: "onvelope"

That's an acceptable pronunciation.

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 02:48:20 pm »
Just for the general information of everyone, I frequently use all of the words that have been mentioned and make an effort to make them more commonplace.

I also use all the words that are eventually going to be posted. And all others that haven't been said or don't exist but are equally as, or more, annoying.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2007, 02:55:17 pm »
You don't know how to set Firefox to UK English?

Never tried, but I assumed the programmers at Mozilla may have been intelligent enough to let FireFox load language settings from windows instead of making the assumption that everybody ithe entire universe who uses the internet lives in the United States. And as far as I'm aware there isn't even an option to select a language in FireFox's options.

Any English words that become Americanized/incorrect

Some examples: Color, Plow, Realize, Airplane, Donut.

Which in real English would be: Colour, Plough, Realise, Aeroplane, Doughnut.

What's more annoying is how Firefox is highlighting those real English words and saying they're wrong, despite the fact that my windows is set to UK English.

>.> Cry me a river, a country thats separated by an ocean from yours spells some words different... its not just you that I am saying this too. All the people that make a big deal about something so trivial.

I'm just saying if they're going to use English as their country's first language then they should have the common decency both to pronounce and spell it properly instead of altering and adapting spellings to make it easier for the less intelligent persons in their population.

The Australians don't seem to have a problem with it.

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 03:05:24 pm »

Never tried, but I assumed the programmers at Mozilla may have been intelligent enough to let FireFox load language settings from windows instead of making the assumption that everybody ithe entire universe who uses the internet lives in the United States. And as far as I'm aware there isn't even an option to select a language in FireFox's options.

Any English words that become Americanized/incorrect

Some examples: Color, Plow, Realize, Airplane, Donut.

Which in real English would be: Colour, Plough, Realise, Aeroplane, Doughnut.

What's more annoying is how Firefox is highlighting those real English words and saying they're wrong, despite the fact that my windows is set to UK English.

>.> Cry me a river, a country thats separated by an ocean from yours spells some words different... its not just you that I am saying this too. All the people that make a big deal about something so trivial.

I'm just saying if they're going to use English as their country's first language then they should have the common decency both to pronounce and spell it properly instead of altering and adapting spellings to make it easier for the less intelligent persons in their population.

The Australians don't seem to have a problem with it.

America was founded by people that wanted to get away from England, heck we ever fought a war to get England out of our country... Is it really that surprising we do a few things different?
@ii

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 03:06:38 pm »
oh please, we made it that way because you guys didn't even have your own "proper" spelling rules, I have a 1600's primary source document to back that up!
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Vltava

• Camper
  • Mr Avocado
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 03:19:06 pm »

Go to tools, options, advanced, general.

Aren't you making the assumption that programming is easy? Is there any browser that does so? Perhaps you should switch to IE 6, surely the best browser ever.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 03:23:22 pm »
programmers do seem to forget things a lot, Age of Empires 3 has been out since 2005 and it still doesn't have some basic bug fixes.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2007, 05:25:17 pm »
Scalp and thump.

Burning scarfs since 1988